onebadmonte

A Suburban A Warhorse and a Pair of SMDeez

one step closer smile.png

nice living room btw !!!

One step. :) Thanks. The wife thinks it's so much nicer now with the woofers outta there. :D

no gasket + huge screws + huge box + huge subs = 2oho.gifOhYeah.gif

I'm digging the look. The box isn't all that big though. :D

Yeah i like the no gasket look myself

I was on the fence about going gasket-less for a while now. I just was sure if it was gonna look good or not. I'm glad I did it. Makes the subs look lean and cut. :P

something tells me these pics are a step or two behind knowing hugo............ so with that said.. .how does it sound?

i see some new additions to the H/T due tell biggrin.png

You're right Jon. My organization skillz are a mess. As I work I take a ton of pictures. At the end of a couple days of progress I go through the pics, delete the bad ones and sort the pics out into stages of work. From there I write a little something up and post what I have. Mind you all this when I actually get something done. There have been times where I haven't been able to work on the project for one reason or the other, but I've still been able to post a stage or two of progress. :)

As for the sound I'm just not there yet. Very very close, but not there yet. :D

As for the new toys, good eye Jon. The horns I had told you about for my big ass compression drivers finally came it. For those of you wondering these are Autotech 350-Tratrix horns. Hand laid fiberglass horns made in Poland with a cutoff frequency of, you guessed it, 350Hz. The compression drivers are Electro Voice DH-1A. With the horns in, and once the suburban is done, I'll start working on the mid-bass horns. Especially, now that I've fine tuned my wood skills. :P For the mid-bass horns I'll be using a pair of Electro Voice EVM15L woofers, but all that is for another build. Now back to the topic at hand. :D

Stunning.

Thank you. :D

???? Drawing up a little writers block. biggrin.png Well, I was off the grid for a couple of days. I'm back now, trying to get things rolling. smile.png I last left off with the box done with the subs in place. Before the box can go in the amp power cables will need to be replaced. The new box is a few whiskers bigger than the old box hence why the power cables need replacing. How about some pics? I started off by laying out, highlighted in white, the size and location of the new cutout.

DSC04461.jpg

Here the floor insulation has been cut to size to show how much of the floor needs to be cut.

DSC04463.jpg

A little jig saw action to cut the sheet metal.

DSC04464.jpg

Another fine opportunity. The floor sheetmetal is spot welded to a vertical panel on the underside of the Suburban.

DSC04465.jpg

At this point the vertical panel is gonna need to come out as well. This is so the cables have enough clearance to loop around the bottom panel and come up and through the floor. This time around I did not have a fancy tool to cut out the vertical panel. I went old school with some tin snip a hacksaw blade and the ever impressive mini sledge and chisle.

DSC04467.jpg

The carnage afterwards.

DSC04475.jpg

With the sheet metal out of the way. I used some of my fancy cable holders to route the power cables. The cable holders will also keep the cables from rubbing on the sheet metal.

DSC04486.jpg

This shot is looking down through the floor at the cables.

DSC04538.jpg

This shot is looking from the ground up at the cables before the batteries are in place. Alot of cable snaking around going on here. tongue.png

DSC04541.jpg

With the cable opening all figured out the batteries can go back in. Here is a little action shot of the batteries going back in.

DSC04605.jpg

The new cables in place waiting for the new floor cover.

DSC04606.jpg

and here is the cable cover in place. The silicon job is a little messy on this one. biggrin.png

DSC04609.jpg

Another shot of the finished cable job. Think, box going in place for the next update or the quickest way to get a hernia. biggrin.png

DSC04613.jpg

Someone asked what paint I used for the box. Here it is. I used two coats about an hour apart. On the port and port brace bevels I put a thin coat of wood glue to keep the wood from absorbing too much paint and swealling up.

DSC04645.jpg

smile.png

looking goo! What are some of your personal goals with this setup?

Awesome. What fuse holders are they?

They look like the ones parts express carries.

Awesome build!

HOLY SHIT!! I can't believe that I haven't noticed this thread. Amazing work man, your hard work definitely shows! :woot:

Lookin good buddy! When do I get to hear it?

looking goo! What are some of your personal goals with this setup?

Thanks bro. At this point my only goal is to get the thing done. :P When I first started the project the goal was to be able to have some sweet sweet SQ. Hence the front stage and the MS8. And to be able to break the 150's on the TL/SPL Labs Meter. The SQ part was pretty easy, it's the breaking 150 that's kicking my ass. The box is tuned low, 28Hz-ish, versus what the cabin resonates at, which is around 44Hz. Then to top it off the cabin volume is around 240cuft. So I've got my work cut out for me. :D

Awesome. What fuse holders are they?

The fuse holders are from Scosche. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-EWFH-Single-Fuse-Holder/dp/B000KIR8M0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336487598&sr=8-2

They look like the ones parts express carries.

Awesome build!

Thanks. Getting closer and closer everyday. :)

HOLY SHIT!! I can't believe that I haven't noticed this thread. Amazing work man, your hard work definitely shows! woot.gif

Hey man, where've you been. I've been waiting for you to drop by and say hello. Glad you're liking the build. :) Now where's my Chico's? :D

Lookin good buddy! When do I get to hear it?

