russelthalovemuscle

Lethal Injection power handling

I am getting 2 Lethal Injection 12s and I was just wondering how much clean power they can actually take? I know they can take more than 600 rms with a 3 inch coil.

If you have to ask then stick to rms rating plain and simple. Different factors call for different power levels, every install is different so what works for one person may not work for you and vice versa.

Clean has nothing to to do with anything. If you put more than 600 watts of any type of continuos signal into the driver you risk thermal failure.

I'd say around 10kw a piece. All depends on the install and your experience with subwoofers.

wow just wanted a round about straight answer. Like maybe from experience. My gains get set from a DD 1. So I was just wondering if say its ok to put them on a bc 2k or maybe even 3.5? Next time I just wont ask questions if im going to get flamed by everyone for a innocent question....or ill go to diyma and ask

Haha, yeah put them on a 3500 and be my guess. Everybody gave you a straight forward response, read them without emotion and you will see a couple people gave you the answers you need. Ive seen BTLs take 4000 with no problem and i seen BTLs die of 2000 or less so whats your point. So if you have to ask then 10 times out of 10 doubling rms wont be in your favor and is pointlesd in a daily driver.

Double post FTL

Edited by jay-cee

SA's take around 1500rms a piece with a 2.5 inch coil so yeah thats why i asked.

Using that logic the IA's should be able to take 5k plus because I have seen people do it with other 3" coils. Coil size is only part of the puzzle.

Never mind. I called IA and asked. they said 600-900 rms. Straight answer and they werent assholes about it.

People gave you straight forward answers. What is even the point of running more power to them? If you want to run more power buy woofers that can handle the power you are giving.

It's an Internet forum don't let it ruin your day.

I gave you an answer that was textbook. You are making a big deal out of nothing.

Oh they can

People gave you straight forward answers. What is even the point of running more power to them? If you want to run more power buy woofers that can handle the power you are giving.

Oh they can handle it.

P eople gave you straight forward answers. What is even the point of running more power to them? If you want to run more power buy woofers that can handle the power you are giving.

No bro you have to let it ruin your day thats how it works :P:

what sense it is to be sarcastic to a guy asking a innocent question ? , if forum members dont know the answer then u simply shud not post useless answers

it is advised to have sufficient headroom on any amp for any sub , usually 20% more amp power is good so if its a 1000wrms rated sub u buy a 1200wrms amp

in the case of any of IA sub they can handle about 13-12 more power than rated

if its a pair ur going to get : i'd recommend like a 1800-2000wrm amp provided the enclosure & install is being done properly of course

what sense it is to be sarcastic to a guy asking a innocent question ? , if forum members dont know the answer then u simply shud not post useless answers

it is advised to have sufficient headroom on any amp for any sub , usually 20% more amp power is good so if its a 1000wrms rated sub u buy a 1200wrms amp

in the case of any of IA sub they can handle about 13-12 more power than rated

if its a pair ur going to get : i'd recommend like a 1800-2000wrm amp provided the enclosure & install is being done properly of course

Correct and incorrect, head room can be bad a downfall if not used correctly. I wasnt sarcastic and gave a reasonable answer, in car audio there are no set answers especially when it comes to a speakers power handling. Just cause a coil can receive 900rms thermally doesnt mean that sub can take those 900rms mechanically in that box or setup and vice versa. So there is more to it then yeah get a 2000 watt amplifier and your set.

Edited by jay-cee

are u saying a sub is rated 600wrms so get a 600wrms amp ?

if u & anybody else wants to do that then thats cool

i will put a 600wrms amp or probably more on mine like i already have been doing with the couple of IA subs i have owned & worked with

are u saying a sub is rated 600wrms so get a 600wrms amp ?

if u & anybody else wants to do that then thats cool

i will put a 600wrms amp or probably more on mine like i already have been doing with the couple of IA subs i have owned & worked with

So i guess you never heard there is no such thing as underpowering a subwoofer or think that a sub needs more than or double rms to reach its output. Nobody said it was something wrong with getting an amp that puts out more power than your sub is rated, it goes back to those factors i was talking about: music being dynamic, box size, etc. Reread and comprehend what is said, there are too many factors to decide what a sub can handle especially with the given information that was given. So if you have to ask and dont know what your doing, it would be safe to stick with rms ratings.

^Yes. And additionally, you can cause thermal failure of any driver truly rated at 600 watts with an amplifier that will produce a 600 watt sine wave. So in reality even saying a 600 watt amplifier would be safe is incorrect.

