Sign in to follow this  
Amish Marauder

Questions about my 2005 RLp 15 D2

So I've been running my RLp 15 for 7 years now with no problems. Thing still rocks. But I've grown tired of my current box and amp and would like to change things up a bit.

Currently I'm running a sealed enclosure with the sub inverted along with a Directed 1500D.

I'm looking at a new amp and another sealed enclosure but this time I'm going with a standard box with the sub installed with the basket inside. My question is this: Should I continue to run the sub at 1 ohms or should I wire it to run at 4 ohms?

The reason I ask is back when I bought my sub I was chatting with Mike about my box design and amp and he told me I should really pair the sub up with a good 500-600 watt rms amp. I decided to go with the 1500d and just dial it in conservatively.

Looking at amps now I have found a few that I like that push anywhere from 1000 to 1200 watts rms @ 1 ohms but these same amps can be ran at 4 ohms and push around 475-500 watts. I figure at 4 ohms there will be less stress on the amp but other than that is there any drawbacks to running the sub at 4 ohms? Considering its a DVC 2 sub?

I like the idea of just running 450-500 watts to the sub anyway but I also like the idea of having the option to switch it up and run a lot more watts at 1 ohm.

Anyways...any info would be awesome.

P.S. does anyone know of a good place to buy pre-built sealed and vented enclosures? I built my last one but I just don't have the time to build another with my busy work schedule and family.

A picture of my current sealed box with RL-p 15 D2

post-1225-0-45679200-1329982812_thumb.jp

Edited by Amish Marauder

There are some good box builders here. Some may have a sub forum too.

Look for DC Creation or something like that, ram designs,...

You should keep your amp and keep the money for a good custom PORTED box.

Good luck.

I say keep the amp also!! There are multiple good box builders on here and I think a properly built ported box would be perfect, it switches everything about your system. Just what you need but without having to drop a ton of cash for a new amp!

7 years, still happy. That is awesome to hear. :)

Yeah I've been very happy over these past years. The SQ from this sub is fantastic.

The reason I want another amp is I'm having issues with mine. It recently started blowing fuses. I know my wireing is good as I've tested everything. Something is wrong with the amp. I removed it from my system and I'm powering the sub off of a four channel Orion. That Orion is what powers my comps though so I'm having to share it.

Anyone have an answer for my 1 ohms Vs 4 ohms question?

Edited by Amish Marauder

if the sub can take 1500wrms. i would find a amp that can do 1500wrms at one ohm.

Tc9+ motor, 3"coil with a 60mm winding width. In a sealed box you should have no issues with 1500rms, as long as you don't clip.

The sub is rated for 500-600 watts. This is per Mike Grynik. My RLp 15 might be slightly different compared to the one they sell today. Looking at the specs the power ratings are different it seems as well as the rec. sealed and vented enclosures.

Mike clearly told me (Emails from him that I still have) that the sub really works well with less power. It's not designed to be ran with 1500 watts or even 1200 watts rma. He is quick to point out that it can be done but one must set the amp conservatively.

That said I'm not asking about how many watts my sub can handle. I know this but I was askign if running the sub at 4 ohms would be okay or if running at 1 ohms is better. I really don't know the technical aspect of how drivers perform at any given ohms rating. For all I know it makes no difference at all.

I ordered a new box, and two new amps. (I don't need a new 4 way amp to power my comps but my system must match so I bought a matching amp to go with the mono amp.)

Anyways forget I asked. I will experiment with both 4 ohms and 1.

Here is a snip of a conversation I had with Mike about this sub:

I do have customers using up to 1200 watts on their RL-p's without any

problems. I will note that above 800 watts, you won't see much gain in

output or performance from the speaker, and will be adding additional risk

to the equation. However, if you set your gain appropriately and build a

solid enclosure to spec, you shouldn't have any problems with up to 1200

watts (just make sure you keep that gain set a tad conservatively!).

If you're not looking to compete in any SPL competitions, I think a sealed 15" D2 off of the 1200 watts @ 1ohm would offer PLENTY of high quality output. Of course, if you really want to be as loud as possible, it seems you certainly have the space and vented will surely do it. If you go sealed, I would suggest 2.1 cu ft net volume (2.31 cu ft gross internal). Vented, aim for about 3 cu ft tuned to 28 Hz.

Edited by Amish Marauder

The sub is rated for 500-600 watts. This is per Mike Grynik. My RLp 15 might be slightly different compared to the one they sell today. Looking at the specs the power ratings are different it seems as well as the rec. sealed and vented enclosures.

Mike clearly told me (Emails from him that I still have) that the sub really works well with less power. It's not designed to be ran with 1500 watts or even 1200 watts rma. He is quick to point out that it can be done but one must set the amp conservatively.

That said I'm not asking about how many watts my sub can handle. I know this but I was askign if running the sub at 4 ohms would be okay or if running at 1 ohms is better. I really don't know the technical aspect of how drivers perform at any given ohms rating. For all I know it makes no difference at all.

I ordered a new box, and two new amps. (I don't need a new 4 way amp to power my comps but my system must match so I bought a matching amp to go with the mono amp.)

Anyways forget I asked. I will experiment with both 4 ohms and 1.

Here is a snip of a conversation I had with Mike about this sub:

I do have customers using up to 1200 watts on their RL-p's without any

problems. I will note that above 800 watts, you won't see much gain in

output or performance from the speaker, and will be adding additional risk

to the equation. However, if you set your gain appropriately and build a

solid enclosure to spec, you shouldn't have any problems with up to 1200

watts (just make sure you keep that gain set a tad conservatively!).

If you're not looking to compete in any SPL competitions, I think a sealed 15" D2 off of the 1200 watts @ 1ohm would offer PLENTY of high quality output. Of course, if you really want to be as loud as possible, it seems you certainly have the space and vented will surely do it. If you go sealed, I would suggest 2.1 cu ft net volume (2.31 cu ft gross internal). Vented, aim for about 3 cu ft tuned to 28 Hz.

The ohms dont matter its the wattage at those ohms.you can spend less on a amp that will do one ohm.

I bought a couple Hifonics amps. I remember back when I was really into building systems that Hifonics made some quality stuff. I read some reviews (user) and these amps scored pretty well but once I received them I have to admit I expected a more quality appearence and they aren't that heavy compared to my Orion 8004 and Directed 1500D. But they seem to work well and everything is rocking. It's nice that they are smaller too. I just have to build a new rack.

I grabbed a Hifonics HFI1000.1D & HFI100.4

We'll see how long they hold up. Part of me thinks I should have spent more money and grabbed some Hifonics Brutus amps or stuck with Orion.

I also bought a pre-made sealed 3/4" MDF sub enclosure to get me by for awhile. It's too small for my 15 as the minimum I wanted was 2.5 cu ft and this one does 2.01 internal cu. ft. It still sounds a lot better than my old sealed box. But I'd like to pay somone to build me a custom box.

Edited by Amish Marauder