Thanks bro.You know me, just trying to keep up with the Joneses, or in my case the Meads, with No E. :) As for taking a listen, I give up on saying this weekend. I'm gonna just put it a month out. Maybe I can make it to the June Heatwave Show in Houston. Will you be there?

Are your mids in an enclosure? Or IB? For the front stage.

Very nice attention to detail.

Are your mids in an enclosure? Or IB? For the front stage.

IB for the front stage.

Very nice attention to detail.

Thanks, with out the details it's nothing. :D

With the batteries up in place it was time to connect the cables from the alternators to the battery bank. In getting ready to make the connections I was stopped in my tracks. The fuse panel thingie that I made to go inbetween the alternators and batteries was in bad shape. Here are a couple of pics of the item and location in question.

The fuse holder panel.

DSC03614.jpg

Fuse holder panel in position.

DSC03617.jpg

Here is said part after a year. sad.png

DSC04634.jpg

I think what really did this part in is for Christmas I drove the Suburban to El Paso. It was a freezing drive, I-10 was salted to keep the ice to a minimum. Here are some more pics of what I had to work with.

DSC04635.jpg

The backside.

DSC04636.jpg

I used a wire cup on the drill press to knock off the lose paint and rust. I followed up with a scotch brite pad to get into the corners. Lastly I followed up with some metal conditioner to neutalize the rust and prep the bare metal for paint. Here is what I used.

DSC04641.jpg

Here is the part in my quick drying contraption. biggrin.png

DSC04640.jpg

This is what the part looked like before painting.

DSC04643.jpg

A close up of the neutralized rust, well sort of. There is still a little bit of rust red in there. When properly done all of the rust should be a black color. Another treatment would have gotten all done right.

DSC04644.jpg

My quick drying contraption in action again getting the job done with the fuse holder panel painted.

DSC04655.jpg

The finished part, ready for installation.

DSC04657.jpg

DOUBLE UPDATE!!!!!!!

A little something extra for tonight. smile.png Some of you know, some don't, but the front stage was being powered by a Crescendo 1000c4. I sold it. Now here is what's taking it's place.

DSC04649.jpg

Yes sir, today we merge the old school with the modern era. A US Acoustics USB-2080 (2x80) for the components, and a US Acoustics USB-2150 (2x150) for the mid-bass.

DSC04647.jpg

One last pic at a funny angle to make you tilt you head to the side as you look at it. tongue.png

DSC04651.jpg

The end is near. smile.png

won't be long now trink40.gif

:)

Nice update.....oldschool FTW!!

THREAD RESURRECT!

Ha, ha. I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off lately. I've made a bit of progress on my system, I just haven't had the chance to put my pics and words together for a proper presentation. :P

Here we go. I wanted to take a little bit of time to make some improvements. Make things a bit easier in the disassembly and re-assembly department. We'll start off with the alternator bracket. The biggest pain in the ass is when tightening the outer most alternator nut and bolt. To remedy this I welded a threaded insert to the backside of the bracket. In this pic, the red circle is the area in question. On the right side is the insert to be welded.

DSC04548.jpg

To center the insert I used some foil paper to center a bolt threaded into the insert.

DSC04551.jpg

Here is the welded insert.

DSC04554.jpg

The final product.

DSC04556.jpg

Another area I improved on is the receiver hitch area. It's a bolt in piece, that has to come out when the battery rack has to come out. The pain about it is that it's a two person job that I'm always doing alone with a floor jack and a pair of ratchets. The only way to eliminate the floor jack is if I bulk up, which ain't gonna happen any time soon. :P The next best thing is to eliminate at least one ratchet. To do that I welded some bolts to a stip of 1/8" steel.

DSC04460.jpg

Here is the new part installed.

DSC04714.jpg

Looking up at the receiver hitch mount.

DSC04724.jpg

The receiver hitch installed.

DSC04722.jpg

More on the way. :)

Looks great, I bet it sounds good tuned low as well!!

Yay for updates! This was a fun day. First a big thanks to my buddy Rick for coming over early in the morning just to help me load this monster up.

No amp on the box, just too much weight. O_o

DSC04615.jpg

Amp installed.

DSC04620.jpg

A little bit of the wiring. :)

DSC04622.jpg

A couple of install picks.

DSC04626.jpg

DSC04628.jpg

DSC04629.jpg

Barely enough room to shut the barn doors. :D

DSC04630.jpg

Looking over the drivers shoulder. Finally, some subs in view. :)

DSC04632.jpg

Up next some the smoke test. O_o

holy SHIT!

I would move in to be your apprentice dude! and maybe fall in love and adopt Asian babies with you...

***(if you fix up my car that is)....

I would move in to be your apprentice dude! and maybe fall in love and adopt Asian babies with you...

***(if you fix up my car that is)....

You had me at "asian babies" :P

I would like to extend an e-high-five for the US Acoustics amps hiding under the seats. Favorite part of your install. ;)

clean and seamless great job buddy!