itzme218

1.75@32hz vs 2.0@27hz differences

I'm trying to understand ported boxes and trying to find somthing i'll like for my 12" RL-p D2 thats powered with 600watts. What would be the difference between a ported box that is 1.75@32hz VS one that is 2.0@27hz? or one that is even at 2.0@32hz?

Which one would u go for?

I'm confused with box size and tuning freq. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help you may give

it seems that the bigger the box, the boomier the RL-p will be. i guess they are just small enclosure drivers...

i choose the 1.75@32

I went with the larger box of 2.0 and 27hz, it loves that box and has a quality bottom end, if you want more output tune up towards 34hz, I just tuned to a flat as possible response

i have no qualms about going 1.5 ft^3 ~ 34hz (mike's rec) but once again, you guys all make me feel like the guy in the locker room with the small willy with your big boxes and low tuning :(

I'm trying to understand ported boxes and trying to find somthing i'll like for my 12" RL-p D2 thats powered with 600watts. What would be the difference between a ported box that is 1.75@32hz VS one that is 2.0@27hz? or one that is even at 2.0@32hz?

Which one would u go for?

I'm confused with box size and tuning freq.  :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help you may give

There are a few things to consider. First, the larger the box, the greater your relative overall output should be, just as a higher tuning frequency will typically create a higher peak output. Second, the tuning frequency will play a hand in determining where your peak frequency will be, where lower tunings will allow greater low-frequency extension, and higher tunings will limit the low end. With respect to the RL-p12, I've found the ideal car-audio enclosure to be between 1.5 - 2.0 cu ft in net volume, and tuned between 28 - 34 Hz. I would suggest that you either stick towards the relatively small internal volume & higher tuning, or the relatively large internal volume and lower tuning, as this will aid in maintaining a flat frequency response.

For example, if you run with 1.5 cu ft @ 34 Hz, you will have a fairly balanced response with relatively high output capability. Likewise, with 2.0 cu ft @ 28 Hz you will maintain a relatively balanced response with slightly greater low-frequency extension, perhaps at the expense of a touch of overall output capability. If, however, you went with the larger 2.0 cu ft box and tuned towards the higher 34 Hz frequency range, your response will no longer remain as flat as the relatively large box and high tuning will create a peak in your response near 35 Hz. This box will be -- overall -- the loudest of the three, but it won't sound as pleasing to the ear as certain frequencies will perform considerably louder than others.

Thanks for all the responses. Big THANKS to Mike for the explanition. I will probably end up making the 1.75@32hz

i have no qualms about going 1.5 ft^3 ~ 34hz (mike's rec) but once again, you guys all make me feel like the guy in the locker room with the small willy with your big boxes and low tuning :(

If we went any bigger the enclosure wouldnt fit...

That reason is invalid. :runlaugh:

i know. thats why i still think about just running 1 w/ a big box.. but i think about changing sh!t up too often

sound, how's it sound??

looks really good!

i liek the fishman grilles over PE's, but PE's >fishman price wise..lol....and i think the PE's allow more excursion..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Looks good, how do you like it?