Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

Sundown E-15 Review by Skip01

Originally posted on CACO :

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/sundown-audio/112578-sundown-400w-e-series-15-*vid*-*review*.html

----------

Quoted from Skip01's post below.

----------

Im horrible at writing reviews, but ill try too convey what im thinking too words.

Well I guess ill start off by saying.....:thumbsup:

Thumbs up Jacob on another HomeRUN id say.

Just when we was all too believe SA was arguably the best bang for the buck sub out there....you come out with something that trumps it in price, and in my eyes....doesnt lose hardly any of the great qualities that we all loved about the SA.

So when you pull it out of its packaging youre thinking, Hmmm...not much ass too it:icon_smile:.....

My expectations was for it too be like most other subs in that lower rms range....like no matter what it should sound weak on low end, and mostly hollow when trying too put in a decent size ported box.

Boy was i wrong.

The first thing i noticed was the lowend.....JEBUS.....i mean it slaps you in the face when youre not expecting it.......its so unexpected from a sub in its range and cost point.

It really sounds like a big boy woofer, lol, whatever that means, sounds so full and deep in all ranges.

I had it in my daily challenge box(4.5cu@32hz) which some might think on the big side but it just works....and this sub thrived in it when i had low power on it.....prolly coulda been a lil smaller for peak SPL...but for daily i liked it

I couldnt find a weak spot on it.....everything i played it just did it well.....BME CLick, Bass Ballin, Billie Jean, Beamer Benz(too name the Bs, lol)...Billie Jean was prolly my fav performance of the sub....just plays that bass line so smooth, every tone in its place where it should be....ear sex

Even after numerous full tilt burps(3500 @ 1ohm) it still showed no signs of fatigue....just smiled and said....Welll?

Im rambling here....so ill just say.....for the price, i find this damn near unbeatable for a daily driver.....price, performance, quality, just all exceeds expectations.

Thanks again Jacob for this sub :hello::thumbsup:

Sounds like some great results from a low priced sub. Sundown does it again!!!

impressive numbers :drink40:

A couple questions.... These are ones Jacob would probably know best... I know the recommended enclosure specs for a 15 are 3.5 cubes @ 35Hz. I want to do the 3.5 cubes, but whats the lowest tuning you recommend? I was thinking 28-30Hz because I really love the low low bass. Second question is, what do you recommend for port area per cube? I was thinking 12.5 in^2, do I need more? This is for a daily SQ setup. I will be powering one 15 with 500w. Any help will be very much appreciated!!

A couple questions.... These are ones Jacob would probably know best... I know the recommended enclosure specs for a 15 are 3.5 cubes @ 35Hz. I want to do the 3.5 cubes, but whats the lowest tuning you recommend? I was thinking 28-30Hz because I really love the low low bass. Second question is, what do you recommend for port area per cube? I was thinking 12.5 in^2, do I need more? This is for a daily SQ setup. I will be powering one 15 with 500w. Any help will be very much appreciated!!

You can absolutely tune to 28-30 Hz, no problem !

Honestly 12.5 per cubic foot is too much for these daily. As they are a smaller motor driver they won't pressurize the port like a bigger motor driver... you would be more on par with 4-8 in^2 per cube. Which is anywhere from a single 4" aero-port to a single 6" aero-port.

The smaller port will have a broader bandwidth as well.

Honestly 12.5 per cubic foot is too much for these daily. As they are a smaller motor driver they won't pressurize the port like a bigger motor driver... you would be more on par with 4-8 in^2 per cube. Which is anywhere from a single 4" aero-port to a single 6" aero-port.

Thanks for the reply! And sounds good. It'll be some time before I get it. Every paycheck I get is gone soon as I get it haha. Saving for a car. But, I already have the amp... Its a Fosgate R500.1. Sorry I'm rambling, lol, I'm just excited, it will def be an upgrade over my sealed Rockford P2 12". I wanna do a slot port (just personal preference), I should still follow the 4-8 in^2 right? I was thinking a port 14.5" tall x 2" wide x 23" long, its just a hair over @ 8.25 in^2 and a 28Hz tune. Does this sound about right to you?

Thanks for the reply! And sounds good. It'll be some time before I get it. Every paycheck I get is gone soon as I get it haha. Saving for a car. But, I already have the amp... Its a Fosgate R500.1. Sorry I'm rambling, lol, I'm just excited, it will def be an upgrade over my sealed Rockford P2 12". I wanna do a slot port (just personal preference), I should still follow the 4-8 in^2 right? I was thinking a port 14.5" tall x 2" wide x 23" long, its just a hair over @ 8.25 in^2 and a 28Hz tune. Does this sound about right to you?

Yes, still go with the suggested range -- 28-29 in^2 is MORE than enough port for the E-15.

Yes, still go with the suggested range -- 28-29 in^2 is MORE than enough port for the E-15.

Ight, thanks again man. Oh, one last question.... after I get this sub... what do I have to do to get my hands on a Team Sundown decal?

Team Sundown decals are for our SPL team -- regular Sundown Audio decals can be purchased by anyone.

Team Sundown decals are for our SPL team -- regular Sundown Audio decals can be purchased by anyone.

Alright, I think I know what I want to do.... Although I tend to change my mind many time about things like this. haha. One E-15 D4 @ 2 Ohms on 500w in 4 ft^3 @ 30Hz with one 6" aero (17" long) which is 7.1 in^2 port area per cube. :D

Alright, I think I know what I want to do.... Although I tend to change my mind many time about things like this. haha. One E-15 D4 @ 2 Ohms on 500w in 4 ft^3 @ 30Hz with one 6" aero (17" long) which is 7.1 in^2 port area per cube. :D

That's a really small port.

Plz read Jacob and I's convo further up the page to understand why. :fing34:

Plz read Jacob and I's convo further up the page to understand why. :fing34:

I've never had issues with smaller motor and large ports......

That should do very nicely.

It's not the size of the port but how you use it!

Sign in to follow this