naughtyca

E12d4 on BRZ 1700.1d

Hello,

can i get opinion if this set up will work. I'll be running pair of the E-12D4 at 1ohm on BRZ 1700.1D. I know the BRZ will not output 1700 @ 1ohm probably close to 1300@1ohm.

I am also trying to find how big of a magnet these E series 12" subs are.

Thank you for posting

Edited by naughtyca

1 ohm and 1 ohm gives you .5 ohm and i know hifonics are not half ohm stable how many ohms are your subs dual 2 or 4 ohms

spoiler

1 ohm and 1 ohm gives you .5 ohm and i know hifonics are not half ohm stable how many ohms are your subs dual 2 or 4 ohms

sorry for the confusion. Im running both subs 2ohm each and will end up 1ohm to the amp and the amp is 1ohm stable

He clearly states two d4 subwoofers. Amplifier will be fine. Make sure to set your amplifier correctly. No need to run more than rated power. If you want to run more step up to the SA series.

If you're talking about the Sundown E-Series, that amp will probably melt those unless you baby them. Step up to the SD or SA series and you shouldn't have any problems.

EDIT: Got ninja'd.

Edited by An-i-no

spoiler

sorry for the confusion. Im running both subs 2ohm each and will end up 1ohm to the amp and the amp is 1ohm stable

ok cool that sounds right . hifonics are CEA certified which means it should put out 1700 watts

its funny how one person comments then everyone wants to comment too lol just saying

thank you guys for posting, currently have not enough money for SA, want to try the E series to get a feel for Sundown. unfortunately i haven't personally heard Sundown (isnt that sad?) I was going to run 2 RF T1 until i found the Sundown from numerous forums.

anyways regarding cea on Hifonics, im running RF T1 @4ohm on my old Kenwood kac 7204 which is bridged at 500w@4ohm and when i switch to the BRZ 1700.1D i did notice the kenwood is more powerful at 4ohm BRZ is supposed to be 600w@4ohm, so i know they are still not rated but close which is good for me.

thank you guys for posting, currently have not enough money for SA, want to try the E series to get a feel for Sundown. unfortunately i haven't personally heard Sundown (isnt that sad?) I was going to run 2 RF T1 until i found the Sundown from numerous forums.

anyways regarding cea on Hifonics, im running RF T1 @4ohm on my old Kenwood kac 7204 which is bridged at 500w@4ohm and when i switch to the BRZ 1700.1D i did notice the kenwood is more powerful at 4ohm BRZ is supposed to be 600w@4ohm, so i know they are still not rated but close which is good for me.

Think about it this way...if you get the E's and kinda like them but want to upgrade.....you still have to save and get the SA's because the E's are simply not designed to take that power. You should just save up and get what you REALLY want in the first place, that way you don't have to worry about blowing the E's or even selling them when you decide to get new ones.

EDIT: I am also a proud owner of a pair of SA-12's, if that means anything.

Edited by An-i-no

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/53951-sundown-e-10-abuse-testing/

i think the E-12 can take it

Yeah...did you hear that knocking noise? That was the woofer bottoming out. It wasn't "taking it" it was breaking lol. Just because the sub didn't catch on fire and blow right away doesn't mean that it was "taking it." If you tried to do that all day every day I promise you the woofer wouldn't last long.

If you think it'll be fine then do it, no one here can stop you, but we're giving you 100% honest advice. The E series wasn't made to handle that power. If you try to feed it that power for more than maybe 1 or 2 minutes at a time it will break. If you play them lightly and know when to be easy on them (cuz they're about to break...) then go ahead.

Not trying to be an ass, but it's a bad idea.

Yeah...did you hear that knocking noise? That was the woofer bottoming out. It wasn't "taking it" it was breaking lol. Just because the sub didn't catch on fire and blow right away doesn't mean that it was "taking it." If you tried to do that all day every day I promise you the woofer wouldn't last long.

If you think it'll be fine then do it, no one here can stop you, but we're giving you 100% honest advice. The E series wasn't made to handle that power. If you try to feed it that power for more than maybe 1 or 2 minutes at a time it will break. If you play them lightly and know when to be easy on them (cuz they're about to break...) then go ahead.

