Sign in to follow this  
rsfaze

How many aero ports and what size?

Hey gang building a box for 2 sa12d4's and trying to figure out how many aero ports and what size. I would like the box to turn into the low 30's wink.gif

box dimension are 16x35x19 could go deeper if needed.

thanks in advance

I always try to limit number of ports to "one" .. and bigger is almost always better for efficiency .. so you might want to bend the port .....dimensions are inner or outer ?

What panel side are the sa12s going on, and on what side do you want the port(s) on?

dimensions are outside I changed a little bit 15x35x20. This gives me after displacement 4.32.

Port and subs will be on the same panel

dimensions are outside I changed a little bit 15x35x20. This gives me after displacement 4.32.

Port and subs will be on the same panel

Are the subs and port going to be on the 35" x 20" panel? Or 35" x 15"?

All4spl just posted.

Edited by stefanhinote

In my opinion, one 6" circular port isn't enough, but I'm not entirely sure how much turbulence exactly is reduced by the flaring. I'll email psp.

What type of vehicle is this going in?

What type of vehicle is this going in?

honda civic sedan

PSP got back to me, saying that their ports reduce turbulence, thus port noise, but don't effect port speed, and they didn't give any recommendation for how much less port area you could get away with in comparison to a standard port.

2 4" flared aeros may suffice. vent mach would be ~35 m/s.

Here is a box I did for a Ford Focus powered off a Sundown SAX-1200D and does a respectable 145.3 sealed at the dash on stock electrical. 3 4" PSP Ports tuned to 38hz.

20120202222047630.jpg

Edited by 98GMC

38 IMO is too high, I'm shooting for the low 30's. I'm going to try the single 6" and hope it works , if not I will have to go up a few Hz's and try (3) 4" which will tune to 34Hz.

Edited by rsfaze

PSP got back to me, saying that their ports reduce turbulence, thus port noise, but don't effect port speed, and they didn't give any recommendation for how much less port area you could get away with in comparison to a standard port.

2 4" give me less port area than the single 6". 2 4"s give me 25 inches of port area where as a single 6" gives you 28 inches.

What about a slot or square port? I had a single 1

6" aero on my single 12. I'd think that would be too small for 2 of them.

PSP got back to me and said one 6" would be good for 2 12's, we are going to try it, port came in today. If it doesn't sound good, then I will experiment with 3 4"

The PSP flared port is a little more efficient than a standard port.

That being said, you can get away with using a little smaller but the SA12 has more xmax than a standard 12" sub, i.e. needs more port area.

The port calculator says 66 sqin of port area for 2 SA 12s at 32hz tune.

Sure you can try 1 and see how you like it, but I mention it only because if you don't and turn around and add 3 4" ports that will drastically change your net volume and most likely require a rebuild.

The PSP flared port is a little more efficient than a standard port.

That being said, you can get away with using a little smaller but the SA12 has more xmax than a standard 12" sub, i.e. needs more port area.

The port calculator says 66 sqin of port area for 2 SA 12s at 32hz tune.

Sure you can try 1 and see how you like it, but I mention it only because if you don't and turn around and add 3 4" ports that will drastically change your net volume and most likely require a rebuild.

I hadn't taken into consideration the xmax .. doh!

The single 6 was already ordered and it came in today so it's going for a test run either way. Doing 3 4" does give me port area but still not 66 sqin, only 38 sqin. The one 6 of course gives me 28 sqin so I gain 10sq but also raise my tune a few Hz's.

As far as net volume with 3 4's its 4.16 sqin and with the 1 6" it's 4.32 sqin.

2 4" give me less port area than the single 6". 2 4"s give me 25 inches of port area where as a single 6" gives you 28 inches.

Your right, had a brain fart.

box is built and subs are in forgot to take an updated pic. I'm still in the process of sealing the front side of the box off from the trunk.. wow what a job but they sound dam impressive so far with the single 6" port, kept it at 14" long which tunes the box to 31Hz :D

419813_10150634489105000_790294999_9419587_1257297065_n.jpg

Edited by rsfaze

Looks nice! How much space between the port and back wall?

Looks nice! How much space between the port and back wall?

exactly 6" made the box 20" deep port is 14".. sounds awesome and moves a ton of air!

Sign in to follow this