jrod1050

Is the CLARION APA4400G a rebadged Mcintosh amp?

There are rumors around the net that the APA4400G Power Guard amp is just a rebaged Mcintosh. Is there any truth to it?

The Clarion amp is a big purple amp. Ill see if i can find a link

I actually had 2 of those back in the day, like 99 or 2000. I powered a couple of subs with one. Never used the other one. I ended up giving them away. "The Power Guard circuit is patented by McIntosh Laboratories"

Oh ok. Just got one for pretty cheap. Just wondering about the quality of the amp. Was it a reliable amp?

Great amp. I sold Clarion when these were new and ran one in my own car, good sounding amp with good output. As for reliability, I don't remember ever having one back in for warranty. Not sure about the MacIntosh thing, I've heard that rumor also, time frame fits.

Edited by gss

Clarion shared stock with McIntosh. They were never a majority owner or parent company. They did share some technologies as is evident here, but you can be guaranteed they are not 100% the same. This amp was produced back in the day when Clarion still made their amps themselves and was of good quality. You have a good amp whether it shares ties with Mc or not.

Yeah, I enjoyed mine, and had no problems with it. The Power Guard technology has something to do with limiting power output when distortion is present. This was designed to prevent distortion from making it to the speakers, or limiting power when it does, so you don't hear it, or damage your speakers.

Like Tirefryr said, the McIntosh and Clarion shared some technology (such as Power Guard) since there was some ownership interest there, but they are not the same amp.

On the other hand, some of Clarion's headunits from that time are extremely similar to the McIntosh units. The Clarion DRX 9255 is nearly identical to the McIntosh 406.

That Clarion DRX 9255 is a nice head unit. I wish i could get my hands on one of those for a decent price

Would like to pick them up.

That Clarion DRX 9255 is a nice head unit. I wish i could get my hands on one of those for a decent price

I almost grabbed one a while back.

Decided to go back to the Denford instead.

Heres a pic of the new toy. Its one of the heaviest 4x100 amps Ive ever played with. Its gotta be over 25lbs. I put a bottled water next to it to show the size

2012-03-22_04-26-44_441.jpg

Nice looking amp for sure!