mathewdylang

Aeroport first time

I'm looking into aero porting my box for my 15 so I can save room instead of building the box around the port. According to the Torres Box Calc 20x20x20 gives me a gross of 3.66ft3. .2ft3 sub displacement, double baffle, .01ft3 bracing (estimated) and a single 6" aero from psp, puts me at almost exactly 3 cubes at 38hz. The sub is an AA Havoc 15 on a MB Quart discus 1500.1. So now my question is, I know 12-16in2 generic rule, but the calc says my suggested port area is 28-40in2, and the 6in give me 28.26in2. Is that enough port area using an aero? its only 9.14in2 per foot. sub would face back and the port up, or sub up port back either way. I'm trying to stay within 35-38hz tuning so I can still get lows but be able to compete.

Aeroports are a little more efficient than a standard round port. That being said it is a little on the small side but you may be able to get away with it. I myself would probably go with an 8" port, either sonotube or aeroport. I'm not real familiar with that sub and haven't built a box for one to play with.

Also be sure you use the PSP calculator for length as the Torres is a little off for an aero.

It says 11" for flare and 10" for straight. The 11" is that flares included?

lets say you were going to go with multiple ports, the psp calculator says like 10 inch of port for a single aeroport, but when i put input 2 ports into the equation it gives me a crazy number like 20+ of port. is this divided into each port or would it be 20+ for each of my ports.

ive been playing with the numbers so i can't say exactly what net volume or size of aeroport. but you get the idea...

More ports you're gonna have to go longer to hit the tunic you want. 20 wouldn't surprise me.

Yes that is total length. If you are using an inner flare you will need to add another inch as well. I'm pretty sure they only include the single flare in the calculator.

Yes that is total length. If you are using an inner flare you will need to add another inch as well. I'm pretty sure they only include the single flare in the calculator.

some where on the psp site it says that you add 1/2" to your port for each flare. and you do get both ends flared, so in the end you would add 1" to it.

so if you were to cut an 11" flared port, only 10 inchs would be available as a port. 1/2" of each end is ineffective in tuning.

Yep that is correct. 1" is for both flares. I just looked again. Sucks getting old.

some where on the psp site it says that you add 1/2" to your port for each flare. and you do get both ends flared, so in the end you would add 1" to it.

so if you were to cut an 11" flared port, only 10 inchs would be available as a port. 1/2" of each end is ineffective in tuning.

I wouldn't totally say that unless it's been given fact by psp. Afaik, the are is traveling through the 1" of flares which means it IS effecting the tuning. If the port gains length due to the flares the the port is longer and therefore should be calculated as so. I might be wrong but I've yet to hear different advice...

I just figured they took in account the flare which is why its an inch longer... either way... lol

Yep that is correct. 1" is for both flares. I just looked again. Sucks getting old.

At least it makes for a good excuse hehe

If i were you i would get an 8" aero, that sub can displace some air

4-x-5-with-holes.jpgPSP4-BKH-5 - 4" x 5" unit that includes 1 outside flare with mounting holes,

1 inside falre, and 1 connecting ring. 6" overall length with only 5" usable because of flares on both ends.

http://www.psp-inc.com/products_4.html

im just going by the book

im planning on going with an aeroport my next build but my box dimensions no matter what will not accomadate the necessary length. has anyone ever tried, or even heard of using elbows on their aeroports?? it would be pretty sweet to fit a 6" or 8" aeroport into a box without having to extend it outside the box. of course you would need to brace the port in certain places. :)

Yes you can 90 it. The problem is the PSP brand is an odd size and difficult to find the right size. If you buy one made from pvc you can find it more easily.

my friend has this set up on his car hes not complaining41347b0bda2361211952a6969f6a6e12.jpg

I had a 15" Xcon in a 3.1ft3 net box, using only 2 4" flared aeroports. I use all the 17" of the original port.

The box is tuned to 33 Hz IIRC.

I loved it. Now this box has a 15" Fi btl n2 in it, and it slams sooo hard,and hits the lows very well.

Maybe it would have been better with bigger ports, like 6" or 8" but it can take a lot of space in the box.

Good luck !