onebadmonte

A Suburban A Warhorse and a Pair of SMDeez

ohmy.png

I know, crazy huh? :P

Nice job dude. I missed that last update.

Thanks. Like you, I'm burning the midnight oil to make it to heatwave. Well, not really. I just screwed down an amp while you're rebuilding a wall. :P I'm gonna be thrashing on the SQ tune though. Hopefully I can pull another rabbit out of the hat for a win at heatwave. Hell, I might even put on the meter for a little burp. :D

Nice! I like the clean up!

back in action.. clean as before,

and im burning oil my self... my shit will be VERY LAST MIN....VERY

Wire braiding/sleeving adds a nice touch :phatyo:

Nice! I like the clean up!

Thanks. It was looking a little busy with all those wires, kind of distracting. I happy with it now. :)

back in action.. clean as before,

and im burning oil my self... my shit will be VERY LAST MIN....VERY

Yes sir. Hope you get everything you need to get the job done. If you need some extra help let me know. :)

Wire braiding/sleeving adds a nice touch phatyo.gif

Thanks, but not only a nice touch, it's also the little extra that the judges look for when competing in ModSQ. Got to do everything I can. Competition can get stiff at times. :D

Well, lets face it, this project is never gonna be done. biggrin.png Here is a little something I have envisioned doing for a long time, and now the time has arrived.

DSC04972.jpg

Yes'um. A plexi amp cover. I know. Been there, done that. I promise you, this will be cool. tongue.png

DSC04973.jpg

For those wondering, this is the blade I used. It worked well, no messy chips to clean up. It did get a bit hot though. O_o

DSC04974.jpg

A couple more details cut out and a couple of holes drilled.

DSC04975.jpg

After quite a bit of sanding, filing and a gallon of sweat later, this.

DSC04977.jpg

And this.

DSC04979.jpg

One in the dark.

DSC04980.jpg

And a close up to prove that there is plexi-glass on the amp. biggrin.png

DSC04982.jpg

My favorite shot. smile.png

DSC04985.jpg

Tanks for looking. biggrin.png

Whats next!

BADASS !!!

LOVE the plexi cover on the amp !!! :D

All amps should come with plexi covers lol

Whats next!

Time to sell it all and start over, bigger and badder. Muahahahaha! J/K! I think I'll actually start listening to the thing I guess. :P

BADASS !!!

LOVE the plexi cover on the amp !!! biggrin.png

All amps should come with plexi covers lol

Thanks, I second the motion, all amps should come with plexi covers, oLo? o_O

Pure sexy.

very sexy! I love you note!

looks great hugo!

where'd you get the roll of braided flex?

very sexy! I love you note!

Ha, ha, thanks. I didn't get the note. :P

looks great hugo!

where'd you get the roll of braided flex?

Thanks, I picked it up from work. We use it on the wiring harness on some of the kits we sell. I know Parts Express sells the same stuff. The name brand is Techflex.

Well, what can I say, today I take a step towards a simpler life. Out are the ways of extravagant multi-way setups and complex mix of passive and active crossover networks. In, a simple, 2-way active front stage setup. How can this be, you say. Simple, my home setup is a simple 2 way setup and is just a treat to listen to. On top of that I'm taking in some of the pointers I got while at the Heatwave show. First the tweeters, and what a better way to step things up than with budget oriented tweeters. tongue.png

DSC05103.jpg

DSC05104.jpg

With a little help from my jasper jig, a hole saw and a drill I came up with these.

DSC05105.jpg

A little wood filler, sanding and a little patients, this.

DSC05121.jpg

A little mock-up action. Dang it, this would have been a perfect chance to do that Star-Trek hand gesture. Oh well, next time. tongue.png

DSC05127.jpg

Here is the little puck mounted on the a-pillar panel. Hard wiring tweeters for the win! Hope this doesn't come back to haunt me. O_o

DSC05132.jpg

I wasn't sure how much wire I was going to need, so I used alot. biggrin.png

DSC05130.jpg

The tweeter pucks are in. A shot from the 2nd row.

DSC05136.jpg

From the passengers seat looking at the passenger side tweeter.

