I have a DD M3a and when I see set ups on youtube or forums they have 3k or 2.5k or 4500Ds I want to know if my amp is around the same as the ones they use. So my question is what is the DD M3a similar too in output, their site says 2200 at 1 ohm, but everyone says they are underrated and get to 5k at .5. And lets assume my electrical is good enough for a .5 load. What amps would be very similar? SAZ-3500D? DC 3.5k?

Edited by accordwithbass

And then a saz-4500d at 0.5 would be 10kw?

And then a saz-4500d at 0.5 would be 10kw?

Lol, no thats know what I mean. Ive done some research and put out about 4-5k at like 14v. But I guess everyone could be wrong.

Even so by that logic, your still comparing apples to oranges.

huh, well ill get some meters out at my auto shop and see what the output of my amp is right now at 2 ohms, then I lll do it again in about 2 months when I get my electrical upgraded.

Don't forgot that impedance is hardly ever constant, perhaps for tones and the alike.

clamp the amp and find out how much power your making ;)

Personally was not a fan of my M3a...

What makes you say that? Only asking for reasoning since I have had thoughts on picking up an M4a.

I have a DD M3a and when I see set ups on youtube or forums they have 3k or 2.5k or 4500Ds I want to know if my amp is around the same as the ones they use. So my question is what is the DD M3a similar too in output, their site says 2200 at 1 ohm, but everyone says they are underrated and get to 5k at .5. And lets assume my electrical is good enough for a .5 load. What amps would be very similar? SAZ-3500D? DC 3.5k?

I completely understand what you're asking, but unfortunately am not familiar enough with DD amps to give you an answer.

I'm sure if you asked about Sundown or IA, or ZED, you would get more helpful posts...

Not sure why ppl are saying apples and oranges and crap rather than actually posting something to help...

Here's what I found on youtube, hope it helps!

What makes you say that? Only asking for reasoning since I have had thoughts on picking up an M4a.

I completely understand what you're asking, but unfortunately am not familiar enough with DD amps to give you an answer.

I'm sure if you asked about Sundown or IA, or ZED, you would get more helpful posts...

Not sure why ppl are saying apples and oranges and crap rather than actually posting something to help...

Here's what I found on youtube, hope it helps!

The reason I said comparing apples to oranges is he's comparing one amp's power output at 0.5ohm against another amp's power output at 1ohm, and then attempting to believe the amps are similar.

A clamp meter doesn't measure any distortion or alteration to the signal shape, just power. Turning the gain up too high can result in a severely clipped signal, square wave, which will have a higher rms voltage then a sine wave. So in my opinion, it's absolutely useless to use a clamp meter to compare amplifiers.

Edited by stefanhinote

I take it as he heard his amp is capable of 5kw at .5 ohm, so assuming the .5 ohm output, at 1ohm would it push the same power as some of those amps he listed? Notice he didn't list 5kwrms amps, he listed 3k-3500 watt amps at 1ohm...

He even stated in a later post that he heard the saz3500d pushed 4-5k at .5 ohm, which WOULD be a direct comparison to his original post stating the 5k he heard HIS amp put out at .5 ohm....

so I would say he is trying to figure out how much power his amp could put out at .5 ohm with proper electrical and what other amps would it compare to?

I take it as he heard his amp is capable of 5kw at .5 ohm, so assuming the .5 ohm output, at 1ohm would it push the same power as some of those amps he listed? Notice he didn't list 5kwrms amps, he listed 3k-3500 watt amps at 1ohm...

He even stated in a later post that he heard the saz3500d pushed 4-5k at .5 ohm, which WOULD be a direct comparison to his original post stating the 5k he heard HIS amp put out at .5 ohm....

so I would say he is trying to figure out how much power his amp could put out at .5 ohm with proper electrical and what other amps would it compare to?

Either way, your still resorting to a rudimentary method for comparison.

Pretty sure that's all he's asking for, is a basic comparison, like, what to expect? Is it worth doing? Why does it seem you are posting only to be negative and try to make yourself seem more intelligent, where you are actually doing just the opposite...still curious how you think comparing output of two amps on same load at assumingly same voltage is apples to oranges....

Pretty sure that's all he's asking for, is a basic comparison, like, what to expect? Is it worth doing? Why does it seem you are posting only to be negative and try to make yourself seem more intelligent, where you are actually doing just the opposite...still curious how you think comparing output of two amps on same load at assumingly same voltage is apples to oranges....

Bro he does it all the time, post bullshit at first then when you call him on it he is the expert. This could of been answered 8 post ago if you would actually try and help. First post was clear as day in what he needed to know.

Mjmarovi to answer your question it would be in some one else's setup, every setup acts different. Just becuase someone has great success with a SAZ-3500d vs an IA40.1 doesnt mean you will and vice versa. Even if the SAZ-3500d does better numbers spl wise you will never know which amp put out the most power at the lowest distortion percentage.

