yautja

SP418 enclosure size

Hey,

I currently have an older 15" SSD with copper coils (before they automatically came with them lol) in a 3.5cf enclosure tuned to 34hz getting 1000rms. Unfortunately, I have gotten use to it and it doesn't feel nearly loud enough. So now I am going to get a SP418 running off a Hifonics HFi3000D at 1 ohm. Question is, what size enclosure would you guys recommend? I drive a very small 2008 Hyundai Accent hatchback, and will have to take out one of the back seats for this thing lol. The dimensions I have available are W=23", D=44" and H=24", so about 11cf to work with. I was thinking around 6.5-7cf tuned to 30Hz? What do you guys think?

Was helping a friend build a enclosure for a sp4 18 and was told from a lil birdy to do 8 cf tuned to 32

Yes, I can see they recommend that on their site quite easily. However I bet those specs also depend on the type of power you're putting to the sub, and what kind of sound you're after, which they do not specify. That's why I'm asking if anyone has any experience with the subs personally. I don't want to build a 8cf enclosure and be putting max power on it and end up pushing it beyond its limits. Thanks anyways though.....

But to be more specific, I'm definitely doing a ported enclosure, sub facing up and the port facing forward. I mostly listen to rap and love the lows so that's what I'm going after. The amp is a little overrated from what I've heard, so I'll probably be sending it closer to 2200-2500 watts instead of 3000.

1. This sub JUST came out so there will be little personal experience with the actual sub.

2. You can always lower internal volume later but you would end up changing tuning as well.

3. You would not hear an audible difference between 2500 and 3000w so stating that really doesn't help us.

Personally since it's a hatchback I would do sub up port firing rearward on the hatch. If you are going to be powering it more than it is rated for I would suggest a smaller box, but as I stated previously you can change volume later by adding 45's in the corners. If you're looking for more output I would change the internal volume until you like it, that's basically what I had done with my 18" ZCON, first I tuned at 32 hz and wasn't satisfied with that so I then added larger and larger 45's in the corners to raise tuning till I was satisifid.

1. This sub JUST came out so there will be little personal experience with the actual sub.

2. You can always lower internal volume later but you would end up changing tuning as well.

3. You would not hear an audible difference between 2500 and 3000w so stating that really doesn't help us.

Personally since it's a hatchback I would do sub up port firing rearward on the hatch. If you are going to be powering it more than it is rated for I would suggest a smaller box, but as I stated previously you can change volume later by adding 45's in the corners. If you're looking for more output I would change the internal volume until you like it, that's basically what I had done with my 18" ZCON, first I tuned at 32 hz and wasn't satisfied with that so I then added larger and larger 45's in the corners to raise tuning till I was satisifid.

I'm not worried about the audible difference between 2500-3000 watts. I just wasn't sure what the mechanical limits are of the sub. I didn't want to put it in the biggest enclosure recommended and then give it a possible 500 watts rms more than what its rated for and pray nothing breaks. I'm sure it's a beefy sub, but it's also an expensive one and I would hate to break it and not have it covered under warranty due to an improper enclosure. That's why i was thinking of going a little smaller, 6.5-7cf just in case like you said. Hmmm, maybe I should just go with an AA Mayhem since this sub hasn't been out very long and not too many have experience with it. I'm not sure, guess I will have to sleep on this one and read some more reviews on the AA Mayhem. Thanks

They're rated at 2500 watts at the enclosure ranges that we give...you will be fine with that provided you have your subsonic filter set up properly.

Take a look at the BTL N2 if you think you can like the Mayhem.

I have a 12" N2 that I love and I've heared a 15" in an optimal ported box : it's amazing, fantastic !!!

You'd better put a 15" sub in an optimal enclosure rather than squeeze an 18" in a too small of a box !

You could Keep your back seatsby getting a 15" in a good ported box made for your hatch. It will be loud too !

Good luck

They're rated at 2500 watts at the enclosure ranges that we give...you will be fine with that provided you have your subsonic filter set up properly.

Ahh ok thanks. I have decided to go with the SP418, will be ordering it tonight! :) Will be doing 8cf tuned to 30hz, and I'm changing the amp to a soundstream rubicon 2500. Amp is on the way as we speak!!! Quick question NDM, I actually live in Las vegas. Is there any way I can just pick the sub up from your location when it's done so I don't have to pay shipping? Thanks

Ordered the sub last night. Only thing left now is to buy a new HO alt. Everything should be installed in about a month. I'll let you guys know how it performs.

Should have waited..you could have just picked it up and not paid shipping.

It's all good. Already sent an email and they'll let me know when it's ready and I can pick it up. Already refunded my shipping too :)

It's all good. Already sent an email and they'll let me know when it's ready and I can pick it up. Already refunded my shipping too :)

You should come to a bass ballin comp after you get that installed, its always nice to meet fellow bass heads in Vegas!

You should come to a bass ballin comp after you get that installed, its always nice to meet fellow bass heads in Vegas!

Sounds good. I've been meaning to go to some comps just to see what I meter but I always forget lol. When is the next comp? I want to get my 15" SSD metered and then see the difference when I get the SP4 installed! Currently have the Rubicon 2500 hooked up to the SSD and it's a bit louder now lol.

Sounds good. I've been meaning to go to some comps just to see what I meter but I always forget lol. When is the next comp? I want to get my 15" SSD metered and then see the difference when I get the SP4 installed! Currently have the Rubicon 2500 hooked up to the SSD and it's a bit louder now lol.

i Would like to hear your system, i have a btl 15 N2 in a trunk and i hit 141.9 on music. i would like to see what that ssd could hit. Im not sure when the next one is just check the website bassballin.com for upcoming shows.

Sorry it took so long to update. Right now I have the 18" SP4 in a 8cf enclosure tuned to 32Hz powered by my Soundstream Rubicon 2500. However the gains are only set to give it about 1200 watts as I only have a 90 amp alternator without any extra batteries. Voltage is usually around 13.5V but sometimes dips down to 12.5 on really bass heavy songs. I will be upgrading to a 200 amp alt. and some batteries eventually. As of right now I'm loving this sub. It's much louder than the 15" SSD I had in there before and can't wait to give it the full 2500 RMS. I also found that I really like the sound of 18's. The lows are just awesome. I'll try to take some pics here soon and post them.

Never posted pics or an update... How is the SP4 with it's RMS wattage?

That was 6 months ago and he still only has 9 posts total. I think its safe to say he doesnt visit much. LOL

welcome

How is the SP4 with it's RMS wattage?

As opposed to what?