DSC05144.jpg

From the passengers seat looking at the drivers side tweeter.

DSC05141.jpg

From the drivers seat looking at the drivers side tweeter.

DSC05142.jpg

From the drivers seat looking at the passenger side tweeter.

DSC05143.jpg

The ppi components and kick panels are gone now. The tweeters are powered off the US Acoustics USB-2080, and are high passed at 1500Hz 24db/oct. For mids I'm using the Mpyre Audio 6-1/2's in the doors from 1500Hz down to 63Hz. The subs take over from 63Hz down to 25hz.

The sound is good. I'm surprised the tweeters are okay playing this low. Granted they don't get ear piercing loud, but they do get loud enough. I'll be honest the subs overpower everything, but at moderate listening levels everything blends in well. The staging is now up high eye level. Before the highest the staging would get would be level with the radio. The centering is still questionable. Some times it sounds centered other times it pans towards the drivers side. Not much control over that with the MS-8. I'm not sure I want to go for the center channel dance. I might have to though. The mid-bass is a little lacking. I had to do quite a bit of eq to get it back, a ridiculous amount to be honest. For now it works. I think the next step is sealing up the doors and adding some deadener. biggrin.png

looks good, and your home audio sure is nice to listen too me and dani still talk about it every day, very nice,

Very nice buddy.

looking good!!!

I really need to leave you my Camaro in the off season with a good budget and let you do what you do.

Looking good as always sir :)

looks good, and your home audio sure is nice to listen too me and dani still talk about it every day, very nice,

Thanks. If I could get the front stage in the suburban to sound like my home setup I'd be golden. :D I need you guys to come over for a movie night some time. :) Just to sit back and relax.

looking good!!!

Thanks. :)

I really need to leave you my Camaro in the off season with a good budget and let you do what you do.

That would be awesome, and it'd give me a chance to hone in my fiber glassing skills. CadillacMatt has been coming over every once and a while. I sure he wouldn't mind giving some glassing tips, with all the experience he has. Let me know when your ready. :)

Looking good as always sir smile.png

Awesome, thanks bro, but nothing I ever do will ever look as good as the hottie in your avatar. :P

Don't tempt me. I'll be working in satx next week.

But for real, maybe after or before import face off in December.

Tweeters look nice !

I like what you did to install them! You got serious skills.

I'm surprised to see the tweets firing through the windshield, not on axis ( to your ears). But if it sounds good like that, it sounds good !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tweeters look nice !

I like what you did to install them! You got serious skills.

I'm surprised to see the tweets firing through the windshield, not on axis ( to your ears). But if it sounds good like that, it sounds good !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, but I don't know about my skills being serious. I consider them more laid back and easy going. :P

As for the tweeter orientation. I went with this orientation after hearing a couple of cars at a recent sq show doing the same thing. I wasn't sure if this setup would work well with the MS-8's auto tune. For the most part it sounds good. The imaging is better than with the kick panel setup. I've still got some more tuning to do. For such a simple upgrade I am happy with it. :)

THREAD RESURRECT! Back from the hollow depths of the SSA "Build Log" section. tongue.png The suburban has been trucking along. Been to a couple of shows here and there. There have been a couple of tweaks to the EQ and adjustments of the gain knobs here and there. I am confident in saying it's a good sounding system. It plays loud as fhawk, to the point of headache inducing. Yeah, yeah, I'm a sissy, so what. tongue.png The sound quality is equally as impressive. The MS8 has been more than a hand full to deal with, but I am very pleased with what I have been able to finagle out of it. With out a center channel I've had to default to the L-R balance to persuade a center image. A bit counter-intuitive, but I've had to balance towards the left side. :/ No biggie. As for stage height, with the tweeters at ear level, the sound is as high as the dash. Enough blah, blah, blah. Here is a vid I posted in another section for those looking for numbers.

Not bad, not bad, but what about the SQ? Well, I while back I got a new toy to measure frequency response. It's a little choppy, but here it is.

suburbanfreqresp1_zpseb2081d5.jpg

What's next?

Pretty sweet buddy. Awsome build all around.