Sign in to follow this  
fearlessgangsta

Good protein supplements

I have just started to incorporate protein into my workout. I work at a grocery store where we sell whey protein, and different types of powders for shakes along with different types of Bars, and stuff. They only protein stuff I have tried was a Shredder Shake from Smoothie King. It was pretty good after I got over the protein after taste. I had the chocolate one if it makes a difference. I also noticed they sell a Jerky stick that is high in protein.

Are the drink/shake mixes any good, and what ones do you recommend? Also what are some other good supplements that contain protein?

I have just started to incorporate protein into my workout. I work at a grocery store where we sell whey protein, and different types of powders for shakes along with different types of Bars, and stuff. They only protein stuff I have tried was a Shredder Shake from Smoothie King. It was pretty good after I got over the protein after taste. I had the chocolate one if it makes a difference. I also noticed they sell a Jerky stick that is high in protein.

Are the drink/shake mixes any good, and what ones do you recommend? Also what are some other good supplements that contain protein?

shakes are just easier, look around the fitness section for more info...

I have to switch it up on flavors. What's your goal? Build size? Lose weight?

Whey protein is really only great for you post workout. Its a fast digesting protein. Protein from whole foods is better throughout the rest of the day. If you cant, a blend with casein in it is better. Its just a pain because casein is more expensive. I use dymatize elite whey for post workout. Jerky is a great protein source BUT its usually LOADED with soduim.

I definitely agree with arctic. Post workout dextrose (sugar) and Whey are the best for you. It's really one of the only few times where your body can use processed sugar more effectively than other carbs for recovery.

If you are looking for something pre and post work out (though I think post workout is really the best time) then look into whey.

If you are looking into protein through out your day you need to first look into natural sources such as chicken, salmon, and tuna.

If you can't stomach a natural source for whatever reason or want something different look into Casein. The one big reason I say this is because casein just taste better and it will be more enjoyable for you and also has the benefit of digesting more slowly to theoretically make you feel more full for longer.

If you don't have any issues with dairy, then just use Whey. Read on the nutrition / serving size labeling before buying because some stuff has a lot more flavoring/filler then actual protein, but it may be easier to drink for you. Personally I try to buy Whey without any flavoring, but some people can't stand the taste cause they bitches. tongue.png

I try to get most of my protein from food, and supplement the rest with Whey. IE: I weigh 135lbs, and I shoot for at least 160g of protein per day.

six glasses of milk = 12cups, 12x8g protein = 96g protein

can of sardines, 24g protein

4 eggs, 4x6g = 24g protein

-----------------------------------

144g, then I'll take 30g of whey or so.

Milk is about 80% casein and 20% whey, so if you drink milk, you get the best of both worlds so to speak.

Casein does have a slower digesting rate then Whey, but that doesn't mean you couldn't sip Whey throughout the day, or take it with a meal to slow down the digestion rate.

Edited by stefanhinote

I wouldn't consider supplementing protein unless you are already consuming 20-30 grams every three waking hours via whole foods.

I hit 50-100 g of protein per day just from shakes. Its worked pretty well for me. I weigh 175 and take about 200-250 g per day.

One thing I used to do was make quick simple shakes with this thing called "magic bullet". Its like a blender and cup in one, so you just blend it and drink it from inside the cup. Easy to clean.

Anyway, soy milk + protein + fresh fruits. Tastes great and a good way to hit those macros.

www.supplementwarehouse.com MHP's "Up Your Mass" is the best weight gainer out there IMO it has the best flavor of any i have ever tried and you can bulk quick if you drink a shake between every meal. drink one when you wake up, drink one on your way to work after breakfast, drink one in between breakfast and lunch, you get my drift? stuff taste AWESOME and has a ton of calories. if your looking just for protein, i would just get a whey protein. i didn't read the thread so excuse me if i'm not in the ball park with my answer. what are your goals over all?

Depends on your goals. If you're trying to body build and you're an ectomorph, you could try mass gainers which are powders full containing carbs and protein along with a lot of other micros. If you're not looking to bump up size and/or just looking to maintain weight, stick to whey protein or get your protein from whole foods. Whatever is most convenient. As far as types of protein (casein, whey, egg, etc) they all have their purposes. Casein is usually ingested right before you go to bed so your body has something to nom on while you sleep, and repairs muscles effectively. Whey, like as many people mentioned, digests quickly. Usually they're taken right after workouts. Egg is somewhere in the middle.

If you're going to stick with whey, they only real problem you'll have is picking the brand, which usually determines how well it is going to blend and what it's going to taste like. If you don't mind taste or flavors, get any old cheap whey protein, even if it's generic. Strictly for whey protein, make sure you check the ingredients label and make sure you're getting quality calories from protein, and not from sugar or anything like that.

I personally go with a whole health supplement called Vega One. It has protein as well as every other nutrient your body needs all from natural sources. It is like protein powder in that a smoothie is the standard delivery vehicle, or it tastes fine just mixed with water. I like to tell people about it as its the only supplement I have ever taken that I feel truly makes a difference. Just makes your body feel good and ready all day. Look it up