J2phat4u

BL or Q

Which of the 2 subs you think plays the lowest???

depends on the box

The Q. It has the necessary coil length.

Doesn't matter if you are comparing the two you want the BL.

+ 1

Lol this is truer than most are willing to admit.

I don't think people get Q's because they play lower. People get Q's for accuracy.

I don't think people get Q's because they play lower. People get Q's for accuracy.

No, people get the Q's because they think that they want SQ but they don't understand what that means.

No, people get the Q's because they think that they want SQ but they don't understand what that means.

Hey, when you have a sub that is as capable (as far as volume) as the Q is...once you get in your hands and mess with it a little you can't help but turn that knob to the right....Or maybe that's just me, but I know I'm not looking for what the Q offers.

At the same time, how do you know if "SQ" is what you want without taking a blind shot into it at first? (that is, assuming you don't have an awesome SQ vehicle to listen to first). Personally, sound is one of the hardest things for me to imagine until I'm listening to it and can point out what I like and don't like. If I tried to imagine the "perfect" sub/front stage I'm not sure what exactly I would be imagining since sound is so relative/subjective. It would have to sound like something I've heard before because that's all I can imagine.

It's pretty simple. Most people think SQ means sounds good....but they are wrong. In particular in the world of subs. Everything is a trade-off. You either get a peaky frequency response or smooth. Peaky is loud, smooth is not. SQ is smooth.

This is exactly why the "term" SQ isn't allowed on the board. This misconception is horrible and I hate it. And believe me it's more than 95% of Q buyers that are confused and should be in a BL. It's very obvious from their posts. Luckily for them though they don't get to do apples to apples comparisons so they never know they chose wrong.

most people are not even 100% sure what "low" means... they think they do.. but most times they do not.

the BL is a all around GREAT first sub for someone coming over to the underground sub side for the first time,

it handles abuse like a champ. and plays hard and low enough for the novelist bass head.

install in the correct box, and powered correctly it will stop all over your loudest friends run of the mill name brand subs.

It's pretty simple. Most people think SQ means sounds good....but they are wrong. In particular in the world of subs. Everything is a trade-off. You either get a peaky frequency response or smooth. Peaky is loud, smooth is not. SQ is smooth.

This is exactly why the "term" SQ isn't allowed on the board. This misconception is horrible and I hate it. And believe me it's more than 95% of Q buyers that are confused and should be in a BL. It's very obvious from their posts. Luckily for them though they don't get to do apples to apples comparisons so they never know they chose wrong.

I haz sq cause you can hear the highs over the loud bass!

I hate threads like this that make me double think...

Again, I'll make this VERY simple. If you are double thinking then a Q is not for you. Buy the BL.

Whats interesting is that I notice a ton of people on here that just dont seem to think the Q gets loud, or that just because someone wants to get loud they shouldn't buy the Q. I was in the same boat trying to decide my last sub choice. But against what several people said on here I went with the Q and was very happy I did. I went in wanting very clean hard hitting lows and that exactly what the Q does. I was tuned at 29hz and the sub was a monster under 42 or so hz peaking at 30hz (in my truck, my box, etc) Matter of fact on the meter my setup was within 2 decibels from 28hz all the way to 40hz,very flat. If SPL or competing was my main concern the Q would not be my choice.

I know someone local with 2 18in BL's and he went from the Q because of similar suggestions and even he said the Q was much better on the lows. I will say that the BL's seem more peaky to me and not the sound I am looking for. Hence why I just ordered two new 18in Q's. And yes I have heard alot of different setups. I have a picky ear and the Q fits my needs.

Summary from my experience if like the mainstream rap and want the 40hz range peakier output, or want to bang on your buddy, etc.etc then get the BL.

If you are not constantly on full tilt, like a very balanced sub that gets very low with authority then consider a Q.

Neither will matter if the enclosure isn't up to par

Whats interesting is that I notice a ton of people on here that just dont seem to think the Q gets loud, or that just because someone wants to get loud they shouldn't buy the Q. I was in the same boat trying to decide my last sub choice. But against what several people said on here I went with the Q and was very happy I did. I went in wanting very clean hard hitting lows and that exactly what the Q does. I was tuned at 29hz and the sub was a monster under 42 or so hz peaking at 30hz (in my truck, my box, etc) Matter of fact on the meter my setup was within 2 decibels from 28hz all the way to 40hz,very flat. If SPL or competing was my main concern the Q would not be my choice.

I know someone local with 2 18in BL's and he went from the Q because of similar suggestions and even he said the Q was much better on the lows. I will say that the BL's seem more peaky to me and not the sound I am looking for. Hence why I just ordered two new 18in Q's. And yes I have heard alot of different setups. I have a picky ear and the Q fits my needs.

Summary from my experience if like the mainstream rap and want the 40hz range peakier output, or want to bang on your buddy, etc.etc then get the BL.

If you are not constantly on full tilt, like a very balanced sub that gets very low with authority then consider a Q.