Edited by jay-cee

Bro he does it all the time, post bullshit at first then when you call him on it he is the expert. This could of been answered 8 post ago if you would actually try and help. First post was clear as day in what he needed to know.

Mjmarovi to answer your question it would be in some one else's setup, every setup acts different. Just becuase someone has great success with a SAZ-3500d vs an IA40.1 doesnt mean you will and vice versa.

I'm not asking anything? Thank's for pointing out about everyone's setup acts different though, as I failed to do so, but at least he's got some idea now LOL.

Based upon information from the companies websites,

I would say that the DDM3a is comparable to the SAZ-2500d.

Thanks mjmarovi, that helped alot, I couldnt find that video on youtube, im glad you posted it, so it looks like it puts out about 5k on .5. Ill be running 1 ohm with a solid electrical. Also I hate that apples to oranges crap, oranges are healthier for you so the orange would win. Also the site says 2200 watts, but they post in their description something like "This amp is known to put out over 3000watts". So Id say its in the same range as a 3500d.

, but they post in their description something like "This amp is known to put out over 3000watts".

There simply isn't enough information from that for you to make that assumption. At what voltage is the M3a putting out over 3000 watts? I could see that on a 16v electrical system. Which would make it comparable with the SAZ-2500 again.

So Id say its in the same range as a 3500d.

Besides, if you knew the answer to your question then why ask it?

I'm not trying to be negative, I just wanted to point out a flaw that unfortunately effects the very thing the OP is looking at.

I never said comparing amplifier outputs with the same load is apples to oranges, I said comparing amplifiers with different loads.

I did however say "either way", which would imply that even if the loads were the same, you are still using a flawed method for comparison.

Logically one could think that you could max out each amplifier with the same load, with the same equal clipping, and measure the output. Then it would be a fair comparison?

Perhaps this could work, I don't know.

----------------------------------------------

Sorry OP for cluttering your thread with my pompous thoughts.

, but they post in their description something like "This amp is known to put out over 3000watts".

There simply isn't enough information from that for you to make that assumption. At what voltage is the M3a putting out over 3000 watts? I could see that on a 16v electrical system. Which would make it comparable with the SAZ-2500 again.

So Id say its in the same range as a 3500d.

Besides, if you knew the answer to your question then why ask it?

I came to that decision after reading the posts people put

I'm not trying to be negative, I just wanted to point out a flaw that unfortunately effects the very thing the OP is looking at.

I never said comparing amplifier outputs with the same load is apples to oranges, I said comparing amplifiers with different loads.

I did however say "either way", which would imply that even if the loads were the same, you are still using a flawed method for comparison.

Logically one could think that you could max out each amplifier with the same load, with the same equal clipping, and measure the output. Then it would be a fair comparison?

Well hell, Ill just assume with a solid electrical at 1ohm, im putting out 3000 watts. Problem solved.

My cousin had both of his M2as (strapped) clamped this past weekend and they put out 4200W at 2.2 ohms

So pretty much each one put out at 1 ohm the same power as the listed RMS for the M3a. Hope this sheds some light for you.

Well hell, Ill just assume with a solid electrical at 1ohm, im putting out 3000 watts. Problem solved.

I have one last pompous remark. smile.png

If you've ever heard: "if you double the power, best case scenario you can yield a 3dB gain", it's from: 10log(power1/power2).

Perception of loudness varies with frequency, and the change in loudness varies with the intial level. As the louder the initial level is, the more noticeable the change will be.

At low levels, sub bass 35hz would require a 9db change in order to hear a difference. Of course if you've been in a car that's 140dB loud and another that's 149dB loud (let's say same frequency to simplify things), you know that that 9dB is a HUGE change, and not a barely audible change.

That last part may have strayed a bit from the initial thought, god forbid I offer some food for thought, but my main point for your situation (bass frequencies): if you have amp a that makes 2500watts, and amp b that makes 3000watts, you won't be able to tell any difference. Now if your competing, then yeah you could gain some extra on the meter.

Edited by stefanhinote

Thanks mjmarovi, that helped alot, I couldnt find that video on youtube, im glad you posted it, so it looks like it puts out about 5k on .5. Ill be running 1 ohm with a solid electrical. Also I hate that apples to oranges crap, oranges are healthier for you so the orange would win. Also the site says 2200 watts, but they post in their description something like "This amp is known to put out over 3000watts". So Id say its in the same range as a 3500d.

I'm just going to ignore stefan from now on for your own sake, and If you'd like more help via PM feel free to message me, I apologize for all the crap that got on your thread.

Trod, would you by chance be able to get the voltage and resistance that clamp was done at? Would be interesting to know...

Glad I could help!