Sign in to follow this  
Brett_the_Vandal

Flexin out the Q

Found out recently that the Sub sonic isnt a necessary setting on High excursion subs. Turned mine off. Got a looooottt more power out of the lows now. And haven't had a single problem with heat or with bottoming out. Even playing Bass Mekanik lowd slowd. :)

Heres some pics. And vids to come soon as they upload to youtube.

DSCN0522.jpg

DSCN0521.jpg

DSCN0520.jpg

DSCN0519.jpg

DSCN0518.jpg

DSCN0521.jpg

I'll update soon as the vids upload and post them in here.

Thanks for lookin guys!!

:morepower1:

nice one man!!! :fing34:

Better turn it back on before you snap the surround off of the sub and yank the tinsels out of the spiders...giving you fair warning unless you want to buy stock in recones :)

Found out recently that the Sub sonic isnt a necessary setting on High excursion subs. Turned mine off. Got a looooottt more power out of the lows now. And haven't had a single problem with heat or with bottoming out. Even playing Bass Mekanik lowd slowd. :)

Thanks for lookin guys!!

:morepower1:

I'd be careful about that.. Not sure where you heard that information but if this was true then None of these Fi or SSA or AA or SD or IA subwoofers would ever get damaged then... All companies have "high excursion" subwoofers and NONE would recommend porting without the use of a proper SSF setting... Ask around man... I am scared for your subwoofer.... :peepwall:

What is your enclosure tuned to? I'd recommend no lower than 3hz below tuning on the SSF to be safe... Some people maybe say 4-5hz but hey, DO YOU WANT TO CHANCE IT??? :suicide-santa:

Ports tuned to like 33 hz. And why is it then that some stetsom amps have no Sub sonic then??

Different goals ... And not ALL Stetsom amplifiers do not have a SSF setting on them... You can def do sealed using their amplifiers and require no SSF.... And honestly you shouldn't worry about that since YOUR setup will require it... Turn the SSF dial to about 30hz... I don't know your range on that AQ but if it is 10-50hz then I'd go just past middle @ 1-2 o'clock (I'm guessing here. don't have any experience with that amplifier)

I happened to make a post about playing material below the tuning enclosure a few weeks ago. Here's a visual of the driver's excursion VS frequency. Enclosure tuning: 30hz

excursionbelowtuning.jpg

As you can see, frequencies below tuning cause extreme excursion. Leading to what Nick stated, and has been stating for years. :rofl2:

Edited by stefanhinote

Ports tuned to like 33 hz. And why is it then that some stetsom amps have no Sub sonic then??

Different goals ... And not ALL Stetsom amplifiers do not have a SSF setting on them... You can def do sealed using their amplifiers and require no SSF.... And honestly you shouldn't worry about that since YOUR setup will require it... Turn the SSF dial to about 30hz... I don't know your range on that AQ but if it is 10-50hz then I'd go just past middle @ 1-2 o'clock (I'm guessing here. don't have any experience with that amplifier)

That's right around where i had it before. And Soon as Nick gets em built and ready i'll be switching my setup to two 12" havocs in a sealed box. So i'll be turnin the ssf back off. lol. But i'll get her turned back on sometime soon. I'm just chillin at home now. So she's not goin anywhere.

That's right around where i had it before. And Soon as Nick gets em built and ready i'll be switching my setup to two 12" havocs in a sealed box. So i'll be turnin the ssf back off. lol. But i'll get her turned back on sometime soon. I'm just chillin at home now. So she's not goin anywhere.

Sounds like a plan Bret, good choice...

Stef, nice.... You're learning alot and actually soaking that information like a sponge it seems ... good shyt bro!! :fing34:

The Graph honestly doesnt make sense to me really. Like. the lower the frequency the higher the excursion. Get that. the higher the frequency lesser excursion. Makes sense. how does that relate to the port tuning?

Well the graph is showing how the subwoofer is NOT controlled below tuning, within spec of the amplifier settings and enclosure tuning the subwoofer has more control or "level/linear" output... Obviously his graph is not specific to your subwoofer (I don't think) but it seems that subwoofer in that enclosure has higher output between 30-45hz region... and falls off around 50-55hz... meaning that setup (in the graph) would make some noise between I'd guess around 28-60hz without any issues in that spectrum....

Edited by Shogen

The Graph honestly doesnt make sense to me really. Like. the lower the frequency the higher the excursion. Get that. the higher the frequency lesser excursion. Makes sense. how does that relate to the port tuning?

The graph is the excursion of a driver with 1watt, in an enclosure tuned to 30hz. Between the tuning frequency 30hz and up, the highest excursion it reaches is 250um.

Below 30hz, below the port tuning, the excursion dramatically increases. Reaching upwards of 1mm.

Highest excursion between the acceptable range (30hz to say 80hz): 250um.

Highest excursion below the port tuning (30hz): 1mm

That's four times as much excursion. The driver is moving FOUR times as much below tuning. Now imagine powering that driver with 500watts instead of 1watt, it won't last long.

Well the graph is showing how the subwoofer is NOT controlled below tuning, within spec of the amplifier settings and enclosure tuning the subwoofer has more control or "level/linear" output... Obviously his graph is not specific to your subwoofer (I don't think) but it seems that subwoofer in that enclosure has higher output between 30-45hz region... and falls off around 50-55hz... meaning that setup (in the graph) would make some noise between I'd guess around 28-60hz without any issues in that spectrum....

The graph has nothing to do with spl or output, just excursion vs frequency.

The graph has nothing to do with spl or output, just excursion vs frequency.

I stand corrected on the OUTPUT portion of my statement... I misunderstood/assumed that portion ...

Well the spider ripping lead snapping excursion sure made for a good vid.

the older stetsom amps dont come with them... the newer ones do though...

my 14k has one :fing34:

I'm sure if a 14k didn't have one there would sure be some much worse off subs than mine. Lol. She still lives and beats with zero problems.

There are also inline SSF made out there for a reason. You thought I'd let you off that easily Brett???Lmao!!!