Well said.

get the SD's

and clamp testing on all BRZ series amps have shown they don't make rated

get the SD's

and clamp testing on all BRZ series amps have shown they don't make rated

what are the SD's?

Actually I do hear that slapping and that's the sub unloaded FREE-AIR, no one runs subs Free-air especially these subs. Granted his "rated" power is more than the E series are rated to handle however, all sundown products from my experience are OVER built. I have sold and installed E/D and SA series sundown subs and they have ALL taken more power than rated easily. His amp is "rated" at 1700watts at 1ohm mono, again remember that nominal ratings are just that nominal and not what is seen during music play. Because as frequency changes so does impedance, that coupled with the efficiency of the amp I think he will be fine. As well as long as his amp gain is set properly and not just cranked to max he will be fine. Also most people crank the "bass boost" again another option to remember to leave at 0dB because it's just not efficient. Now I am by NO means an amplifier expert but Jacob has a nice topic on why you should never rely on nominal impedance ratings.

Overall he should be perfectly fine with the E series to start out even with that amplifier. http://www.hifonics.com/Hifonics_Brutus_BRZ_Amps.html Although it says CEA compliant I would really need to see a clamp test before I believe that amp does 1700watts.

Anyway the bottom line is he shoud be fine as long as the proper settings are done on the amp and the enclosure is built well.

Actually I do hear that slapping and that's the sub unloaded FREE-AIR, no one runs subs Free-air especially these subs. Granted his "rated" power is more than the E series are rated to handle however, all sundown products from my experience are OVER built. I have sold and installed E/D and SA series sundown subs and they have ALL taken more power than rated easily. His amp is "rated" at 1700watts at 1ohm mono, again remember that nominal ratings are just that nominal and not what is seen during music play. Because as frequency changes so does impedance, that coupled with the efficiency of the amp I think he will be fine. As well as long as his amp gain is set properly and not just cranked to max he will be fine. Also most people crank the "bass boost" again another option to remember to leave at 0dB because it's just not efficient. Now I am by NO means an amplifier expert but Jacob has a nice topic on why you should never rely on nominal impedance ratings.

Overall he should be perfectly fine with the E series to start out even with that amplifier. http://www.hifonics....s_BRZ_Amps.html Although it says CEA compliant I would really need to see a clamp test before I believe that amp does 1700watts.

Anyway the bottom line is he shoud be fine as long as the proper settings are done on the amp and the enclosure is built well.

My SA-12's are getting about 900w each and laughing at it. I can play them for hours and the dustcaps don't even warm up, even when my voltage starts to trail off into the high 12's and the power isn't as clean anymore. I know first hand how over built Sundown subs are.

BUTTTTT I also know giving a 4-500 watt woofer to a beginner who is trying to run them at 750+ each (granted that the amplifier provides 1300w like he said ) is a terrible idea. ESPECIALLY if he thinks that what he saw in that video was the sub "taking it" and not being murdered. I don't think he would know when to back off and to say those subs could handle that amp no problem is...well...not smart.

EDIT: Also...I think it's a HORRIBLE idea to have someone who is new rely on impedance rise to save their woofers...maybe I misunderstood if that's what you meant and I apologize if I did. If the amp does anything close to rated power for even a few moments I don't think the E's will like that at all. Especially not over months and months of being on the verge of failure.

Edited by An-i-no

Overall he should be perfectly fine with the E series to start out even with that amplifier. http://www.hifonics....s_BRZ_Amps.html Although it says CEA compliant I would really need to see a clamp test before I believe that amp does 1700watts.

My SA-12's are getting about 900w each and laughing at it. I can play them for hours and the dustcaps don't even warm up, even when my voltage starts to trail off into the high 12's and the power isn't as clean anymore. I know first hand how over built Sundown subs are.

BUTTTTT I also know giving a 4-500 watt woofer to a beginner who is trying to run them at 750+ each (granted that the amplifier provides 1300w like he said ) is a terrible idea. ESPECIALLY if he thinks that what he saw in that video was the sub "taking it" and not being murdered. I don't think he would know when to back off and to say those subs could handle that amp no problem is...well...not smart.

