Sign in to follow this  
EmanAbela

In Search of 6.5" Front Components for Yaris Hatchback

Hi guys,

I am considering doing an upgrade on my factory speakers. I have a Toyota Yaris Hatchback with a current setup of stock head unit, stock speakers, and a pioneer bass tube (The Pump TS-WX20LPA). I am not into SPL, rather a solid SQ which at least I can impress my friends with and which I can enjoy listening of course. I live in a small country and the choice of brands is rather limited and few shops let you listen to the speakers before actual installation. So I'm counting on you guys to help me in making a good choice :fing34:

Right now on top of my list are the Focal Access 165A or the Kicker KS. I also went to a shop which supplies Hertz (I heard they also make good comps), but more stock is coming in a few weeks time, so I shall call again.

Any suggestion much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi guys,

I am considering doing an upgrade on my factory speakers. I have a Toyota Yaris Hatchback with a current setup of stock head unit, stock speakers, and a pioneer bass tube (The Pump TS-WX20LPA). I am not into SPL, rather a solid SQ which at least I can impress my friends with and which I can enjoy listening of course. I live in a small country and the choice of brands is rather limited and few shops let you listen to the speakers before actual installation. So I'm counting on you guys to help me in making a good choice :fing34:

Right now on top of my list are the Focal Access 165A or the Kicker KS. I also went to a shop which supplies Hertz (I heard they also make good comps), but more stock is coming in a few weeks time, so I shall call again.

Any suggestion much appreciated. Thank you.

If you are limited to what you can find locally your best bet is to demo everything that you can. A solid front stage is much more varied from person to person than any other aspect of car audio in my opinion. Listen to as many different sets as you can and go from there.

Thank you for your input ricksi30. What exactly do mean by demoing? I already streamed some youtube vids to get an idea (of course it still varies greatly when the sound is loaded into the car). Still I want to get some opininons what you pros think about the aforementioned comps. Thanks again for your help

Do not base any decision making on watching Youtube videos.

People have different tastes as to what sounds good to them. For instance: an aluminum tweeter may sound too bright to one person, while another loves it.

I've used some lower line hertz in the past, and heard a few more expensive lines from Hertz, all of which I enjoyed.

I also have the Focal Access 165A in one of our vehicles, it's not my daily driver so I haven't paid enough attention to give any in depth review, but it sounds good for what it is, and how it's installed.

I hope you plan on using an amplifier.

As the general census seems to be: try to hear as many speakers as you can locally. Sound boards are far from perfect, but it may give you a better idea of the speaker's tonality compared to another.

Edited by stefanhinote

Just my personal opinion : try to listen to the K series from Focal. I love them, ...but many people don't like their tweeters. You need to listen to them to judge !

I don't know if the Access line sounds good enough for you !

Hertz is a very respectable brand. they make very good speakers.

Like Stefanhinote told you : get an amplifier (a 2 channel or a small 4 channel amplifier to run bridged) for the speakers to fully enjoy them. Component speakers need power to really shine.

Cheers guys, fortunately the Hertz guy is willing to let me listen to the speakers and also heard good reviews about them. They do not seem to be pricey neither, at least when compared to the focal. Unfortunately the focal K series I'm afraid that is out of my price range. And yes I am planning on buying an amp. Still haven't decided if it shall be 2 or 4 channel amp to hook two rears in the future

Edited by ea25

Rears is a personal choice, I don't like any music behind me.

HAT Imagines all the way. I have the Focal access A1's right now just for rear fill and Imagines in the front its absolutely crazy the difference between the two sets of speakers. I cut the front and sit in the back and demo the focals and then cut the back and demo the imagines and its insane how much the imagines beat them in every part of the spectrum, bass mid bass or treble. The imagines simply put them to shame.

HAT Imagines all the way. I have the Focal access A1's right now just for rear fill and Imagines in the front its absolutely crazy the difference between the two sets of speakers. I cut the front and sit in the back and demo the focals and then cut the back and demo the imagines and its insane how much the imagines beat them in every part of the spectrum, bass mid bass or treble. The imagines simply put them to shame.

terrible information dude. any comparison would have to identical installation. flipping between speakers installed in the rear and speakers in the front doors is in no way a far comparison.

terrible information dude. any comparison would have to identical installation. flipping between speakers installed in the rear and speakers in the front doors is in no way a far comparison.

Exactly.

Same thing as saying you saw a Ferrari in bumper to bumper traffic, and a mustang driving down a barren road. The mustang was going faster, therefore it's faster then a Ferrari?

Speakers can only do so much, it's all about the install.

Thank you guys for your suggestions, today my friend demoed the Kicker KS. I must admit that I was not impressed as far as SQ goes, however they are very solid and remain clean even at higher levels.