Looks great nem!

How does the frequency response compare?

Thanks Dave. :)

Overall the Evil sounds very similar to my former XCONs sealed. (The Xcons were louder sealed, but there was way more cone area) I am very happy with the overall sound of it sealed, very tight and rich on music and plays very well on bass music. I am suprised at the amount of air this thing moves sealed. Hey at the end of the day this beast ported is straight up brutal, nasty and sounded awesome. For everyday listening I think sealed will be my preferance, but when it comps to local comps I will have the ported box in place.

As you can see in the pictures I lined the inside of the box with a damping foam that is used in home audio boxes which makes a huge difference in overall output. I am going to carpet it and make things look a little nicer.

As I never really let things simmer I have been running some numbers on my sealed box. Not sure what I am going to do yet, but just wanted to put these numbers here for future use. I may for the hell of it line the ported box to see how of if it even makes a difference.

By reducing the port to:

20'x5.25" = 105"

.036 vent match

41.089 ft

12.524 m

19.25"x5.25" = 101"

.038 vent match

42.69 ft

13.012 m

18.5"x5.25" = 97"

.39 vent match

44.42 ft

13.54 m

looks fcking sweet Neal!!!! what foam is that exactly??? linky pwease

Thanks Danny. I get the foam from a home audio shop. Not sure if there is a link, but I can ask them. If you want some I can get you some. It is the same material that is in my paradigm sub box in my theater.

Just looked and it is an open cell polly foam.

Edited by nem

okay... thank you sir!!! I will look into it 

Thanks Danny. I get the foam from a home audio shop. Not sure if there is a link, but I can ask them. If you want some I can get you some. It is the same material that is in my paradigm sub box in my theater.

Just looked and it is an open cell polly foam.

bigok.gifbigok.gif bigok.gif  

The Evil is blending very well playing some Buffett live! As I continue to play the more happier I become with it being sealed.

Now I just need to make it look nice.

Looks good. I'm curious to see how the size of the enclosure will alter the output for the sealed box.

Looks good. I'm curious to see how the size of the enclosure will alter the output for the sealed box.

Thanks Senchez. Out put wise and sound is very close to my Xcons sealed. If I were to remove the foam it would be louder, but that was not the reason for going sealed.

One thing I forgot to mention. A day or so before the comp I reset my computer to clear an airbag fault. CLeared the code and disconnect the batteries for 30 minutes. Guess what while playing with the Evil sealed I realized my eq had been set back to defult flat and the bass level was -6. I wonder how much of a difference that would have made on the mic. Not sure how I did not realize this because I like my tweeters a bit brighter than most people.

Upon further investigation with the help of Nate and Sean, my ported box comes in at 5.1 cubes after all displacment and tuned a bit lower than I though 30.5hz. That changes things a bit for me.

Upon further investigation with the help of Nate and Sean, my ported box comes in at 5.1 cubes after all displacment and tuned a bit lower than I though 30.5hz. That changes things a bit for me.

Are you planning to rebuild it still?  I wish there was a way to put an Evil in my little wagon, while still seeing out the back window and keeping the car seat.

Are you planning to rebuild it still?  I wish there was a way to put an Evil in my little wagon, while still seeing out the back window and keeping the car seat.

I have the boxes that I want for me. The ported will be a summer box and the sealed will be a winter box, but there may be a box built for spl using one of Adrian's ports. I know it is not practical swapping boxes, but it is necessary for me.

I know I can never decide. This ported box kinda high lights the quality of low gut wrenching bass at a high level and still retains the punch in the mouth bass. If I do decide to chase numbers, well Adrain needs to be part of that with is flares.

Austin wants to meter his car with the Evil in, that may just happen.

Austin wants to meter his car with the Evil in, that may just happen.

This probably should happen :)

You should let me build a burp box if thats gonna happen.

Sounds like a great idea Joe. Maybe when you have time we can dicuss further. :)

IAK branded once again!!

DSC01485.jpg

Awesome

Agreed!

The truck looks pretty Neal! Nice pic, I really like all of the greenery too! I can't wait to get out of the desert.

Can't believe I have missed all the updates. Looks great as usual Neal! I am with you on the need for multiple boxes. I am running sealed but am in the process of designing a ported box to swap out when I need the output. Inconvenient but so nice to have the option. 

Awesome

Thanks Chuck. :)

Agreed!

Joe will build my burp box when he has time.

The truck looks pretty Neal! Nice pic, I really like all of the greenery too! I can't wait to get out of the desert.

Thanks Rick. It is always green in this valley, I visit the dessert and ocean as much as possible, everyone needs a change once in a while. :)

Edited by nem