The bottom line is that a particular driver has a set thermal limit. If you exceed that limit in any way you will cause failure. If you cannot figure this out than you will either continually blow drivers or severely have to cut back on your available power.

And the whole "I run 2X RMS without issue" Blah Blah Blah is a crock of shit. Nobody runs 2-4 times the RMS rated power to a driver on a continuous basis; if you did it will fail... You may have amplifiers that are capable of producing many times the rated power of the driver, but you are never effectively transferring this power to the driver on any type of continuous basis

And the whole "I run 2X RMS without issue" Blah Blah Blah is a crock of shit. Nobody runs 2-4 times the RMS rated power to a driver on a continuous basis; if you did it will fail...

+1.gif

u never know who is behind a forum user name , their knowledge , experience or what they have accomplished so u cannot assume that i do not know what i am talking about or think that u are teaching me new something that i didnt already know yrs ago

i do not want to get into any immature pissing match so u guys go right ahead

u never know who is behind a forum user name , their knowledge , experience or what they have accomplished so u cannot assume that i do not know what i am talking about or think that u are teaching me new something that i didnt already know yrs ago

Exactly people see that my status says "newbie" well im not i just dont use this forum much. But its cool i got a MB Quart 2k. Ive never blown a woofer. Ill be fine on that amp. Im not stupid. So yeah i think ill be just fine with my 2k and active set up. Oh what a "newb" is going active? Oh how did he know what that was? Ha ha anyway. Thanks SPL MAN. At least you understood what the question was. Didnt need to hear from people who dont own Lethal Injections but thanks for chiming in.

Exactly people see that my status says "newbie" well im not i just dont use this forum much. But its cool i got a MB Quart 2k. Ive never blown a woofer. Ill be fine on that amp. Im not stupid. So yeah i think ill be just fine with my 2k and active set up. Oh what a "newb" is going active? Oh how did he know what that was? Ha ha anyway. Thanks SPL MAN. At least you understood what the question was. Didnt need to hear from people who dont own Lethal Injections but thanks for chiming in.

It has nothing to do with the user status, everything to do with the nature of the question asked. You were given an accurate answer to the question you asked, just because it wasn't the answer you wanted doesn't make the answer wrong. It sounds like you were planning on running a certain level of power on the anyways, given your advanced knowledge and expertise......more power to you, no pun intended. Though you aren't going to hear a difference between 600w per driver and 900w per driver, so I'm not sure of the point. Unless you are chasing numbers on a meter there's no reason to run more power. And since you are so experienced & knowledgeable already you should have already understand how to properly set the system to not overdrive the speakers with a more powerful amplifier, so getting a specific answer giving a numerical power range shouldn't have been necessary for someone such as yourself.

Running active has absolutely no correlation to someone's knowledge or experience level. There are hundreds of "newbs" running active who honestly have absolutely no business running active. Experience doesn't necessarily equate to knowledge. "Newb" is a relative term. Some people are newbs compared to you and me, we are the newbs compared to other people.

As for knowing who's behind the user name....honestly, it doesn't matter who. An accurate answer is an accurate answer. If the answer was below your knowledge & experience level then what does that say about the question?

Seriously? Why even ask the question then? If you have a fair amount of experience in car audio you knew the answer. Also, running an active setup is easy. Running it correctly is another thing.

thanks OP smile.png

sometimes i get the feeling that ppl judge a username based on how many posts he has , lack of flashy builds\pics , how long u been on here , popularity etc , in other words : judging a book by its cover

even though i signed onto here going into 3yrs i hardly post & mostly just enjoy looking at builds so it may give the impression he probably is a newb that does not know much

my low post count falls into that newbie name category but i dont care about that . In other forums my post count is in the 1000s so it does not necessarily mean i have to do that here too to make myself look good

some ppl really make a mountain out of a molehill

getting back to the original question

I am getting 2 Lethal Injection 12s and I was just wondering how much clean power they can actually take? I know they can take more than 600 rms with a 3 inch coil.

& then

Never mind. I called IA and asked. they said 600-900 rms. Straight answer and they werent arsehos about it.

i see absolutely nothing wrong with the 1st post i made & as i suspected : the OP confirmed that he is not a moron with no common sense instead of ppl assuming that he is

i think he has the answer right there from IA since some ppl here are claiming to know more about it than the ppl at IA who made the sub or others who have actually used the product