Jason Witt

Sealing off trunk from cabin

Since this will be my first time doing a forward firing setup in a trunk car, I need advice and opinions for the best way to seal the trunk from the cabin.

Thanks Guys

Gap filling foam and that's all you really need.

You could mask off the area, push the box into position (mask off the box too), and spray expanding foam. Pull box out, sand down the excess foam, put box back in, and make a trim panel to go around.

I would like it to look clean too. Should I do beauty plates over the foam, is this the only method?

I would like it to look clean too. Should I do beauty plates over the foam, is this the only method?

Yep, I would make beauty panels then foam behind it everywhere.

If you want a true sealed trunk you will need lots of expanding foam

Depends on the space between the enclosure and opening. Foam may not be needed, and a secure trim piece could suffice. On the flip side, the foam may be very helpful in filling up large voids.

I've never messed with a trunk. Just thoughts, I thought of. :P

Should the foam be dense? Like is expanding insulation foam dense enough?

Depends on the space between the enclosure and opening. Foam may not be needed, and a secure trim piece could suffice. On the flip side, the foam may be very helpful in filling up large voids.

I've never messed with a trunk. Just thoughts, I thought of. tongue.png

Very true, but to seal it completely foam is fairly necessary IMO.

Should I use foam insulation, or something different? Maybe something a bit more dense perhaps?

I just used Great Stuff foam insulation from walmart and I had great results.

The great stuff gap filing will work fine, IIRC it is vulnerable to solvents such as gasoline... which means you can clean up any mistakes easily.

make sure you tape areas off, or cover them some how, cause that will get everywhere.

RED can great stuff ftw

I'm in the same boat... Kinda. Thinking of sealing my trunk as well but there is no way in hell I'm spraying that shit in my 2011 vehicle.

What can be expected from sealing off the trunk?

Will it be noticeable to the ear or just the meter?

Will my back seats have to be down in order to sound good?

Lots of questions ;)

Should sound better all around. Little to no trunk rattle, and seats down will make a huge difference. I don't see any reason to do this with the seats staying up.

For me I don't compete. I commute lol. Plus I live in a ghetto ass town. Might be a pain to always have to lift and lower the seats every time I get in or out. Thanks

My seats fold down easily. I am going to try the foam and trim panels. I will have photos as soon as the build is completed. Thanks again!

If this is just for a daily system I wouldn't bother with the spray foam or caulking, personally. I would build some beauty panels and simply use those to create the "seal" between the cabin and trunk. It doesn't need to be 100% air tight.

I ran IB in my trunk and didn't use an ounce of foam or other sealant. Worked just fine.

If this is just for a daily system I wouldn't bother with the spray foam or caulking, personally. I would build some beauty panels and simply use those to create the "seal" between the cabin and trunk. It doesn't need to be 100% air tight.

I ran IB in my trunk and didn't use an ounce of foam or other sealant. Worked just fine.

I want to yield the best possible results. I will try with just beauty panels, if i'm not satisfied with that, I will just foam behind and around the seal. Edited by BrutalBasser

The great stuff gap filing will work fine, IIRC it is vulnerable to solvents such as gasoline... which means you can clean up any mistakes easily.

I take it you never used expanding foam in a can. That chit is far from easy to clean off of unwanted areas.

Rubbing gasoline around the interior of a car is a bad idea for numerous reasons.

The best method of removal is by friction.