onebadmonte

A Suburban A Warhorse and a Pair of SMDeez

Sad scumbags are allowed to live. Sorry for your loss. :(

Sadd... Good thing they weren't the huge items... Good luck and at least you didn't catch them in the act, lords knows it could've been worse....

My heard too like, bursted in tears, so sad man sad.png

Y u no haz alarm?!!!!!!

Though that woudn't have stoped them,but you never know.

Yup it sux.

No alarm. I had a really bad experience with one. No excuse though, I should've had one. sad.png

My first decent setup had got broken into, I made it a priority to invest into my security. My current alarm is fully loaded. Viper 5904 with about 10 additional sensors/horns. If you do get one, I suggest getting it installed at a bay, price wise, you will get raped, but it will be warrantied. Also, if you don't want to spend money on a thousand sensors, I would highly recommend at least getting a proximity sensor. Just my .02

Sorry to hear man. It sucks to put hard work into a build for it to be jacked.

It does suck. :( Just got to figure out how to shake this feeling and start rebuilding.

Sad scumbags are allowed to live. Sorry for your loss. sad.png

:( Not much to say regarding those dirtbags. Thanks though.

Sadd... Good thing they weren't the huge items... Good luck and at least you didn't catch them in the act, lords knows it could've been worse....

They wouldn't have stood a chance trying to take the sub box or the amp off the box. I don't even want to think of what things would have been like if I had caught them in the act. :P

My first decent setup had got broken into, I made it a priority to invest into my security. My current alarm is fully loaded. Viper 5904 with about 10 additional sensors/horns. If you do get one, I suggest getting it installed at a bay, price wise, you will get raped, but it will be warrantied. Also, if you don't want to spend money on a thousand sensors, I would highly recommend at least getting a proximity sensor. Just my .02

Definitely gonna be doing some sort of alarm, or at least train a black widow to handle security duties inside the suburban while I'm out. :D

wtf

Shit sucks man. Are your windows tinted, since you dont have it up and they seemed to know whay they wanted or where going for (it might be someone you know). Or even possible someone who seen your build on a forum you posted it on, its sad to say but our build logs are walking advertisements for thieves.

Edited by jay-cee

Man this sucks to hear. Only thing I would consider if you take it to a shop to get an alarm installed, is put a different address on the paperwork. I wouldn't want one of them installing the alarm, then coming to your house a week later...

Maybe I'm paranoid, but with all that investment...

its sad to say but our build logs are walking advertisements for thieves.

X2

Thanks for all the kind words and support fellas. I really appreciate it. With that said, time to move on.

I was lucky enough to save the single din install kit the suburban came with. smile.png The 9887 was/is for a future project. tongue.png All I needed to buy was the chime adapter, which came with an adapter harness. smile.png

DSC04899.jpg

Here is the harness ready for install. I took out the pins that wouldn't be used, just to keep things simple and clean. Another thing I did was keep track of the connector pin out in their respective manuals. This is just in case I need it for reference or is the items are later sold. biggrin.png

DSC04904.jpg

This is the area of the dash face trim piece that got booger-ed up. :\

DSC04906.jpg

With a little head gun action I was able to massage the plastic getting it close to it's original shape. :\

DSC04907.jpg

Here is a shot of everything the geniuses left behind when taking the sat/nav unit. Idiots. tongue.png Good luck to who ever thinks they're getting an Alpine Sat/Nav unit on the cheap. biggrin.png

DSC04909.jpg

Since the RCAs got torn up I opted just to replace them. This required the front seats to come out.

DSC04910.jpg

With a little time to burn I decided to shorten the new RCAs, since they are about 10ft too long. Here is a comparison shot of how long the cables are versus how long they need to be.

DSC04913.jpg

These are the cables I'm using. Also pictured is the amount of cable on the original set that was coiled up underneath the front seat carpet. biggrin.png

DSC04912.jpg

Measure twice cut once. smile.png A quick measurement to make sure I've got enough wire to feed through the wire pants.

DSC04915.jpg

To pull the wires through the pants I soldered some extra wire already in the pants.

DSC04918.jpg

With a little patients and a little persuasion I got the wires through. smile.png

DSC04919.jpg

The ends soldered on waiting for a little shrink tubing for added protection.

DSC04920.jpg

With the RCAs run, I got the harness in place. A couple of zip ties keeping things together.

DSC04925.jpg

New radio installed. Woot, woot. smile.png

DSC04926.jpg

A little action shot of the head unit powering up.

DSC04937.jpg

Sanzzy. biggrin.png A little over kill since I'm running the MS-8 but as the ol' saying goes, "Use what cha got."

More to come. smile.png

i like that head unit... i wanted that same one,

looking good hugo.

cant hold you down no sir!

Nice update! Keep it up! And buy a damn alarm hugo!

nice update man!!!

