Tirefryr

Mass backed carpet?

I'm ordering new carpet. Will soon be outfitting the truck with SDS, but want to know if I should buy the mass-backed carpet for an extra $50 or not?

just curious, are you planning to use mlv under the carpet?

No idea. I haven't done enough research on deadening yet to know what I need, but i am purchasing carpet before anything else.

The real question is what is the mass/$$ ratio and can you cover the whole floor with MLV for similar dough. If they label it mass backed they should give you its mass, if not I wouldn't be interested in it at all. Once you have that the comparison is easier.

Wish I was out there, no idea why, but I love installing SDS.

The real question is what is the mass/$$ ratio and can you cover the whole floor with MLV for similar dough. If they label it mass backed they should give you its mass, if not I wouldn't be interested in it at all. Once you have that the comparison is easier.

Thanks! I'll call the manufacturer today and find out.

That really is the critical question. I've seen mass backed carpets that had a backing that was .25 lb/ft² or less. If you'll be putting 1 lb/ft² MLV under that, it won't make an audible difference. The other issue is that while the mass backing may not have a lot of sound blocking capacity it can be the difference between a premium product and a really flimsy piece of crap. It can also be the only thing that gives the carpet shape.

Sometimes mass backing is an effective noise control tool. Sometimes it's like the heat reduction claims made for foil faced vibration dampers - it's not technically a lie, so let's claim it as a feature :)