fishmonger

Crossover Placement

My car is a 2010 Mustang convertible and has little room for anything.Would there be any issues with putting the crossovers next to the amp? They are big, 6"x41/2" x2". I know it would entail running more wire but I have a large roll. I have a thing for the Zed Leviathan and I think they would look good next to it.

I've got my Xovers right next to my amp. No problems at all. Like you said, it's just running more wires.

Thanks for the welcome. I am also hoping to install a bit of bump in the stock subwoofer spot in the doors. I just can't decide if I should try to improve on the stock chamber or just cut it off and seal the door and use the door as my box.

I have my passive crossovers installed on the kick pannels near the components ...

I would keep the xovers as close to the speakesrs as you can get because a change in impedance will change the xover points.

I would keep the xovers as close to the speakesrs as you can get because a change in impedance will change the xover points.

Don't confuse impedance and resistance. Either way, 15' of wire will not have enough resistance to cause a dire effect. In particular if it is sized appropriately.

Don't confuse impedance and resistance. Either way, 15' of wire will not have enough resistance to cause a dire effect. In particular if it is sized appropriately.

i'm using 12ga. wire so resistance, I don't think will be an issue. No room in the car is an issue. I was going to put them in the kick panels but both sides have little black boxes in them hogging all the space.

Yikes, 12ga is HUGE for that. You can go WAY smaller. Save your dough...

Yikes, 12ga is HUGE for that. You can go WAY smaller. Save your dough...

Free wire, 150 feet of it

You won't see any difference if you mount them by the amps. I'm not sure what you mean by stock subwoofer location in your door?

You won't see any difference if you mount them by the amps. I'm not sure what you mean by stock subwoofer location in your door?

The Ford Shaker audio system is setup with 6x8 speakers in the upper part of the door and an 8 inch subwoofer in the lower section. The sub in the lower portion of the door has a chamber of molded plastic that is attached to the door panel.

Ya 12 gauge is prety big for your front stage. I have always used 15 gauge in my install and it works great.

I don't know what speakers you are running or how many, but if you are running a leviathan, why run passive crossovers at all?

I don't know what speakers you are running or how many, but if you are running a leviathan, why run passive crossovers at all?

This is the first time I have done something other than just change the head unit.I think I should explain my goals, but first some background. I build and repair CNC machines for a living. I can read a wiring diagram and have gotten pretty good with a soldering gun. My goal is to make my music sound decent when I rolling with the top down. As to the question why run passive, it is because of the hassles of setup. I am going to keep the stock head unit for a lot of reasons, Microsoft Sync, and the issues involved with retrofitting or adapting the climate controls, heated seats, and all the other buttons on the console. I have done a lot of reading on what I should use but I find it comes down to what I like and install issues. I also like having four speaker sound. The Leviathan with six channels handles four speaker sound and a bit of bump. It's size is perfect for my small trunk. I have looked hard at where I could put a sub, under the rear seat, gas tank is in the way. Where the rear speakers are mounted, the convertible top controls and linkages take up most of that space. In the trunk, with the top down it sounds like a blanket was thrown over it. I tried it with my home theater sub on a long extension cord. So, that leaves the doors. At the moment the stock speakers with the exception of the 8" subs are still in the car. I replaced the subs with Dayton audio NS210-44 low profile subs because they fit and the stock units sounded like someone was beating on an empty 55 gal. drum I have a set of HI-VI D620 components I will use, lots of wire,a David Navone line level converter, and Monday I will order the Leviathan. The more I think about it, I think I will see how much I can modify the stock sub enclosure. It is a plastic thing about .5 cft. enclosure attached to the door panel. I still haven't figured out what I will use for back seat speakers yet, I haven't had time to take things apart for measurements.

I'm not trying to push you either way, but you can still do what you want to do and subtract non-needed parts from your system (High pass your tweeters/low pass your woofer via the amp). Good luck w/ the build.

:WELCOME:

I would press for active with that amp. The built in crossovers are very nice. I just finished an install with that amp, 2 way front stage with a substage, all active. Additionally, it will give you much more control of you individual driver levels.

If you aren't going active, I would save the money and buy the 4 channel instead....

However if you do stick with passives and place the passive crossover near the amp, keep it away from the power wire. The inductors in the crossover can pick up induced noise from the power wire if the proximity is too close. Several inches is probably fine, just don't have the power wire running directly on top of or next to them as a precaution to avoid potential issues..

I bought the Leviathan. I will try going active, if it is too much hassle or I don't like the way it sounds I can add the passive crossovers.