mathewdylang

To change subs or not

A buddy of mine still has the first system he bought a couple years ago consisting of 2 Kicker CVX 15s in a sealed box (the shop said they couldnt make a ported box with space they had, but I ran it on Torres an the box would have only had to be 2in taller to run a port which would put him at the top of his back seat.) He said he likes his 15s but he wants to be "louder" and hit the lows better. I told him I could build a ported box for his car, or we could upgrade subs for the new box. I have him looking at the XCON 18. He has a HIFONICS Brutus 2200. I figured at 1 ohm he would see 1700-1800 watts. Would 1 XCON 18 in 6 cube box at 34hz be as "loud" or "louder" than the 2 CVX? I figured with more motor strength and more XMAX to work with in a ported box it would do as good if not better than the Kickers. I know questions like this get asked all the time but I don't want to tell him wrong and him be unhappy. Any input guys?

BTW:

1995 Saturn SW2 (wagon)

box would be 6ft^3 @34hz (after sub displacement and bracing)

Brutus 2200d

his alternator was rebuilt to 150a

and he wants to add a small battery in the back

all on 0ga with big 3 done

Keep the 15s, build a better box. HUGE displacement advantage with twin 15s versus one 18.

yep, no need to spend more money. what did you come up with for the box?

i miss my cvx 15's. just build a better box for them. once them things are ported, they will come alive im telling u lol. my buddy had 2 of the newest modle cvx 15's on a alpine mrp2000 in a jeep and still do this day, are one of the loudest systems iv ever heard.

Try ported first, with the Kicker's and see what he likes then, that would be the cheapest route