EmanAbela

Increasing bass frequency response on bass tube - Pioneer The Pump TS-

Hi all,

This is my first on the forum so please bear with me. I just installed a bass tube in my hatchback Toyota Yaris, the Pioneer ts-wx20lpa http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/archive/TS-WX20LPA/index.html. The sub is hooked with the factory oem h/u, therefore I installed a high/low converter, the exact model being this one XScorpion LC09 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_40150_Xscorpion-LC09.html . The power cable is a standard cable which came with the sub and is directly connected with the car battery (no capacitor or fuse). The sound is quite good and solid considering it is a bass tube, however I notice that at certain very low frequencies the bass response suffers and the sub starts to struggle. For example take Phil Collins - In the Air tonight, that deep bass hardly comes out at all. Gain on the sub is at almost half way, maybe pushed a little more, 1 o'clockish

I would like any suggestion from you experts if I can do anything to improve my setup and improve my frequency response. Thank you

Most any OEM head unit these days uses all sorts of factory eq and high pass filters provide the best sound for the vehicle, and to filter lower freq's that can sound crappy, or that are just not reliably able to be reproduced my the oem speakers. Where your freq curve from and aftermarket radio would look flat like this..

----------------------------------- your oem signal may look more like this ---/\---/---\----\_________

If that makes sense at all. Ideally you would want to replace your factory head unit to obtain a flat starting point, and add a good parametric eq to tune the actually freq response characteristics of the vehicle...

If you are just trying to add a little bass, My suggestion would be to either live witch what you purchased, or possibly try adding a processor such as the AudioControl Epicenter to restore rolled off lower frequency.

Great info jdblya ! Well replacing the h/u in the first place is the best way to go, I perfectly agree. The reason I didn't replace it is that we have a high level of theft in cars in our area, replacing the factory h/u would definitely attract more attention. Apart from that, I am doing this cable thing to learn something as well and get ma hands dirty a little. I will certainly consider a processor in the future, seems quite a pretty device to get those deep lows

So finally I managed to hook the sub directly to the h/u using the sp input, everything went fine but still I didn't get any significant difference by eliminating the adapter. The strange thing was that the signal was rather weak, I had to set the sub gain nearly to full to get nearly the same power, and still it was not that loud