Thank you for calling me a beginner, do the math 1300 is actually 650 per sub these are rated at 400w and from what i've seen people over power these Sundowns

Thank you for calling me a beginner, do the math 1300 is actually 650 per sub these are rated at 400w and from what i've seen people over power these Sundowns

Haha I screwed up the math, my bad. But the point is still the same. I'm not calling you a beginner because I think you don't know what you're doing or trying to insult you if that's what you think. In my experience people who ask things like "will this woofer take x watts" don't know when their woofer is giving up. If you knew when to back off you wouldn't have to ask.

What I DON'T WANT, is for us to make him think its ok to grossly over power his woofers because "Sundown subs are beast!" or because "impedance rise will make it where the woofers won't see that much." Sundown makes good woofers. Impedance rise exists. But that doesn't mean that the woofers won't blow on that amp. I don't want you to blow your woofers...that's all?

Edited by An-i-no

Sundownz probably reading this and itching to comment,

to Sundownz: dont worry if i accidentally blow the sub i wont held you accountable and ask for a refund lol

Haha I screwed up the math, my bad. But the point is still the same. I'm not calling you a beginner because I think you don't know what you're doing or trying to insult you if that's what you think. In my experience people who ask things like "will this woofer take x watts" don't know when their woofer is giving up. If you knew when to back off you wouldn't have to ask.

What I DON'T WANT, is for us to make him think its ok to grossly over power his woofers because "Sundown subs are beast!" or because "impedance rise will make it where the woofers won't see that much." Sundown makes good woofers. Impedance rise exists. But that doesn't mean that the woofers won't blow on that amp. I don't want you to blow your woofers...that's all?

I was hoping for people who actually has the E series to reply and tell me what amp they are using and was hoping somebody is overpowering these subs.

I was hoping for people who actually has the E series to reply and tell me what amp they are using and was hoping somebody is overpowering these subs.

That hope part...Is what bothers me.I think this is a bad idea because of all the assumptions involved.

1. We're assuming that the amp doesn't make 1700w.

2. We're assuming that the E's will be in a good box.

3. We're assuming that the E's have enough cooling (and general thermal capability) to handle the unknown amount of power that the amp makes.

4. We're assuming that he knows to turn it down when and if they show warning signs (smells, bottoming out, etc)

5. I'm assuming that they'll be in a ported box and won't be played below tuning.

Now if he has all those covered, I don't think he would be asking for help. OP, all those reasons are why I would recommend the SD or SA series. They fit your amp better and you wouldn't really have to worry about them blowing because of overpowering.

The last set of E series subs I installed were a pair of 10s in a ported box tuned to 35Hz on a Crossfire BMF-1000D.

Edited by All4Spl

I agree assumption is ussually the mother of all fuckups lol.

but to give you a real life situation. I am running single RF T1d212 @ 1ohm on this amp for over 3 months now. and it has not bottomed out or smelled, my dustcap hasnt even warmed that much when i run it kinda hard from work to home 45min drive.

but i'm waiting from somebody in Sundown to reply to this thread. hopefully they will.

Thank you for all your post, i do understand your point.

The last set of E series subs I installed were a pair of 10s in a ported box tuned to 35Hz on a Crossfire BMF-1000D.

I'm not familiar with that amp but hands on experience is the best info IMO. If you think they will take the power with no problems then I would trust that you knew when too much was too much. There was too much info that was unclear to suggest that he do it though.

I agree assumption is ussually the mother of all fuckups lol.

but to give you a real life situation. I am running single RF T1d212 @ 1ohm on this amp for over 3 months now. and it has not bottomed out or smelled, my dustcap hasnt even warmed that much when i run it kinda hard from work to home 45min drive.

but i'm waiting from somebody in Sundown to reply to this thread. hopefully they will.

Thank you for all your post, i do understand your point.

Ah well then I feel more comfortable about you knowing your system. There was so much info that I felt like were just guesses which is why I said not to do it.