onebadmonte

A Suburban A Warhorse and a Pair of SMDeez

Pretty sweet buddy. Awsome build all around.

Thanks man, always appreciate it. You know me, always trying to keep up with the Mead's. :P

Long time no talk biggrin.png how's everybody doing? I've got a little update to share. Since having my arse handed to me at an SQ comp in College Station and being a little jelly of all the badass fiberglass work I've been seeing as of late. I've decided to up my game a wee bit, starting with the a-pillars. Lets begin. smile.png

I started off with a little flush mount pad for the tweeter and a little mdf wedge to mount it on the a-pillar.

1_zps48fe3876.jpg

After a couple of measurements I mounted the pads onto the a-pillar with a generous amount of hot glue.

2_zps35f4ccfc.jpg

A quick trip to the dollar store netted a nice pair of ladies knee-highs. I added some rubber bands to help shape the pod to my liking.

3_zpse838926c.jpg

I opted for a thin layer of resin on the nylon for a little rigidity before laying down some glass.

4_zps79ae8699.jpg

With the rubber bands out of the way I laid down two layers of woven style fiberglass. FYI, all glassing materials were picked up at the local Wally-mart. tongue.png

5_zps9527efe9.jpg

After a light sanding some body filler went on.

06_zps2804767c.jpg

After some more sanding the light weight body filler went on.

07_zps84ced6a1.jpg

After even more sanding the surface is finally ready.

08_zps6f6901ef.jpg

With a show coming up I opted to install the a-pillars naked. Some time next week I'll be wrapping them in vinyl. For now some as installed pics.

A shot from the drivers side looking towards the passenger side tweeter.

09_zps18147764.jpg

Now from the passenger side looking at the driver side tweeter.

10_zpsdec009f7.jpg

Lastly a pick from the rear seat.

11_zps7884ae26.jpg

Till next time, enjoy. biggrin.png

I'm totally tellin your wife you stole her panty hose.

You coming out this weekend?

I'm totally tellin your wife you stole her panty hose. You coming out this weekend?

O_o

Lol! I'll be there. What days are you guys going to be there?

Just Sunday for me probably

Just Sunday for me probably

Cool beans, see you there.

FYI, I fessed up about the knee-highs to the Mrs. It's better she hears it from me than reads about it on the interwebs. :D

Looking nice!!!

WOW nice work! Just let me know when you want me to send you my pillars and tweeters! Good luck at your next comp man.

Looking nice!!!

I'm trying. :D

WOW nice work! Just let me know when you want me to send you my pillars and tweeters! Good luck at your next comp man.

Lol! Practice makes perfect, and God knows I need all the practice I can get. :D I'm hoping to do well at this comp. Thanks. :)

How do you like the tweeters in their new position? For the price I couldn't help but order a pair, should come in handy soon.

How do you like the tweeters in their new position? For the price I couldn't help but order a pair, should come in handy soon.

They sound better. I'm at the mercy of the MS8 though. I end up going through a couple of auto-tunes before hearing a tune that I like. From there I bust out the RTA and tinker about with the EQ. Definitely a good value. Right now I have them high passed at 2K Hz on a 24dB/oct slope. That seems to be the ticket. :D

i heard them at IFO it sounds really good,

and hugo you are a master at your craft, damn i wish my pillers came out as nice as yours

i may be going on sunday aswell.. maybe we can ride out togather?

Wow, is it THAT easy?

i heard them at IFO it sounds really good, and hugo you are a master at your craft, damn i wish my pillers came out as nice as yours i may be going on sunday aswell.. maybe we can ride out togather?

Ha ha, as usual I'm late to my own party. :P Thanks Jon. Sorry we wont be caravan-ing out to the show, but I'll see you there. :D

HELLO HUGO! hay.gif great job it looks good!

Hey you! gayhaaay1.gif Thanks. Now it's time for you to step up your game. :D he he.

Wow, is it THAT easy?

Not even. I cant imagine anybody doing this for a living and making money on it. Well, it wasn't that bad. One thing is for sure, if you don't have a quality respirator, you'll be miserable doing this.

