Sign in to follow this  
sonny45

Orion XTR PRO 124 12" VS JL W3-3 12"

In the middle of building my system........ I have the pioneer avic-z130bt with Infinity Kappas for the dash and 4 Doors , I have the Kappa 4 Channel amp for the door speakers.. I also ordered Raam Audio; RAM matt and Ensolite to sound proof but cant make my mind up on which subs to get..

Im leaning more towards the Orion from what i have been reading as its more comparable to the JL W6... But would like some insight on what some people think on here

The Orion is 500 RMS and the JL Is 300 RMS

I would avoid both and recommend an SSA driver, call me crazy.

Im assuming the ICONs ?

Im assuming the ICONs ?

Or the GCON which should be out soon. It will fall in between the DCON and the ICON.

Im assuming the ICONs ?

Well the ICON is an amazing sq driver. Yes, but again, I would recommend any of them vs the ones you mentioned. If you can wait, sure, you can pick up the Gcon as it will be release shortly. OR, you could grab the icon, which would leave room to grow.

Im assuming the ICONs ?

Well the ICON is an amazing sq driver. Yes, but again, I would recommend any of them vs the ones you mentioned. If you can wait, sure, you can pick up the Gcon as it will be release shortly. OR, you could grab the icon, which would leave room to grow.

Whats your opinion on the Skars

worthless.gif

Dont waste money just buy a 13w6 :) I've owned a couple 15" subs that I installed in my current vehicle and so far the 13" 13w6 is my favorite driver. Excellent blend of sq and spl. Doesn't require much power to get loud either (I am using a XD600/1).

Dont waste money just buy a 13w6 smile.png I've owned a couple 15" subs that I installed in my current vehicle and so far the 13" 13w6 is my favorite driver. Excellent blend of sq and spl. Doesn't require much power to get loud either (I am using a XD600/1).

Yeah im up in the air on what to get......... I have had Orion 12's twice in the past and liked them both, my friend has 2 JLw6 10" and they sound good....... I have always had 2 or 3 subs never just 1 lol....... i was looking at those 13" tho......

Dont waste money just buy a 13w6 smile.png I've owned a couple 15" subs that I installed in my current vehicle and so far the 13" 13w6 is my favorite driver. Excellent blend of sq and spl. Doesn't require much power to get loud either (I am using a XD600/1).

Yeah im up in the air on what to get......... I have had Orion 12's twice in the past and liked them both, my friend has 2 JLw6 10" and they sound good....... I have always had 2 or 3 subs never just 1 lol....... i was looking at those 13" tho......

I have only had single sub setups in this car. The trunk isn't big and I need cargo area for traveling and the occasional grocery shopping when my wife demands I go. Too bad you do not live closer to get a demo. Everybody that has heard it was thoroughly impressed. I love how I can play some STP then play a bass heavy rap song, with no adjustments made between tracks, and it sounds like it was designed to play either genre.

I've owned Orion XTR's back in the '90. Great subs then I have no idea how their new stuff is.

There are a bunch of excellent sub manufactures out there. The Sundown SA series is a great subwoofer to consider as well.

Look at your options and based on enclosure limitations, budget and goals choose one.

Dont waste money just buy a 13w6 :) I've owned a couple 15" subs that I installed in my current vehicle and so far the 13" 13w6 is my favorite driver. Excellent blend of sq and spl. Doesn't require much power to get loud either (I am using a XD600/1).

Why would he be wasting his money? His budget and preferences are his own.

Im assuming the ICONs ?

My opinion on the skars is that it may be a step in the wrong direction, your first few option are a better choice.

I feel the 13w6 is a much better driver compared to a 12w3 which is one of the drivers the op is considering. He did ask for opinions.

For comparison of output and sound quality I mentioned two different SSA 15" that I have owned.

I feel the 13w6 is a much better driver compared to a 12w3 which is one of the drivers the op is considering. He did ask for opinions.

For comparison of output and sound quality I mentioned two different SSA 15" that I have owned.

Are you inferring the W6 has more output then an Xcon or Zcon? Not addressing SQ, as that is subjective and install dependent.

Edit: Sorry, my post sounds critical, as output is install dependent also. Just thought it was very strange as I have heard plenty of W6's, love their sound but they have all lacked somewhat in output, were a little passive on presence, and power handling is on the lower side for the price their are commanding. I am not saying W6's are blownout over priced, but they don't have the reasonable price this online customer market segment strongly prefers. And yes, JL can sell at what ever they want, because they can and they have the engineering to back their work.

They are both good speakers. I've installed both in customers vehicles and they both get loud and sound good. The XTR is definitely a bit beefier than the w3 but that doesn't mean the JL is by any means bad.

I don't know the price point of what you're looking at either for any of these speakers. There may be better options for a the price or the Orions or JL might be right on par with what you need.

I had a 10" XTR (not XTR Pro) just a few months ago and it was a very good sub for the money. But personally, for the price, I'd spend a little more and get a Dcon. I regret ever selling mine. Or, like was mentioned, wait for the Gcon to come out.

Are you inferring the W6 has more output then an Xcon or Zcon? Not addressing SQ, as that is subjective and install dependent.

Edit: Sorry, my post sounds critical, as output is install dependent also. Just thought it was very strange as I have heard plenty of W6's, love their sound but they have all lacked somewhat in output, were a little passive on presence, and power handling is on the lower side for the price their are commanding. I am not saying W6's are blownout over priced, but they don't have the reasonable price this online customer market segment strongly prefers. And yes, JL can sell at what ever they want, because they can and they have the engineering to back their work.

Critical posts are preferred :)

I have been discussing the ZCON with another member of this forum.

I was expecting way more from it! It wasnt loud in my car and it didnt sound the best either. It was ok for boomy bass songs. I reinstalled my 13w6 and it was a night and day difference. The 13w6 sounds ten times better and was actually a lot louder too! I thought the ZCON sounded decent until I reinstalled my 13w6 lol.

I was orignally powering the ZCON with my 2.0K. Then I had amp troubles and switched back over to my XD600/1. There wasnt too much of a difference between 600 watts and 2000 watts on the ZCON. I guess it takes +2000 watts to get this sub loud, I dont know.

I had a XCON 15" previously. In my opinion the XCON is a much better sub. I would rate the XCON 15" above my 13w6 simply becasue it could handle 2K daily and had more cone aera. An XCON in a low tuned box would be pretty sweet.

Maybe in a different enclsoure the ZCON would perform better. The ZCON was not a sub that I planned on buying to begin with. But I gave it a try. I just bought a 18" Z.3 this past weekend. This was the sub I originally wanted. I had two 12" Z.2 in the past and I know these subs are all around great performers. The Z's, in my opion, are a great ground punder that sounds good too. JUst what I am looking for :)I really have to stop buying car audio equipment! Wifey is starting to get pissed lol.

Almost sounds like it was not totally broken in, or the enclosure should have been a little larger, but cannot say for sure with out being there in person. Output has never been an issue with the Zcon, keeping in mind the amount of suspension it has. Heck, we have guys tearing sheet metal, haha.

The Xcon is a bonkers sub and it seems (based on your posts) that it is much more your style, but the Zcon should usually have the output advantage over it, but again there are too many factors to make a sweeping statement like that.