no_username

setting gain - by smell or dmm

Someone told me he doesnt trust setting the gain by a multimeter so he goes by um i believe the sub burning up then lowers it to a stable point

Now that doesnt sound safe... how did you do it?

By ear and experience. For you I'd get someone that knows what they are doing to help you set it. If you think you can do it with a dmm properly that would be a good option. Setting the gain by smell is a bad option.

Well i dont know anyone. Im going out tomorrow to buy my bolts and i guess i will pick up a dmm

I know what it needs to be set at... i dont know how to go by ear yet :)

Someone told me he doesnt trust setting the gain by a multimeter so he goes by um i believe the sub burning up then lowers it to a stable point

HAHA you didn't understand what I said in the least. If that's what you got out of it I don't know what to do to help Doh.gif

HAHA you didn't understand what I said in the least. If that's what you got out of it I don't know what to do to help Doh.gif

icon_roflmao.gif

Im just trying to understand this bro. This aint easy for a newbie

Do i set amp crossovers after setting gain?

Set crossovers before gain, make sure bass boost and all the crap is turned off.

Set crossovers before gain, make sure bass boost and all the crap is turned off.

Buy a good dmm not one for 15.00 dollars

there are alot of guides on how to set amplifier gain, some reading should help in your case, then ask questions after...

You assume to much

Ive been non stop reading on everything. I wad up till 2am researching on this

did not assume anything, Just trying to get you started from them basic as you have not indicated anything of the sort previously and, an understanding the fundamentals is essential if you choose to do it by your self.

was just trying to help !

anyways good luck.

Gotta start somewhere.

I mean i cant see how you cant do it if you dont have that

To much gain you get clipping "indicated light on amp"

To little - less power. So just gotta work around

cheap DMM's work fine for the occasional user. I have a cheapo (clamp/DMM) from harbor freight and its damn near spot on with my dads fluke and snap on. DD1 works great also, I know some people talk ish about it. But it really is spot on. Takes 5min lol.

I love mine.

First time setting your amp setting, don't worry about max power. That should be the least of your worries. Since you admit to not know much then don't try to push your equipment the first time you turn it up, you're going to blow something.

First time setting your amp setting, don't worry about max power. That should be the least of your worries. Since you admit to not know much then don't try to push your equipment the first time you turn it up, you're going to blow something.

Is the dmm method a good place to start?

Is the dmm method a good place to start?

Refer to your thread about the matter.

you cant properly set gain by dmm. you need a oscope . or experiance

An o-scope isn't any more helpful than a DMM for gain setting.

cheap DMM's work fine for the occasional user. I have a cheapo (clamp/DMM) from harbor freight and its damn near spot on with my dads fluke and snap on. DD1 works great also, I know some people talk ish about it. But it really is spot on. Takes 5min lol.

I love mine.

I just like to buy a meter that can be calibrated.

Been setting gain for 3 years with a DMM.

Haven't ran into a problem yet.

Don't worry. You'll get a hang for things

You can properly set gain any way you want. Oscope will do nothing aside from showing you the wave form. Doesn't mean the gain is set correctly or not. The best way is to trust your ears.

You can properly set gain any way you want. Oscope will do nothing aside from showing you the wave form. Doesn't mean the gain is set correctly or not. The best way is to trust your ears.

Well said Sir.