helotr3vor

Amp gains

I've searched around for the gain information for sundown but I haven't been able to find it. I just received a SAX-1200D and I'm unsure about some of the gains. Is there a thread that goes in depth about Sundowns gains? I'm unsure how I should set them I wont get my sub for another week though so I cant trial and error. Can someone lead me in the right direction? Pictures help out a lot!

Thanks,

Trevor

I've searched around for the gain information for sundown but I haven't been able to find it. I just received a SAX-1200D and I'm unsure about some of the gains. Is there a thread that goes in depth about Sundowns gains? I'm unsure how I should set them I wont get my sub for another week though so I cant trial and error. Can someone lead me in the right direction? Pictures help out a lot!

Thanks,

Trevor

Depending on your box You will want to set your SSF (Subsonic filter) 3-4hz below your port tuning (if you're running a ported box) adjust the LPF where ever your mids roll off at which can range from 50-125hz The low-pass filter eliminates the notes you don't want your subwoofer to play. It also acts like a tone control to capture the "edges" of the kick drum's sound; the attack and release of its boom. Filter out the cymbals, strings, vocals, and guitars. Leave the bass and the low drums.. DO not use bass boost!

This post on crutchfield will also help..

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GZMC37viYHD/learn/car/subwoofers/tuning.html

th

Hey Trevor,

I used my DD-1 and CC-1 to set my gains and filters. Really quick and easy to setup. I have a thread on another forum that will help you locate a DD-1 and CC-1. I will PM you the link.

Hey Trevor,

I used my DD-1 and CC-1 to set my gains and filters. Really quick and easy to setup. I have a thread on another forum that will help you locate a DD-1 and CC-1. I will PM you the link.

etting your gains with an o-scope is idiotic.

reasons being:

- You can't hear even significant distortion in sub frequencies so why set it at "no" distortion

- Not all CD's are recorded at the same level so what level do you set it at with the o-scope?

- You can't hear the difference between 900w and 1000w so why do you care if you set it to 1000w? (you can take this a lot further than 10% btw)

- Everyone ignores the resolution of the Oscope and assumes that a mostly rounded wave means no distortion. It would be a good exercise for you to see a 5% distorted wave in the time domain and then reduce the spatial resolution. No clipping and clipping can easily look the same

There are more, but you get the picture. There is really no logic in using a DMM, Oscope, Distortion detector (ROFL) for setting gains. The reason the oscope was made popular on forums is that people were using DMM's and setting their gains to a voltage that their amps were rated for but couldn't produce cleanly at all. If you are dumb enough to need "every last drop" then the oscope is better than the DMM but that isn't saying anything.