JohnHinerman

Question regarding Bass Race and Db Drag Racing

A good friend of mine wants to enter his vehicle in an up coming event. He has never done this before, and neither have I. Reading through the rules and trying to figure this all out without ever being there is a little difficult.

From what I can see, the Bass Race looks like it is less complicated than db drag racing. Am I correct? From what I can see, you play whatever you want (except test tones) for 30sec and the meter will average your SPL for that 30sec. And whomever you are paired up against does the same thing. Just like bracket racing.

The Db drag racing looks like it is much more involved.

Can someone explain what to expect when doing this for the first time? Does the owner sit in the vehicle ? Can any musical track be played? What are some tips that someone might want to know.

Thanks!

Bassrace is broken up into classes.

120-129.9 130-139.9 140-149.9 and 150-159.9.

the point is after 30 to land as close to the top of your class (like in 120-129.9 you try to land on 129.9 after the 30 secs)

Its not averaged. And you can never go over your class limit. It takes a little bit of control over your system.

Dbdrag is just burps. But they have you going at the same time as someone else. They bracket you and its tourney style. It kind of sucks cus if you face the highest Guy in your class early then you wont place as high. Like my last comp I had the second highest score but took third.

For bassrace you want to find a song with a fairly consistent bass line for at least 30 secs. Don't turn your volume/bass knob up too fast so you don't go over too quick. And remember your cabin will pressurize so you need to back off a little before the end. Get some termlab time in before the comp if you can.

Now you mention 30 sec avg. Are you sure its not bassboxing you want to know about.

Hmm I dunno why it says avg. We went off of whatever you ended at. So say you ended 30 secs at 129.5 that was your score.

Hmm I dunno why it says avg. We went off of whatever you ended at. So say you ended 30 secs at 129.5 that was your score.

It does average through the run. Your end score is the average of the whole 30 sec. and also what your final score is for that bracket.

Bass Race is average, it's an amazing amount of fun.

as previously mentioned, find something with a consistent bass line, start with your volume turned down to about 1/2 volume (unless your system is really loud)... the first run is when they measure you and designate your bracket, so say you want to be in the 129 bracket ( the easiest in my opinion).. just make sure your score lands between 120.0 and 129.9.

After that, you will start elimination rounds. It's exactly like bracket racing....

If at any point during the 30 seconds your average exceeds your bracket, you loose automatically.

Some of it is a mind game, some of it is luck, all of it is fun. I've seen competitors try to start as close to 129.9 as possible and maintain it, and i've seen competitors who will sit @ 120-125 decibels until the last 10 seconds and just start rolling on the volume.

Bassrace is just one of those things he has to do to get a complete grasp of.

As far as dB Drag, his class is determined by woofers, amps, batteries, and any interior modifications (i.e Wall, half wall, etc)

Confusedtrippy.gif

bass race takes much skill in controlling your setup and is very fun in fact. You just want to make sure that you have a consistent song such as Gorilla zoe - Juicebox the song must consist of different tones but to benefit you as a competitor you want to have something that beats and beats and beats for 30 secs. But on a side note I am the one hosting the show so if you have any questions or concerns you can pm me I am local to the metro detroit area and always love to help enthusiasts grow

bass race takes much skill in controlling your setup and is very fun in fact. You just want to make sure that you have a consistent song such as Gorilla zoe - Juicebox the song must consist of different tones but to benefit you as a competitor you want to have something that beats and beats and beats for 30 secs. But on a side note I am the one hosting the show so if you have any questions or concerns you can pm me I am local to the metro detroit area and always love to help enthusiasts grow

Its a 30 second average right?

theoretically not an average more of a controled constant score. it still works out as kinda an average but you cant go over your goal score per class say your in the 129.9 class and you get a 130.1 about 30 seconds in well that right there just cost you the run and the other person can just get any score as long as its under 129.9 and over a 120.0.

theoretically not an average more of a controled constant score. it still works out as kinda an average but you cant go over your goal score per class say your in the 129.9 class and you get a 130.1 about 30 seconds in well that right there just cost you the run and the other person can just get any score as long as its under 129.9 and over a 120.0.

So thats were my spl-labs meter will help me practice.

yes but you want to actually watch your real time score and insure you dont "bust"

He is very excited, I guess it will be a learning experience. However, just ran into a snag which I'm not sure if it will get corrected by the 5th.... The car is a ZX2, and the woofer setup consists of (1) 15" Power Bass in a vented enclosure, and (2) 12" Kenwood's in sealed enclosures. The way everything is setup, the PB 15" is getting 750w and each 12" is getting 375w. The car is pretty damn loud..(I should say was). Just melted the voice coil on the 15" sub, which really hurts the bass output lol Trying to replace it with a Kicker Comp VX by the weekend, but not sure if it is going to make it.

One other thing I didn't really think about is the actual SPL. I have no idea how loud this thing is, nor do I even know if it would produce 120-129.9 db. One thing I never paid attention to was MAX SPL, and there for I have no real reference to how loud it is, other than the fact that in my opinion it is loud. Anyone have any guess as to what this setup could possibly produce? Is 120db out of range for something like this?

hard to say what it will produce because there are so many different factors. Either way it should be a great show so you guys show come out and get some free demo's and talk to some guys.... also there are about 60 girls already signed up for the bikini contest