Dochere2

Single DCON 10, possibly changing a sealed box into a ported box quest

I just picked up a single DCON 10" S4 and can't wait to get it installed. It will be going into a custom made sealed fiberglass box that is built into the side of my Cayenne. The box, after displacement, is .93 cu ft. The box used to house a single L7 and did fairly well. I am not opposed to running the DCON sealed but I am thinking of possibly porting the box for a bit different sound. I have already re-faced the box for the DCON.

My question to the experts is, would it be worth it to port the box even though it would be smaller than recommended?

A couple of additional things... I can increase the box by adding a 1-ended sealed piece of 4" PVC pipe that would effectively increase the box interior volume to just about 1 cube (this would be the easiest way, I could also fiberglass an extension but not easily). I could also use some poly inside if needed. The port would be a flared aero port. A 3" if I increase the volume of the box, a 4" if not.

I have several amps I could use to drive the sub, theres an Alpine m50 in the truck now.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If you can increase internal air volume for the Dcon, then go for ported. :)

I agree, if you can increase the volume or at the least to an external port i would try that. Another issues is loading, but that shouldn't be to much of an issue with your vehicle.

I should have mentioned, the only way I can port the box is externally. My two options are 1.01 cu ft with a 3" flared aero port, or .93 cu ft with a 4" flared aero port.

Basiclly if I enlarge the box volume I can only swing a 3" aero because there won't be any additional room. If I go with the 4" port, I don't have room to enlarge the box.

Which way do you guys think would be best? Thanks again!

Come on guys, quit bogarting the 411. I know someone here can answer my question in post 4.

Is a 3" flared aero too small for a single 10" in a 1.01 cu ft box? Or, should I use a 4" flared aero in a .93 cu ft box? Or should I just say f'it cause neither ones happening and go sealed?

Thanks!

Update: I ended up trying out both ways, a 3" port with a box size increase to 1.0 cu ft as well as a 4" port with the box undersized at .93 cu ft.

The 3" dual flared port wasn't enough port area, had some port noise. It would have been fine in a trunk, but in my cargo area I could here it.

The 4" dual flared port was fine, but the box size didn't do the sub justice. That and the external port was excessively long. It seemed as if the box size contributed to a loss of bottom end.

I ended up ditching the project all together. I decided I am going to go through a complete rebuild and I am going to pick up an ICON for the next set-up.

This all left me with a brand new DCON sitting in a box with nothing to do, which I couldn’t let happen. So I decided that our new hybrid could use a sub. It took a little convincing of my significant other but she caved stipulating only that she wanted at least ¾’s of the trunk space left in its virgin state. I spent all day yesterday cutting, sanding, painting, scheming and came up with what’s in the pic.

It is a 1 cubic foot enclosure, build out of ¾ mdf, covered in silver grey alligator fabric, with a 3” dual flared external aero port tuned to 33hz. It’s juice is coming from a Hifonics Brutus 1200.1 with the gain set by dmm at 34.2v, ssf at 31hz, low pass at 65hz. Yes, that’s a cap. I don’t usually use them but with the touchy HID’s in this car I decided to use it. That and it was sitting in a box collecting dust… I toped it all off with a coat of panther pink on the ring and port to match the emblems and custom calipers that are on order.

Needless to say, I am extremely satisfied with the results. The sound is incredible for a $150 sub. This thing easily beats out others I have had at twice the price. My better half is impressed as well and that’s not easy to do.

2012-03-07%252013.38.jpg

Sweet! Looks great.

Looks wild. :)

love the look !!

Thanks guys! Really enjoying the quality of the DCON. I have one more beauty board to make and I have to finish the edges of the trunk floor that I cut to allow access to the spare. Any ideas on finishing the carpet edge would be appreciated. As soon as I am completely done I will break out the DSLR and snap a few hi res shots.

Wonderful to here the continuing hugely positive reviews. :)