edouble101

2- IB315 in the trunk

smile.png

I only did a 40.x today sad.png

Comps are a lot of fun, I am hooked!

I am going to try a talk my wife into letting me use her car as a burp car :)

I originally planned on running my mids vertically, in the a-pillars. With the drivers angled right in that setup it just didnt look good :(

So on top the dash they go. The tweeters will go in the a-pillar.

The driver's side is started.

EClarkPhoto-7282.jpg

EClarkPhoto-7286.jpg

I will be parallel wiring the 8ohm drivers.

EClarkPhoto-7287.jpg

only 2 pics? wtf. Thats like, only showing me one titt :(

Curious how it will sound as most arrays function well vertically, but horizontally--hmm. :P

:popcorn:

only 2 pics? wtf. Thats like, only showing me one titt sad.png

Haha funny shit!

BTW there are 3 pics! HA! lol

Curious how it will sound as most arrays function well vertically, but horizontally--hmm. tongue.png

What would be the diffenece between this and a bigger single driver?

....we will see!

Haha funny shit!

Curious how it will sound as most arrays function well vertically, but horizontally--hmm. tongue.png

....we will see!

Why vertical arrays work:

Depending on the frequency our ears have a somewhat hard time distinguishing a sound source on the vertical plane. Below 1khz our ears can't really detect the elevation of the sound, but above 1khz they may start to pick up some slight elevation cues from shadows & reflections caused by the torso. The major indicator for elevation comes around 3khz+ by the outer ear (pinna).

Knowing this, people have been able to exploit it, and use vertical arrays with a perceived single sound source. It's also why it's possible to have mid drivers low in the kicks, tweets up high, and still maintain a high coherent stage height.

On the azimuth plane (horizontally sort of) we rely on time arrival differences between the ears. If a sound arrives to the left ear first, and to the right ear 2 Milli-seconds later (2ms is some arbitrary number), then the brain can deduct that the sound source is to our left, and that amount of delay will dictate how far over to the left or right the sound is coming from.

In an array there is a slight difference in path lengths between each speaker, in a vertical array the difference can be null, but in a horizontal array it may make multiple sound sources distinguishable. *The bold I'm speculating.

I also know that in any type of array, comb-filtering can increase loudness and dispersion across the main axis. In a vertical array it may be null, but in a horizontal array the increase horizontally could weaken staging.

I'm sure there are other aspects that come into play like interference, but I don't know much about beyond what I've already stated. In any event, I'd definitely finish the pods, and try them out.

Edited by stefanhinote

Haha funny shit!

....we will see!

Why vertical arrays work:

Depending on the frequency our ears have a somewhat hard time distinguishing a sound source on the vertical plane. Below 1khz our ears can't really detect the elevation of the sound, but above 1khz they may start to pick up some slight elevation cues from shadows & reflections caused by the torso. The major indicator for elevation comes around 3khz+ by the outer ear (pinna).

Knowing this, people have been able to exploit it, and use vertical arrays with a perceived single sound source. It's also why it's possible to have mid drivers low in the kicks, tweets up high, and still maintain a high coherent stage height.

On the azimuth plane (horizontally sort of) we rely on time arrival differences between the ears. If a sound arrives to the left ear first, and to the right ear 2 Milli-seconds later (2ms is some arbitrary number), then the brain can deduct that the sound source is to our left, and that amount of delay will dictate how far over to the left or right the sound is coming from.

In an array there is a slight difference in path lengths between each speaker, in a vertical array the difference can be null, but in a horizontal array it may make multiple sound sources distinguishable. *The bold I'm speculating.

I also know that in any type of array, comb-filtering can increase loudness and dispersion across the main axis. In a vertical array it may be null, but in a horizontal array the increase horizontally could weaken staging.

I'm sure there are other aspects that come into play like interference, but I don't know much about beyond what I've already stated. In any event, I'd definitely finish the pods, and try them out.

Thanks for dropping some knowledge Stephan! I always appreciate your input.

I have thought about the very points that you have brought up. And my conclusion was to give it a try. The distance from driver centers is 3" (length of 3500hz full wavelength). Crossover points will have to be carfeully selected. Hopefully all goes well.

Hmmmm. I'm curious to see how this turns out smile.png

Yep yep, me too!

The 18" Z.3 is sold! Soon it will be time to install two 15" Z.3 adhd.gif

Looking forward to this, and how it turns out, Im waiting for my amp should be here next week, after I get it I will begin my build.

waiting for the new subs to be installed :D:popcorn:

Slow progress on the front stage but getting there.

EClarkPhoto-7314.jpg

Wrapping the front baffle

EClarkPhoto-7315.jpg

Resin applied

EClarkPhoto-7316.jpg

such a tease with the short amount of pics you dirty filthy little whore

404.gif

LOL

Midrange pods are nearing completion. I am flocking them so the finish is somewhat rough yet hopefully not rough enough to look like shit.

EClarkPhoto-7317.jpg

EClarkPhoto-7318.jpg

I am going to be using Scan Speak tweeters instead of the Dayton Audio. This makes the install much easier due to their smaller size. Here is a pic of them side by side.

EClarkPhoto-7320.jpg

bueno :)

looks good edub

bueno smile.png

looks good edub

Thanks! I am excited to hear these pods!

Before I completely finished off these pods I thought it would be a good idea to see how they sound. I am 100% pleased! They sound great, exactly what I wanted :)

They still have to be flocked.

EClarkPhoto-7322.jpg

It looks awesome--glad they sound killer too. :D

It looks awesome--glad they sound killer too. biggrin.png

Thanks, I need to flock them yet. It is amazing what this has done to the sound stage outside of the midrange frequency. The midrange/high transition is no longer easily detected and the midbass freqs also rose up above the dash. I will never run mids in the doors again sigh.gif

You had me worried they would sound like shit haha. Maybe if you compared them to a world record SQ car they do peepwall.gif

Thanks, I need to flock them yet. It is amazing what this has done to the sound stage outside of the midrange frequency. The midrange/high transition is no longer easily detected and the midbass freqs also rose up above the dash. I will never run mids in the doors again sigh.gif

You had me worried they would sound like shit haha. Maybe if you compared them to a world record SQ car they do peepwall.gif

Where were your mids crossed when they were in your doors?

I'm sure the placement made a way bigger positive difference then what any of the before-mentioned could have negatively.

Any difference in stage width?

Where were your mids crossed when they were in your doors?

I'm sure the placement made a way bigger positive difference then what any of the before-mentioned could have negatively.

Any difference in stage width?

Mids in the doors and where they are now were both crossed at 6.3khz. I am not sure what the specs are on the Viper tweets I am using that is why I haven't crossed them lower.

There isn't any aspect of the soundstage that has not been improved upon. I am sure once I get my Scan Speak tweeters installed and xover points dialed in better stage width will improve even more.

I must have missed it but what drivers are they?