Angelboy863

What would you choose? 6.5's or 6 x 9's

I'm looking to upgrade my speaker system. For the front stage I'm getting the Rockford fosgate 6.5" t1 series component speakers and powering them about 100 rms to each side.

For the rear stage I would like to run two sets of coaxials (cone area ftw) I'm thinking the Rockford fosgate p1 series coaxials. But idk which would be better, 6.5's or 6x9's

They'd be right beside each other along my side panels in the backseat (yes some modifications will be done) and I'd run a set per channel because they are 40-50rms each so one set is around 100rms. Wi be powered by my kicker 350.4 (maybe eventually sundown 100.4 or rf p400.4)

But this is just an idea of mine. If anyone has better suggestions or opinions please feel free to post. Thanks guys I'd like more opinions on this idea!

Edited by Angelboy863

Are you trying to improve the overall sound, or simply looking for more output?

Are you trying to improve the overall sound, or simply looking for more output?

Both. I want good sound, and as much output as I can. I'm aiming to be loud and have quality sound at the same time.

I wish my Ferrari could go rock crawling too. Of course a combination of both can be made, but you'd have to compromise.

I wish my Ferrari could go rock crawling too. Of course a combination of both can be made, but you'd have to compromise.

Haha well then what I'd like more is loudness. The only reason I want two sets of speakers is for that extra cone area and output.

Get a better set of comps for the front. A front stage that is properly setup can get crazy loud. Instead of buying 10 cheap speakers get some quality equipment.

If you just want to be loud go the pa/super tweeter route.

Get a better set of comps for the front. A front stage that is properly setup can get crazy loud. Instead of buying 10 cheap speakers get some quality equipment.

What component set do you recommend for my front stage? I like the rf t series speakers, my friend has them in his car and they sound excellent and are exceptionally loud. I wouldn't wanna spend over $200 for a front stage, overall budget of speakers is around $400.

Now I'm thinking sound quality if the best route for loudness is in fact pa/super tweets/horns. All my buddies either have horns or super tweeters but lack that sound quality, I have the chance to have something for myself here lol.

What do you guys think of

Rf t series components in the front and rear?

6.5's in front, 6x9's in back?

Personally I wouldn't use any speakers in the rear, but others like to have that "rear-fill", I don't.

I also prefer no rear fill. I would spend my money up front.

I like rear fill. I want my car to have great sound from all around. I haven't even installed any kind of sound dampening and I believe it is necessary in a 96 civic. I should probably post this in another thread and will but recommendations for sound dampening in doors?

Edited by Angelboy863

If I were in your shoes, I'd spend the money on the front speakers and deadener for the entire vehicle.

CLD tiles for reducing panel resonance (not for eliminating panel flex).

MLV (mass loaded vinyl) for creating a sound barrier between the outside, and cabin.

CCF (closed cell foam) for going in between plastic panels and sheet metal (reduce rattles).

Yes, I was a RF fanatic and got the T1 comps in front and back. They are okay, but you can get better for cheaper.

To give an example, my buddy has crescendo comps and they sound just as good.

Edited by BlurredVision

JBL are known for taking lots of power and sound good doing it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xRnCsPTtqkL/p_109MS62C/JBL-MS-62C.html#overview-tab

This will let you run full active if you choose to go active and if not then bridge the channels for some serious 2 channel power for a set of comps.

http://www.precisionpoweronlinestore.com/products/P900.4-900w-4%252dChannel-Phantom-Series-Amplifier.html

Personally i would go with the bridged mode on those jbl's , nothing wrong with gobs and gobs of headroom.

I am running the Rockford T2 components up front and they are loud as shit. Sound really good too, In my rear I am running Alpine Type R coaxials. They sound good and take a ton of power. I would do 6.5's in the rear if I were you.

I am running alot of power to it all and they all take it well, I have 150rms going to each channel. (Alpine PDX 4.150)

I was thinking about this thread this morning and realized I can't hear my comps in the rear at all. They are useless to me up front, so no rear fill for me next time. Thinking about a nice set of high-end comps. Any recommendations? I was looking at a nice set of Hertz or Focals? I know the budget wants to be known, but I don't have one in mind yet. I could see me spending 5 or 6 hundred for a set of heavenly sounding comps

I wasn't sure about JBL components at first, but I promise you they will handle power and get loud. I heard a set of Alpine type r's in an audio instal guy's car and mine sounded just as good. I might prefer a softer, silk tweeter, but if you want volume, check out JBL.

A pair of Alpine SPR-60 6.5's.biggrin.png