Sign in to follow this  
suicidal

Suicidal Jimmy

I figured I would go ahead and start a build log to keep track of my progress. My current vehicle is a 1994 GMC Jimmy 4 door 4wd. I haven't had a system in any of my vehicles in a very long time, and for some reason i got the itch. So, this build began.

The Truck:

c6936bff.jpg

First, I built this box to put in it, 4 ft^3 tuned to 33Hz (Thanks to Duane on this forum for the design):

c8e56e85.jpg

I hadn't used a jig saw in quite some time and was a bit rusty, so the speaker cutouts were too big and they were leaking. I was going to replace the top panel and redo the cuts, but before I could do that I had someone stop by the shop and offer me some cash for the box so I sold it before i was able to correct my mistake.

with the material left over from the first box, i built a 3 ft^3 sealed box:

00fa2027.jpg

This is the box i am currently running, but was disappointed with the output, so i will likely be building another ported box for these 12's.

a shot from inside the box of the RE SE 12:

717bd5b2.jpg

The amp i'm using is a Crunch PZA-1500.1 its a class a/b amp. I have no idea what this amp actually puts out RMS:

61fa3f76.jpg

In the pic of the amp you can see my homemade cat 5 RCA's

For wiring, i scored a 25 ft roll of 1/0 welding cable for $20 so that is what i used for my big 3 upgrade, and for my run to my amp.

Pic of the grounds for the big 3:

cd31bc9f.jpg

all wired up:

13fc5cca.jpg

The battery i am running is a cheap autozone battery that came with the truck. I am researching and trying to find a good replacement for it.

Even with the big 3 upgrade, i my lights still dim (not as much as before the upgrade) so i will be wiring this up as soon as i get a couple more fuse holders:

aaf53bd8.jpg

And last but not least This is what I am going to be putting in the Jimmy in the near future:

0f4e140a.jpg

d2cae644.jpg

466f8593.jpg

I purchased these sa-8's from Alton here on the forum. I still need to find a suitable amp for these. I am looking for something that will put out ~800w at 2ohm

I will update this thread further when i build my box for the 8's and when i start working on a front stage.

Looking good man

Nice score on the welding cable! Me and 14k <3 welding Cable.

Also, for future prefernce, if you cut the cutout too big, another option would have been to simple had another baffle on top, I'm not sure how this would effect tuning, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been an audible difference.

What made you go with the SA8s? Just curious, you have a of space in that jimmy to work with, I"m assuming, IMO, I would have went with some more cone area.

I love the engines in those Jimmys though, man those things can move, but mpg can be disappointing I'm sure lol.

Well looking great so far, keep up the great work :WELCOME:

Note*

Did you put Yukon Rims on there? captain.gifNice Tire rack too!

I love welding cable tooo!

Looking good man

Also, for future prefernce, if you cut the cutout too big, another option would have been to simple had another baffle on top, I'm not sure how this would effect tuning, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been an audible difference.

What made you go with the SA8s? Just curious, you have a of space in that jimmy to work with, I"m assuming, IMO, I would have went with some more cone area.

I love the engines in those Jimmys though, man those things can move, but mpg can be disappointing I'm sure lol.

Looking good man

My brother in law is a welder, so i get welding cable pretty regularly. I have a 50ft roll of #1 that i'm going to be using on a K5 project that i scored for free. :drink40:

I thought about doing another baffle...but like i said, i sold the box before i had a chance to mess with it.

I decided to go with the SA-8's to save space actually. not all the time, but i need cargo area when i go camping in the summer/fall, so i figure instead of going with out a system i'll have something small. so pretty much, i have 2 systems for the jimmy. LOL. one for when i don't need cargo area, and one for when i go camping or offroading or whatever.

As far as the engine goes, it is a beast. You can tell from the wiring pic that it is very dirty. I take it offroad every chance i get and put it through hell. In the city i get 10-11 mpg, on the highway about 17-18. It sucks, but its fun to drive.

Note*

Did you put Yukon Rims on there? captain.gifNice Tire rack too!

No sir, those are stock rims on 4wd s-series trucks for those years. The Yukon rims are 6 lug and would require an adapter to work with the s-series. And thanks. I love my roof rack.

I love welding cable tooo!

This is my first time using it. But i don't think i'll ever use anything else from now on.

lookin good so far... and yes i <3 my 4/0 welding cable

lookin good so far... and yes i <3 my 4/0 welding cable

thanks!

small update. Wired up my kinetik today. It made a HUGE difference.

11958e45.jpg

I think the next thing i do is take a vacuum to my truck. LOL. it needs it terribly.

looks good bro