Sign in to follow this  
SS Teacher

Sub upgrade, opinion sought

I want to upgrade from a JL 12W0 getting 250 watts rms from a Boston GTA1005 in a Dodge Challenger coupe.

I would like more trunk space, so any enclosure over 2 cubic feet will not be considered. The GTA1005 will not be

replaced, it puts out 250 rms into 4 ohms and 400 rms into 2 ohms. I was considering the following but will certainly

entertain other ideas. Thank you for your opinions and advice.

1. JL stealth box- JL 12W3- 2 ohm

2. 2 Sundown E8s in either ported or sealed. Plan to remove the rear 6 1/2" stock rear fill and fire subs through

the rear deck into the cabin. They'll be getting 200 rms each.

3. Single JL 8W7 firing through the factory cut out in rear deck. It'll be getting about 325 watts rms. I know this

isn't the best option, but the thought of owning a legendary sub appeals to me.

4. I've never done IB before, but maybee an Fi 15" in IB?

I got out of car audio in the early 90s and am just getting back in... much has changed! Once again, thanks.

or single Sundown SA8 (or SA10) ported on 400 w rms.

2ft3 gross ? Single 8" ported.

Take a look at the SSA Dcon with your 400 watts.

i would go with 2 e8s or even one sa10 in a sealed box around .5 cubic feet after displacement of the subs or you could go with one e12 in a ported box at 2 cubic feet after su and port displacement and run it at 2 ohms eather way would look nice i just dont like jl they to over priced and they dont satify me morning.gif

What about your current system are you not satisfied with? Are you looking for more output? What is your budget?

I am happy with the quality of the JL in a sealed box of 1.4 cu ft, but I would like more volume. I (and more

importantly my wife) are unwilling to replace the factory HU, so I just bought an audio control LC2I and hope

to get better results than I currently get. I love the sound, but I just don't get the volume. The most I would

spend would be $500 to 600, but lower is always better, I am a teacher who hasn't gotten a raise in 4 years.

Ported boxes used to produce boomy or sloppy bass, but I know todays subs are much better than yesteryear.

I do love the crisp, tight bass from a sealed enclosure and would lean in that direction.

With the power , space and budget you have, an ssa dcon 10'' dual 4 ohm wired down to 2 ohms, ported with an enclosure built to specs would fit right into the slot, and if you can build the enclosure your self it would save you alot.

Edited by StreetLegal

This is an easy question to answer. No doubt, with that power I would use an SSA DCON. Either the 10 or the 12 would work in your situation. I personally would go ported. You are looking for more output, and the proper ported enclosurewill accomplish that.

what do you listen to? I would even suggest a 15" dcon in a sealed 2 cube box.

My favorite genres are pop, techno, and dance. I don't listen to current rap. My wife enjoys country.

Would the 10" DCON in a ported box sound as crisp and accurate as my JL 12W0 in

a sealed? Suggestions on tuning? 30hz, 33hz? I would do the 15 in a 2 cube box, but the smaller

the box the better, I love to take this car on family vacations. Thanks for all the input.

Yes a properly built ported enclosure will have accurate and crisp sound. If you do choose the SSA DCON, build a ported box for it. They work amazing in a ported enclosure. For tuning I would aim for 33-37hz.

I agree with the recommendations above. It will be pretty hard to beat the quality and performance the DCON can offer you at it's price range. The DCON in a proper built to spec ported enclosure is quite amazing to listen to. I wrote a REVIEW of the one I got for my sister. It played everything I threw at it wish finesse, precision, and much gusto as it was called upon. The only problem I ever heard was some strain from the amplifier and with your BA amp that should not be any issue like it was for her.

Do what I do, and run quick disconnects on your box. That way if you need trunk space, you remove the box. On a day to day basis, most people only carry junk in their trunk.

^^^^ That's very true, it's generally my favorite way to do installations.

THESE are a great way to go for a quick disconnect!

Here's an example of where I used them in my own build:

0824001547a.jpg

I currently have the quick disconnect, but a family road trip with no sub? NOT IN MY

FAMILY! Think of the children.

I didn't expect love for JL, but DCONs have to be pretty sweet based on all these

recommendations. I'm going to assume that 2 sundown E8s probably won't hit as

hard as the ported DCON 10. Alton, thanks for the great review. Any thoughts on

an Fi 15 or 18 in IB, their IB line is reasonable and I found a certified installer who could set it up for me for less than $300 (plus $250ish for the sub).

Based on your goals it sounds like you're wanting an increase in output without increasing enclosure size. Your goals can be achieved, albeit at the expense of low end extension. That's Hoffman's Iron Law at work. Luckily the transfer function in a car helps out with that a little bit. If you haven't already, it may be beneficial for you to model your woofer along with a few perspective others in various enclosures. Obviously it won't be an exact representation, but it'll give you an idea. Every vehicle will be different, but I've read that a 12db/octave slope at 50Hz is a decent approximation of cabin gain.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but it's something to consider and hopefully guide you towards an informed decision.

I currently have the quick disconnect, but a family road trip with no sub? NOT IN MY

FAMILY! Think of the children.

I didn't expect love for JL, but DCONs have to be pretty sweet based on all these

recommendations. I'm going to assume that 2 sundown E8s probably won't hit as

hard as the ported DCON 10. Alton, thanks for the great review. Any thoughts on

an Fi 15 or 18 in IB, their IB line is reasonable and I found a certified installer who could set it up for me for less than $300 (plus $250ish for the sub).

IB is a great way to save some space and retain output. the only thing you need to worry about is sealing the trunk from the cabin and building a solid baffle. i think an ib 15 would likely have equal if not more output then the other options listed.

Edited by lithium

Thanks for all the input. I bought an Audio Control LC2i and had a local shop spend about 3 hours fixing mistakes other people made and it sounds way better. I plan to

keep the JL12W0 in the 1.4 cubic foot sealed box for family trips when trunk space is

at a premium, and order a DCON 15 over the summer.

THAT is a great option if you don't mind swapping the enclosures out. The output of the 15" DCON in a proper ported enclosure should far exceed that of the W0. Swapping them back and forth is a good option IMHO. It's not for everyone, but it gives the best overall flexibility.