I currently have a 2005 single cab Dodge Ram 1500. I recently ordered a Sundown Audio SA-8 D4 v.1. I have a 1k Hifonics Mono Amp i was hoping to push this sub with.

Im having issues getting a box design. I built my own and friends boxes but only merely guessing needed airspace and very unfamiliar with tuning. I under stand its got to do with the driver, box volume and port length and size but beyond that im a noob. From reading around I've seen that these subs need about .5-.75 cubs of box at about 30 to 40hz? My first box attempt was around .6cubs but the port was about 1"x8" and only 27" long which im almost positive is incorrect because the sub will not even do any notes below 40hz with tones.

I need some assistance on where i should start box wise and if it would be possible to fit 2 of these subs in the back of my truck. To give and idea of what the space is like I currently have a 4.cub box with 2kicker 12's behind the seats. the box is around 40+"x11x14. Im sure there's room is mainly the videos from YouTube with these subs with ports bigger than the actual box space is what scares me. I appreciate the future help.

lets define some terms the rest is simple math

-gross volume. total volume of the box without any displacement calculated (external dimensions)

-net volume. volume of the air space after subtracting port displacement, sub displacement, bracing, etc.

-port displacement. volume of air occupied by the port inside the box

-sub displacement. volume of air occupied by the subwoofer inside the box

-port area- self explanatory

-port length- hope this is too

so the net volume for the sa-8 you say is .5-.75 cubes. that means that after all displacement you need .5-.75 cubes of space.

i didn't go over your numbers to see where you made a mistake.

google the appropriate online calculators and figure things out.

You need a lot more port area. A 1x8 is way small.

It is tricky to build a single 8 box tuned correctly. It will not be a small box.

You could try a passive radiator. Jacob did some testing with a psi 10" with good results.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

1. Recent Topics

• 17 comments
        • 393 comments
        • 2 comments
        • 5 comments
        • 6 comments
        • 1 comment
  • Similar Content

• By Ryann627
      I currently own a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier that I am currently building a subwoofer install in.
      My complete and current installs:
      New Kenwood KDC-BT378U radio with built-in speaker amp, All new door and deck speakers. (COMPLETE)
      Big 3 Kit, Mechman 270 AMP Alternator, (1) Sundown ZV6 12" 2-OHM 2500W Subwoofer (wired to 1 OHM), One run of 1/0 gauge wire complete with fuse and capacitor), Fiberglass Subwoofer Box(Not sure what size yet, any help on this would be greatly appreciated)
      Just wondering if all the above installs with be able to comfortably power a 3000 watt amplifier to run the subwoofer properly? I know Sundown Subwoofers are underrated, just not sure if I want to over-power by more than 500W, seems safer to me like that, unless I'm wrong? Never dealt with this much power before, max was 600 watts before this build.
      Any other install recommendations? Bigger battery because it is stock? Better springs for the added weight in the rear? Box will be fiberglass but the subwoofer alone weighs 95 pounds.
      Thanks in advance guys.
    • By Aaron Clinton
      A brief introduction to the all new SSA Demon, but first a farewell to its predecessor. 
           Our very long running SSA Dcon has ridden off into the sunset, or at least taking a breather.  The SSA Dcon was our second subwoofer model we ever launched.  At the very beginning, we had the Icon and as it gained traction we saw there was a need for a pure SQ sub of more modest power rating than that the Icon.  So in early 2008, the first SSA Dcon was launched.  (The Xcon followed shortly after).  That being said, the Dcon was almost an immediate hit, with a long 2" copper coil (rarity to have one made in the USA) triple stack motor, rear vent.  The Dcon was very affordable, well made, quite efficient, clean across the entire range, and flexible with enclosure demands.  It is interesting as there are some SSA Family members who swear by their Dcon and will not give it up ever.  (It even became a favorite of some of the home audio crowd).  All that being said, the Dcon evolved a bit for its second generation, we made a leap forward in motor force moving to what is best described as a scaled down Xcon motor, with a large single slug, solid pole, and deeply bumped back plate, while beefing up the suspension and leads.  We were able to bring the power handling up 33% while not hurting the sound that made the Dcon successful.  There was a stretch of a few years, before we ran out of stock, that the SSA Dcon 12 was our all time best selling subwoofer.  So its existence was very important to SSA.  Well with changes in the market (read:customer demands and amps getting much cheaper), as well as sky rocketing material costs, building the Dcon in the USA no longer was an option, so production stopped early 2017 for both the Dcon (and Gcon) and inventory ran out later that year. 
           Late last year, due to the long lay off with out the Dcon (and Gcon), we started development of an updated Dcon at a new build house.  The quality and performance of our SSA Evil1 tweeters were above our expectations, so we decided to send more production to that same build house.   As we saw that the market slowed overall for modest power rated subs due to power getting cheaper and people wanting higher power handling subs, so the market began to really start heating up in the 500 - 1200 watt range, I knew we needed to address it.  There is an 8" model developed, but it will not make it this first production run.  
           The new model had to handle more power and have more xmax while not sacrificing the balanced and clean sound the Dcon had established for nearly a decade.  That meant larger motor, larger coil, more suspension, larger leads, thicker cone, taller surround, etc.  In the end, all of the changes that happened to the over all design, we could no longer call it a Dcon.  In sticking with the theme of the Evil, a model name that has become so well known, while respecting the Dcon, the Demon name was selected.  The Demon is a great blend of the previous Dcon and Xcon, both in design and appearance.  In prototype testing, the SSA Demon thrived smaller to mid-sized ported and mid-sized sealed enclosures.
      Quick SSA Demon stats:
      2.5" copper coil Aluminum former Aluminum Shorting ring Solid pole, non-vented bumped back plate Large single slug motor Pressed pulp cone Tall roll surround Push terminals Dual Nomex progressive spiders Stitched tinsel leads Large dome dustcap I will list T/S specs and enclosure recommendations shortly.  We are very excited about the SSA Demon as it bringing back to our line up a pure sound quality subwoofer that will be affordable, while still having the characteristic SSA warmth and output. 

• By DedicatedEnthusiast
      B2 Audio X2C 15
      $650 shipped!
      Contact at 440-915-2309 for further questions/concerns. 

• Recent YouTube Posts