Check out these other great forumsSoundSolutionsAudio.comAudioAddicts.netCarAudio-Forum.comCarAudioResources.comHomeAudioForum.net

Free shipping on all orders in the US48 States!
‚Äč
HDC 3.0 Starting @ $239

Photo
- - - - -

what is my box tuned to ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brian85578

brian85578

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:car audio sports

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

so a friend built this box for my 2 sa 12s its 34 inches wide 16 inches tall 22.75 inches deep port is 16.75 deep with no bend and 5.25 wide running off a sundown sax 1200d , just going to use it for daily driver no spl , i like counrty rock and some rap music . re box calculator says its like 36hz and torres box calculator says like 42 hz ,i was hpoping for 35hz could i just legthen the port a little or narrow the port to acheive this

#2 jokers10

jokers10

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Vehicle:2003 VW Jetta

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

My calculations are closer to 43. How does it sound?

You would have to cut down the width of the port by 1.5" (2x3/4" MDF laminated) in order to lower it to around 38Hz.
03 Jetta
Kenwood Double Din
Stock Monsoon Amp/mids/tweets
1 x Sundown SAX-1200D
2 x Sundown SA-10
PWK Designed Box
Kicker PKD1
Knu Fleks Big 3

#3 brian85578

brian85578

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Doesn't sound bad but wanted some lower lows

#4 jokers10

jokers10

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Vehicle:2003 VW Jetta

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

I would cut MDF to narrow the port, and find out how many it would take in order for it to sound lower. You could have them temporary stuck in place with double sided tape.
03 Jetta
Kenwood Double Din
Stock Monsoon Amp/mids/tweets
1 x Sundown SAX-1200D
2 x Sundown SA-10
PWK Designed Box
Kicker PKD1
Knu Fleks Big 3

#5 brian85578

brian85578

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Good idea thanks for the help

#6 Alton

Alton

In over my head!!

• SSA Supporter L2

• 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio, Classic Cars, Computers, R/C's, playin' with my kids, riding ATV's, chasin' the 'ol lady around the house :)
  • Vehicle:2001 GMC Jimmy & 1998 Chevy Venture

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

If you want to verify for certain what the enclosure is tuned to simply get some test tones that range from at least 50hz to 20hz in 1hz increments. Start playing at the 50hz tone at a moderate enough volume that the subs can noticeably move, but not really moving far. Then click through the tracks one at a time while watching cone movement. When you see the cones moving the LEAST amount, that is the tuning frequency.

NEWSIG-complete.jpg

Link to The VAN's Build Log                                                                                                    Link to The Jimmy's Build log.

Facebook page      My Review of an SSA DCON 12" subwoofer     

Aaron Clinton wrote: "The XCON has it's own sound. The ICON is very full and smooth with a heavy low end. Lot's of grins from daily listening. The XCON on the other hand, is a little lighter on it's feet, little more pin point accuracy with collapse the chest pressure. Think of it in terms of heavy weaponry, the ICON being the bomb that is dropped far away and hits you with the shockwave, and the XCON is the guided missile to the chrome dome."

There is a start.  What don't you like about like about the passive results?

ie, it is always better to go about something relatively as it is much easier to define how to deal with the concern.  Exactly why I tell everyone to not jump in head first and buy what you think is your final set of drivers right away.  EVERY install you will learn something and want something to change.  This is the audio disease that we all have otherwise we wouldn't be here which means research to find the "best" solution right away will never lead you there.  Better to invest in things you can resell, but are improving the concerns you have right now than to go straight to the holy grail since like in real life it doesn't exist.

sigs_ssa_xcon.pngiaklogo.png

#7 brian85578

brian85578

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Interesting idea always learn something on this forum

#8 Alton

Alton

In over my head!!

• SSA Supporter L2

• 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio, Classic Cars, Computers, R/C's, playin' with my kids, riding ATV's, chasin' the 'ol lady around the house :)
  • Vehicle:2001 GMC Jimmy & 1998 Chevy Venture

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Works great for setting SSF too.

NEWSIG-complete.jpg

Link to The VAN's Build Log                                                                                                    Link to The Jimmy's Build log.

Facebook page      My Review of an SSA DCON 12" subwoofer     

Aaron Clinton wrote: "The XCON has it's own sound. The ICON is very full and smooth with a heavy low end. Lot's of grins from daily listening. The XCON on the other hand, is a little lighter on it's feet, little more pin point accuracy with collapse the chest pressure. Think of it in terms of heavy weaponry, the ICON being the bomb that is dropped far away and hits you with the shockwave, and the XCON is the guided missile to the chrome dome."

There is a start.  What don't you like about like about the passive results?

ie, it is always better to go about something relatively as it is much easier to define how to deal with the concern.  Exactly why I tell everyone to not jump in head first and buy what you think is your final set of drivers right away.  EVERY install you will learn something and want something to change.  This is the audio disease that we all have otherwise we wouldn't be here which means research to find the "best" solution right away will never lead you there.  Better to invest in things you can resell, but are improving the concerns you have right now than to go straight to the holy grail since like in real life it doesn't exist.

sigs_ssa_xcon.pngiaklogo.png

#9 brian85578

brian85578

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

What if I take the port wall out and start over any ideas on width and length

#10 brian85578

brian85578

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

Anyone have more input

#11 Duane

Duane

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Building boxes, speaker design. I'm a beekeeper and make cabinets. Remodeling and building. Mountain biking.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

how do you plan on removing the port? I would add wood decreasing the height of the port. You can add several to adjust the tuning to what ever you want. try it out first before you glue.

The calculators are often high on their tuning frequency. The port doesn't end at the end of the port wall if three of the sides of the port are really the box and continue. Your car can also affect the tuning. You can use a simple jig and LIMP (it is part of ARTA - goggle it.) to get your box tuning in seconds.
Pioneer HU,
Sub: Tang Band 740c 8" in .5 cf ported box. Powered by A JL Audio e2150 or Aura 2300.
Front Stage: Old school MB Quartz

Subs: 2 MTX 9510's gathering dust.
HT: RL Tritrix TL Tallboy's, CC Custom design, Rear Channels - Infinity RS4's, Sub: Custom built 15 in 6cf tuned to 21hz.

My FB page: http://www.facebook....171680872921455

#12 swift

swift

Young Grasshopper

• SSA Regular
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

I am getting 4.0cu after subs (4.3 before) and tuning of 42hz with 19in port per cube.

I would narrow the port to 3.75 using two .75in pieces the size and length of port. That would give you tuning of 35hz and 13.5in of port per cube which would work.

That should be easy to glue those boards, slide them in and put a wedge piece of wood in the port to act as a clamp. Then just seal up with caulk when done.

Edited by swift, 14 May 2012 - 01:23 PM.

2012 F250 Lariat, lifted on 22's and 35's.

4 18in DSS Ethos flat wall tuned low

2 Ampere Audio 7500.1's

Crescendo 1100.4, Rockford Punch Pro front stage.
2013 Cadillac SRX all stock

Team DSS / Team Ampere Audio

2014 TN State Champ Mod-3

2014 Meca World Finals Mod-3 3rd place

e7178130-0ed9-46fd-9a99-d7ab037d89b5_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

#1 Car Audio Forum Since 2001!