I'll start with the electrical rundown- EA 220 amp alt., big 3 in 0ga, xs d2400 under hood, deka 100ah g31 agm in trunk, 1 pos. run 0ga between batts, all cable is ofc. Now for the questions, first the alt- i was told that the bolts holding the alt in place are all the ground you need but i feel like i should have a 0ga ground also. good idea? unnecessary? Now for some fusing-how should my pos. between batts be fused? i have an aq3500d.1 about to go in, do i need to fuse for its 400 amp rating?,fuse for the max current capacity of the cable at 15-20ft?, fuse for the max amt of amps that my alt and front batt can deliver? Are there any performance differences in anl vs. the multiple midi mini fuses? Now for the cable- how beneficial is a run/s of neg. between batts? Is it necessary to do a 2nd run of pos.? Seems to me the one run should be more than adequate to carry all the current the alt+front batt can give to the back batt/amps but i have certainly been wrong before. Thanks in advance for any and all help, to those tempted to tell me that u never fuse and its not necessary u can save both our time and not post, thx.

Running an additional ground for your alternator isnt going to hurt anything so if you have the extra 1/0 go for it. I would suggest a second run of positive between batteries and fuse them according to the current draw the wire is rated for. The only place you need to fuse for the amp rating is the runs to the amp. The fuses between batteries is to protect the wires and batteries. Everyone may not agree but i suggest fusing both sides between the batteries preferably as close to the batteries as possible.

thanks for the input, any advice on neg. runs between batts and differences in fuse types?

eh?

if you have a vehicle with a full frame running front and rear batteries to the same frame rail is fine. If it is a unibody vehicle I would recommend the same number of ground runs between batteries as positive runs. As for fuse types the only time I've seen an advantage to running many smaller fuses over one large one is in competitions to get more surface area for fuses to stay in a lower fuse class but with higher power, if you're just ground pounding larger fuses are fine. If you're curious about the different fuse types I would just buy whatever is readily available near you.I prefer anl fuses and afs fuses, also kown as mini anls, but most places don't stock afs fuses.

still trying to figure out what all I just read......

yeah its a tad lenghty(thats what she said) and quite the bombardment of questions, probly why only one person posted any valid responses. If u get around to figuring it out feel free to offer ur opinions/insight

if you have a vehicle with a full frame running front and rear batteries to the same frame rail is fine. If it is a unibody vehicle I would recommend the same number of ground runs between batteries as positive runs. As for fuse types the only time I've seen an advantage to running many smaller fuses over one large one is in competitions to get more surface area for fuses to stay in a lower fuse class but with higher power, if you're just ground pounding larger fuses are fine. If you're curious about the different fuse types I would just buy whatever is readily available near you.I prefer anl fuses and afs fuses, also kown as mini anls, but most places don't stock afs fuses.

i would certainly assume a 2006 camry would be a unibody, time for some more 0ga.

if you can make it less of a run on sentance then ill try to read it again,

but as it is.. im losing my mind trying to read it.

just installed my alt and have an aq3500d.1 about to go in, just a few questions i have.

I'll start with the electrical rundown:

EA 220 amp alt.

big 3 in 0ga

xs d2400 under hood, deka 100ah g31 agm in trunk

1 pos. run 0ga between batts, all cable is ofc.

Now for the questions-

1) I was told that the bolts holding the alt in place are all the ground you need but i feel like i should have a 0ga ground also. good idea? unnecessary?

2)How should my pos. between batts be fused? Do i..... a.) fuse for my amps combined fuse ratings?, b.)fuse for the max current capacity of the cable at 15-20ft?, c.)fuse for the max amt of amps that my alt and front batt can deliver?

3)Are there any performance differences in fuse types?

4) How beneficial is a run/s of neg. between batts? Is it necessary to do a 2nd run of pos.?

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

if you can make it less of a run on sentance then ill try to read it again,

but as it is.. im losing my mind trying to read it.

done ^

just installed my alt and have an aq3500d.1 about to go in, just a few questions i have.

EA 220 amp alt.

big 3 in 0ga

Now for the questions-

1) I was told that the bolts holding the alt in place are all the ground you need but i feel like i should have a 0ga ground also. good idea? unnecessary?

2)How should my pos. between batts be fused? Do i..... a.) fuse for my amps combined fuse ratings?, b.)fuse for the max current capacity of the cable at 15-20ft?, c.)fuse for the max amt of amps that my alt and front batt can deliver?

4) How beneficial is a run/s of neg. between batts? Is it necessary to do a 2nd run of pos.?

I know this is old, but you really didn't get many responses, so I will try to give you my opinions.

1. I think it is a good idea to add an additional 0awg wire from the bolt that is holding your alt in place to frame and/or batt.
  2. I do not believe fuseing between batts is needed. Fusing amp to main power source will be fine.
  3. Yes, noticable, who knows for sure, I doubt it for normal listening. If you are burping, then you want the MAXimum contact area for the fuse. For example, when I compete, to stay in my class, I burp on a 30amp fuse. There are several different routes I could have taken, even though every 30amp fuse is rated for 30amps. Different companies will place different amount of contact area, so obviously, you want the most power transfer before you blow the fuse. Also, there are a few different types of fuses. You can use a circuit breaker, which I use under the hood, there are slow burn fuses, which are illegal in my competing league, and normal fuses. And then there are several types of normal fuses lol. But each have there place and purpose.
  4. Yes, you want to run negs between batts :Doh: 2nd question, I would. Depending on application and if you want to overkill or not.

I hope my answers help some, I also someone with more experience will chime in.

EA 220 amp alt.

big 3 in 0ga

Now for the questions-

I know this is old, but you really didn't get many responses, so I will try to give you my opinions.

1. I think it is a good idea to add an additional 0awg wire from the bolt that is holding your alt in place to frame and/or batt.
  2. I do not believe fuseing between batts is needed. Fusing amp to main power source will be fine.
  3. Yes, noticable, who knows for sure, I doubt it for normal listening. If you are burping, then you want the MAXimum contact area for the fuse. For example, when I compete, to stay in my class, I burp on a 30amp fuse. There are several different routes I could have taken, even though every 30amp fuse is rated for 30amps. Different companies will place different amount of contact area, so obviously, you want the most power transfer before you blow the fuse. Also, there are a few different types of fuses. You can use a circuit breaker, which I use under the hood, there are slow burn fuses, which are illegal in my competing league, and normal fuses. And then there are several types of normal fuses lol. But each have there place and purpose.
  4. Yes, you want to run negs between batts Doh.gif 2nd question, I would. Depending on application and if you want to overkill or not.

I hope my answers help some, I also someone with more experience will chime in.

well hello Mr. Cheezy, thx for the input sir. Its all done already tho.....also, i take offense to the forehead slap emoticon...not cool man. Dont make me defriend u bruh! Ill soooo do it, now go get ur box from swift!