Ever since I got into car audio, I had it in my head, that the pinnacle of SQ was running

underdash horns. I was young and naive. Regardless, over the years I would tell myself that

one day I would run some underdash horns. Well, that day has come, and here is the proof. biggrin.png

I stuck with an original:
20install/01_zpsa4e2d833.jpg.html'>01_zpsa4e2d833.jpg

Showing off like a proud papa. biggrin.png
02_zps178ef7e2.jpg

A pic of the ride they will be calling home.
03_zpsa8d8448b.jpg

I started off by mocking up the passenger side horn. To get the horn tucked up nice and high,

I cut off these bosses on the HVAC blower housing.
04_zps4d620e8e.jpg

From there I was able to whip up a bracket in CAD and have it cut out.
05_zpsf95f3e33.jpg

With the horn bracket in place I transferred the mounting hole locations onto the horn body

and get it in place.
06_zps58e3c28b.jpg

With the front side good to go, I look towards the compression driver end of the horn to add

some support. I opted to make an "L" bracket out of the supplied straps. Here I use a square

scrap of mdf as a gage to figure the short leg length of the bracket.
07_zps5e80e82c.jpg

To ensure that the bracket is properly oriented, I scribed the outline of it in it's

installed position. smile.png
08_zpse1d2b050.jpg

On the kick panel I attached a riv-nut, simplifying removal and re-installation of the horn

body.
09_zps0ce35280.jpg

Here is the passenger side horn in it's new home.
11_zpsae86126f.jpg

More on the way. smile.png

Edited by onebadmonte

The driver's side install included the removal of the parking brake assembly. Here is the bracket in place.
12_zps1b029139.jpg

Here is a close up of the transition from the horn mouth to the underside of the dash.
13_zps3bebd17f.jpg

With the mounting of the horn bodies situated, I look into hot rodding the horn bodies themselves for added performance. How about a little port and polish job? Here I round over the short side for smoother transition.
14_zpsc3a8f1d8.jpg

On the long side I knocked down some of the flashing and high spots.
15_zps21e35f1b.jpg

Here is a look in from the horn mouth. :/
16_zpsac85da83.jpg

In addition to my port and polish job I added a little sound deadener to the outside of the horn bodied just to make sure they're dead. Muahahaha! Here is the start of the process.
18_zpse556a926.jpg

I opted to do a one piece wrap for the top and a one piece wrap for the bottom half, with a seam on the side walls. To keep the seams together and from rolling up I used some HVAC tape along the seams. Here is looking at the top side of the horn.
19_zps70696443.jpg

Here is a look at the bottom side of the horn.
20_zpsa5a1fc8e.jpg

Lastly here is a pic of the horns read for their final install.
21_zps494053a2.jpg

Here is a shot of the horns in place, brackets painted.
22_zps215c7b31.jpg

Disregard the tweeters in the a-pillars, they are going away as soon as I buy some replacement a-pillar panels. While you are at it, disregard that MS8 display panel as it is being replaced by this.
23_zpsa07a60ce.jpg

smile.png

niiiiiiiiiiiice!!!! Looking good brother! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on them!

niiiiiiiiiiiice!!!! Looking good brother! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on them!

Thanks! My car audio sq tuning skillz leave a lot to be desired. :/ I'll keep you posted on whether I can make these sound as good as they look installed. :D

oh i cant wait to hear this.... and hugo  i need to talk to you about getting one of those MS8s off you if you are willing to part :D

Looking good! I'm liking the new toys!

Very nice! :)

oh i cant wait to hear this.... and hugo  i need to talk to you about getting one of those MS8s off you if you are willing to part biggrin.png

Thanks Jon. Let's see when we can meet up and play. I'm sure we can work something out. smile.png

Looking good! I'm liking the new toys!

Thanks Rick. If you knew how long I had these horns and how long it really took me to get them installed, I'd probably be getting a slap upside the head and a " 'bout damn time" comment. biggrin.png

Edited by onebadmonte

sweet im off next weekend... you have SOOO much stuff hugo its CRAZY