Welcome to SSA Car Audio Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ou812

Question for those running ESX amps

5 posts in this topic

Like the title says....I have a question for those running or have owned an ESX amp. ESX Q275.2 is on my Icon 10. The Icon is d2 and wired for 4 ohms in bridged mode at the amp. The bridged mode is rated at 800 watts.The hu is an Eclipse CD8454 with a pre out voltage rating of 8 volts.

My issue is setting the gain. With well recorded media ....(No Ipod) Only high quality cd's....I feel my gain is too high to obtain the right output. Yes I fully realize that the gain is not a volume knob. I also realize that I could get my answer with a dmm but I don't have one at the moment.

So my situation is...8 volt hu....Amp gain is at 3/4 of the dial. I have been playing music at 70-74 max out of a volume scale of 0-80 on the Eclipse. that doesn't make me warm and fuzzy. I haven't heard any distortion at all at 74 but I'm not sure I'm crazy about going that close to max volume. I realize that every hu will clip eventually. Shouldn't I be hitting my gain sweet spot at a much lower gain setting? Any thoughts on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

You need a DMM for testing. Could be as simple as turning up the sub level on the head unit.

You need a DMM for testing. Could be as simple as turning up the sub level on the head unit.

I think i will try a dmm. My eclipse actually doesnt have a sub level that i can turn up. It has a level adjustment for each output but you can only decrease the level. Not increase.

I finally found my answer....Thought I would update this in case anyone was wondering. My hu....Eclipse cd8454.....In pro mode....Active...there is no actual sub level adjustment. There is however sub level in non pro mode. I would have never guessed this but by switching to non pro mode I went to the sub level. It was at 5 of 15 I believe. I bumped it up to 8 and went back into pro mode. Apparantly that setting sticks so to speak when changing modes. When I turned up the volume I instantly realized what I found on DIY was correct. I now have my gain turned down slightly above half and I'm in my glory.What an odd feature or should I call it a glitch within these Eclipse hu's.

BTW....Macs over at DIY is a freakin genious.