Sign in to follow this  
b34tBoX

Can't decide on speakers...

I'm looking at the Rockford Fosgate Power T1652-S for front and Rockford Fosgate Power T1692 for rear.

However, I'm a bit scared of the aluminum tweeter. I've had bad experiences in the past with non-silk tweeters (Kappa).

I liked the sound from my CDT CL-62's with TW-25S silk dome tweeter.

The Kappa's would literally give me a headache and make my ears ring. While TWO sets of the CDT's I could listen to full tilt all day with no side-effects. All properly amped.

Another option for me would be the Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs. But don't know if they are too deep (mounting) for my 2005 Civic doors even with spacers.

They have a silk dome tweeter, but I heard they are harsh!.

So IDK guys, I prefer a soft tweeter with good mid-bass and looking for under $200 at best price.

What do you think?

A well designed metal dome tweeter is not going to be harsh. Another option is to play with the aiming to see if pointing them more off-axis will tame them some.

$200 budget...were you hoping for both front & rear speakers, or is that $200 just for the front speakers?

$200 budget...were you hoping for both front & rear speakers, or is that $200 just for the front speakers?

$200 for front and $200 for rear.

I agree with Brad 100% about the dome material. I've also found that what some people think is harshness from their tweeters is actually the mids beaming at or above the passive crossover point. I used to have a good article that explained it in great and wonderful detail. Hopefully I can find and link it again.

Otherwise, I would just forget the rears and use the entire budget on a great set of components for the front plus deadening and installation correction. You'll be much more pleased with the outcome this way. So many people dwell on the fact that they think passengers won't be able to hear the music in the rear without speakers which couldn't be farther from the truth. Take a long vehicle like my Chevy Venture mini van. Passengers in the rear row of seats can hear the music just fine and only slightly lower than sitting in the middle row. When sitting in the middle row there's almost no audible difference in output from the front seats. Besides, who cares the most about how good the music sounds? You, the driver, who sits in the front at all times, or the passengers who are only occasionally in the car?

I have a set of Rockford T2652-s components up front and they sound great, the tweeters were alittle harsh though. I blew one of them and Sonic sent me a complete new component set and after 2 weeks the other tweeter blew. That was after turning the gain down. Several reviews say the same about faulty tweeters in the T2 set.

Instead of trying to warranty the second set I bought a set of T1 tweeters (The same that come in the T1262s set)

Those sound much better that the T2 tweeters.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy a set of the T1 components. For the price and the right amp/install they will sound great. I have not had a problem with the T1's at all.

I have my mids in stock door location and the tweeters mounted on pillar on axis. -2db on the crossover tweeter setting

Edited by swift

Well, nevermind on the link to the article. It seems that the Car Audio & Electronics magazine website is gone and the article is no more. It basically said that due to beaming, odd order distortions, harmonics and resonances which all vary from cone material, driver parameters, and size the harshness some people hear and blame on their tweeters actually comes from their mids at frequencies ranging roughly from 2khz to 6khz. Brad and Sean would be better suited to explain this in detail and solutions to it than I as I have only a firm enough grasp on the subject to understand it.

I am in agreement with Alton, skip rear speakers and get a better front stage.

I bought a 5 channel amp to run the whole system, but now I wished I would have just spent the extra money on a better front stage, as I found music coming from the rear unnatural.

I had two sets of CDT CL2's off 600RMS in my old car up front, and just for kicks I disabled the rear amped CDT 69X.

Did not like the way it sounded at all. Rear Fill FTW!

In before you need to setup your front stage better...No thanks.

I don't have time or pateience to do that when I'm perfectly happy with the way rear fill sounds.

I plan on mounting them at stock locations.

Thanks swift, will give them a shot!

Yeah, I hear people favoring the T1 tweeets over the T2's.

Edited by b34tBoX

i pucking love my cxs62 v.2 I.D. component set. shit gets soo loud and clear. i have mine running off a sundown sax 125.2. hit is beautiful. i thought i would need speakers in the back but i didnt need them at all.

If you are going to get the T1652-S, then be careful when ordering the T1652-S, the tweeters are a bit tricky according to the year of manufacture.

One has 1" Aluminum dome tweeter with polyurethane suspension, and the other has Treated fabric dome neo-tweeter with integral suspension, read the description carefully.

Get the Treated fabric dome neo-tweeter with integral suspension, as this will favour your listening taste as described above.

Hope you read this before you order, good luck.

Edited by StreetLegal

If you are going to get the T1652-S, then be careful when ordering the T1652-S, the tweeters are a bit tricky according to the year of manufacture.

One has 1" Aluminum dome tweeter with polyurethane suspension, and the other has Treated fabric dome neo-tweeter with integral suspension, read the description carefully.

Get the Treated fabric dome neo-tweeter with integral suspension, as this will favour your listening taste as described above.

I had no idea, this is very good to know, the site I was looking at had the 1" aluminum tweets.

Although the 6x9's of the same model are still just aluminum, makes no sense..

Edited by b34tBoX

If you insist on using the rears, then find a pair of 6X9's that dosent have the tweeters mounted on, or you if you are handy you can disconnect the tweeter. It all depends on what sounds good to you.

Or use adaptor brackets and convert the rears to 6 1/2, hence use 2 sets.

Edited by StreetLegal

No love for the ID CTX65CS?

Anyone have experience with them?

not them but i got the cxs62 v.2. shits are amazing

No love for the ID CTX65CS?

Anyone have experience with them?

not them but i got the cxs62 v.2. shits are amazing

I checked them out after your first post, a bit out of my price range, but good to hear!