Sign in to follow this  
xiihustleix

Tuning Questions

alright guys i was just wondering if someone could either link me to or explain the pro's / con's of tuning higher and tuning lower? and how to figure out how enclosures should be tuned in regards to diff subs and scenarios?

thanks for any help guys!

(i ask because im not new to building enclosers, ported/tuned, just want to understand the tuning aspect better because i plan on building some enclosures locally for some friends and friends of friends - just want to make sure i make the best enclosures that i can...i need the extra money..lol)

There's no complete answer here. It's going to depend on the sub(s), vehicle, available/desired enclosure space, desired sound goal (SPL? SQ? Daily Driver?), personal preferences, etc.

I'm going to generalize here, so keep that in mind. A higher tune will generally produce louder, punchier bass, but will severely compromise low-frequency output capability (due to cancellation and the drivers unloading) whereas a lower-tune will be able to reproduce a broader range of frequencies, but generally won't be as loud in most situations and the bass generally won't be as "punchy."

Like I said in the first sentence, however, it's so situational that there's really no right or wrong answer.

There's no complete answer here. It's going to depend on the sub(s), vehicle, available/desired enclosure space, desired sound goal (SPL? SQ? Daily Driver?), personal preferences, etc.

I'm going to generalize here, so keep that in mind. A higher tune will generally produce louder, punchier bass, but will severely compromise low-frequency output capability (due to cancellation and the drivers unloading) whereas a lower-tune will be able to reproduce a broader range of frequencies, but generally won't be as loud in most situations and the bass generally won't be as "punchy."

Like I said in the first sentence, however, it's so situational that there's really no right or wrong answer.

thanks...so would it be safe to say that an enclosure with 10's you would want tuned higher and one with say an 18 you would want lower? SQ lower? SPL higher?

I like to tune from 33-38hz as that tends to be a happy medium imo for vehicles.

thanks...so would it be safe to say that an enclosure with 10's you would want tuned higher and one with say an 18 you would want lower? SQ lower? SPL higher?

It depends more on the T/S parameters and the goal of the system than the diameter of the drivers.