Y u no haz alarm?!!!!!!

Yup it sux.

No alarm. I had a really bad experience with one. No excuse though, I should've had one. sad.png

Man I'm SO sorry. I'm also rolling around without a nice alarm due to a very bad experience. Sadly it is the only thing that I don't feel comfortable doing myself. The equipment being stolen sucks but seeing the holes in your seat makes my blood boil.....WHY!

Keep up the great work, this is in my top 10 have to hear systems.

i like that head unit... i wanted that same one,

looking good hugo.

cant hold you down no sir!

That's right brother. Gotta comeback swinging. :P

It's a nice headunit, bummer I have to use it here. Thanks. :)

Nice update! Keep it up! And buy a damn alarm hugo!

Ha, ha. Thanks. I know, I know. :P

nice update man!!!

:) I appreciate that. Thanks.

Y u no haz alarm?!!!!!!

Yup it sux.

Man I'm SO sorry. I'm also rolling around without a nice alarm due to a very bad experience. Sadly it is the only thing that I don't feel comfortable doing myself. The equipment being stolen sucks but seeing the holes in your seat makes my blood boil.....WHY!

Keep up the great work, this is in my top 10 have to hear systems.

Alarms, as much as I hate them, they get the job done. They're not 100%, but obviously better than nothing. :

Thanks for the kind words. How about some day we meet half way in El Paso and I give you a demo. :P

My Suburban has what Chevy calls a remote actuated key-less entry system. Nothing fancy when you first think about it, but when you really study it, there are some real benefits to be had. The system employs keyed tumblers in only the drivers side door handle and the rear barn door handle.

As my first step towards theft deterrent, I'll be converting my SUV to a true key-less entry system. To do this, I'll be replacing the broken, drivers side door handle with a rear drivers side door handle, which does not have a key tumbler. I'll also be replacing the rear barn door handle with a similar handle without a key tumbler.

Here are the handles. One drivers side handle and one passenger side handle for the rear barn door.

DSC04939.jpg

A quick comparison shot of the original drivers side door handle with the replacement door handle with no key tumbler.

DSC04940.jpg

Here I compare the original drivers side handle, top, with the replacement handle. As you can see the mechanism that triggers the latch mechanism is different between the two handles. I'll be swapping the original mechanism over to the new handle. A keen eye will also see the handle mounting provision nearest to the latch mechanism is different. Looking at the sheet metal on the door a notch will be required to clear the stud. The flanged nut that mounts the handle will still have enough bite to secure the handle properly.

DSC04941.jpg

Here is a close up of the original latch mechanism transplanted on to the new replacement handle. A couple of flat washers and one lock washer were used as spacers in between the standoffs on one side.

DSC04943.jpg

Here is the new, key-less handle installed.

DSC04945.jpg

Now all four entry doors are key-less entry doors. Only way to unlock the door without the remote now is to break a window.

Now on to the rear barn door.

I originally imagined using a key-less passenger side door handle for the rear barn door. Upon dis-assembly I discovered that the rear barn door handle is of a completely unique design that would require significant customization to obtain the look of the other four handles. Eff that, time for plan B.

I completely removed the key tumbler from the handle. I replaced the tumbler with a modified carriage bolt. By modified I mean I faced the dome flat on the carriage bolt. Here is a pic.

DSC04946.jpg

Like all carriage bolts, I secured this one with a nut, lock washer, and a flat washer. The bolt was cut down after the pic was taken. tongue.png

DSC04950.jpg

In the end I painted the carriage bolt head. Here is a pic of the final install of the rear barn door handle.

DSC04951.jpg

smile.png

you are a wizard hugo!....

looks good man. very good idea to keep your stuff safe.

you are a wizard hugo!....

Oh no, a big thanks goes to fellow member Crunkjuice1 for pointing me in this direction. I just did the labor. :D

looks good man. very good idea to keep your stuff safe.

It's just a small deterrent, but hopefully just enough to make anybody thinking about breaking in, scratch their heads and move on. :)

I always feel the need for MOAR updates! :P

Hehe.. "shaved" keyholes.

Edited by CHEVY4X4BLAZER

DSC04955.jpg

So I got some stuff out of the garage and started the re-installation of the amps, with a little spruce up on the side. smile.png Here is a little action pic.

DSC04954.jpg

And with a little time and effort the new/old amps were in.

DSC04958.jpg

DSC04961.jpg

Here is a tall and slender shot for those into them tall and slender. biggrin.png

DSC04963.jpg

Tall and slender upside down for the kinky. tongue.png

DSC04966.jpg

Some cool blue light action

DSC04968.jpg

DSC04970.jpg

I was able to get everything in just before a little rain came in. Up next a little test and tune. smile.png Thanks for watching.

:o

Nice job dude. I missed that last update.