Neither will matter if the enclosure isn't up to par

Exactly what I was thinking.... Ive owned a BL 18 and I know that the Q is the right choice for me... Thread seems pretty bias imo...

no one said the Q does not or can not get loud.. your taking peoples advice about the two choices the wrong way......

the Q is a GREAT sub.. but is BEST used in BETTER hands ,... the educated hands. the skilled hands of someone with experience

the Q DOES get lower... and its common knowledge .... no doubt about it.... but it does not normally suit someone that does not have the experience

9 of of 10 times.. if a inexperienced user gets the Q , it will be damaged, or not used to its extent

no one said the Q does not or can not get loud.. your taking peoples advice about the two choices the wrong way......

the Q is a GREAT sub.. but is BEST used in BETTER hands ,... the educated hands. the skilled hands of someone with experience

the Q DOES get lower... and its common knowledge .... no doubt about it.... but it does not normally suit someone that does not have the experience

9 of of 10 times.. if a inexperienced user gets the Q , it will be damaged, or not used to its extent

I would agree with this.

It just seems if people ask the answer is always "get the BL" and in my case I would have chosen the wrong sub.

I would agree with this.

It just seems if people ask the answer is always "get the BL" and in my case I would have chosen the wrong sub.

That is because for people who have to ask, the bl is a better option.

I would agree with this.

That is because for people who have to ask, the bl is a better option.

There is nothing wrong with people asking questions, I try to get reviews and ask questions about most things I purchase before hand. Especially something online that I cant physically compare with my own eyes (or ears)

A Q will have more output to the ear on the lower freq notes than the BL. The BL will have more output in the normal and higher range than the Q. If the owner is gonna tune or shoot for the 25-30hz range the Q is probably gonna make them happier, if they are gonna tune the box to 32-38 hz then the BL would be the better choice.

That seems like a better answer to someone considering the two than the non helpful high and mighty answer of "if you have to ask then the BL is what you want"

Just curious but Rick, what size Q did you have and what was your opinion of it?

Your comparisons were biased to the results you wanted. Did you compare them in boxes geared towards doing the same thing? I know it's a rhetorical question, but obviously not.

A few other misnomers, tuning to 25Hz in a car is a waste, makes no sense at all.

You are exemplifying my comment though. Of course it was the right choice for you since you have it. No use comparing things evenly. Ugh.

Your comparisons were biased to the results you wanted. Did you compare them in boxes geared towards doing the same thing? I know it's a rhetorical question, but obviously not.

A few other misnomers, tuning to 25Hz in a car is a waste, makes no sense at all.

You are exemplifying my comment though. Of course it was the right choice for you since you have it. No use comparing things evenly. Ugh.

the BL 18's that I heard were in a box tuned at 28hz, as I said in my first reply, he went from Q's and thought the exact thing I have stated. My lows from my one 15 were much cleaner and had a more rich sound than his 2 18's.

We tested Senchez's Zcon in my box, in my truck, that is tuned low at 29hz. The Q did everything the Z could do both being on my SAZ-1500, the Z "may have had a little more output in the 40+ range" barely audible if any.

then fast forward to the box I built him that was great specs for the Zcon 4.5cu tuned at 34hz. Stuck it in my truck on my SAZ1500 and yes it was very impressive and sounded great, But again from 35hz and under you couldnt tell the difference and just showed me how good the Q really is. Im sure on 2500-3500watts the output of the Zcon would have been phenomenal.

Since you have campared some many thing evenly, why dont you tell us all your Q or BL setup and how it compared to other setups in your vehicle tuned at different freq?

Just curious to hear your 1st hand experience

the BL 18's that I heard were in a box tuned at 28hz, as I said in my first reply, he went from Q's and thought the exact thing I have stated. My lows from my one 15 were much cleaner and had a more rich sound than his 2 18's.

We tested Senchez's Zcon in my box, in my truck, that is tuned low at 29hz. The Q did everything the Z could do both being on my SAZ-1500, the Z "may have had a little more output in the 40+ range" barely audible if any.

then fast forward to the box I built him that was great specs for the Zcon 4.5cu tuned at 34hz. Stuck it in my truck on my SAZ1500 and yes it was very impressive and sounded great, But again from 35hz and under you couldnt tell the difference and just showed me how good the Q really is. Im sure on 2500-3500watts the output of the Zcon would have been phenomenal.

Since you have campared some many thing evenly, why dont you tell us all your Q or BL setup and how it compared to other setups in your vehicle tuned at different freq?

Just curious to hear your 1st hand experience

The FR of each driver can be compared with the same enclosure alignment with modeling. Sure the FR for each will change in a car, due to cabin gain and interior characteristics, but I'm doubtful of the driver with a flatter response to all of a sudden become the peaky response, and vice-versa.

At least that's my thoughts. ninja.gif

Edited by stefanhinote

Way to keep your variables the same, lol. If your basing that as your comparison nothing I say will be convincing. If your happy, stay happy, it's better for all of us.

Way to keep your variables the same, lol. If your basing that as your comparison nothing I say will be convincing. If your happy, stay happy, it's better for all of us.

Nice answer to my question, lol.... have you ever even owned either driver in question??

You dont have to convience me of anything, you choose to join in on a thread started by someone asking a question and yet you dont not even remotely try to convince him or really even help.

Im sure we are all glad the "SSA Tech Team" representative is such help to us all with your smart ass short "high and mighty" answers as ALWAYS.

But I will say this and leave this thread alone. Being a successful business owner myself, nobody would be allowed to represent my company name in the way you do SSA. You honestly bring negativity to almost everything you post in, your sig is proof of your self thought holiness.

Edited by swift