Ok this is the 2nd time in about 6 months this has happens. First time I just wrote it off and replaced what was needed.. Now I'm wondering why..

I noticed my voltage acting funny as if my alt wasn't charging. Pop the hood and I've melted the wire that I have put between alt and battery. Like I said...2nd time same spot.

I have a pos db alternator 220a ho alt. I used knu cca 1/0 for a pretty short run between alt and bat positive. Fused with a 250a fuse. Battery is a kinetik hc2000.

1st time

d502ade8.jpg

2nd time

c7e82bdf.jpg

Both times the fuse did not blow. The fuse holder isn't next to anything hot enough to do that kind of damage. Now I only drive this vehicle maybe three times a month so maybe that's why it hasn't happend so close together? Appreciate any ideas you guys may have

Too much current. That is the kca? I had the exact same issue... But it was no were near my engine.

I would try a new fuse holder, cant think of anything else off the top of my head really. But usually in audio when it happens once and you leave it alone, it will happen again. Im sure you checked all your connections, try replacing the wire and do some measuring with a dmm with car on.

Yea it's the cheaper of knu's cable. Rated for 250amps is what it says. Too much current? What's the fix for this?

It's basically a 2' cable. I checked the connections and there nice and tight. After it messed up the 1st time I replaced the entire piece and fuse holder. Each time it happens it completely melts that end of the fuse holder

Too much current? What's the fix for this?

Meaning that there is too much current for the wire to handle. The fix would be more/thicker wire.

As in size of fuse? No. Different fuse than the first time? Yes

It's hard for me to believe such a short run on a cheap ass ho alt can be the wires fault.. Alt is rated at 220a at like 1600 rpm. At idle I watch the needle drop dramatically. Hate this alternator. Shouldn't a 2' run of 1/0 knu Cca be good for a lot more than I have? I mean what else do I try? Run 2 runs of 1/0 just for the alt-bat connection? Lol seems a bit much.

I would agree that it's absurd. Just explaining what I think Julian meant.

Need to think about it a bit

As in size of fuse? No. Different fuse than the first time? Yes

It's hard for me to believe such a short run on a cheap ass ho alt can be the wires fault.. Alt is rated at 220a at like 1600 rpm. At idle I watch the needle drop dramatically. Hate this alternator. Shouldn't a 2' run of 1/0 knu Cca be good for a lot more than I have? I mean what else do I try? Run 2 runs of 1/0 just for the alt-bat connection? Lol seems a bit much.

that's pretty odd lol. Try different wire lol

I had the knu cca on my 320amp DC alt and never had this problem. I also don't have mine fused so I don't know if that would be the difference

Also worth noting that I also have KNU CCA on my Iraggi 260amp and haven't had this problem within the past 2 years of running that alt and wire combo

I appreciate you guys helping. It's real odd to me. Last time it happend I wasn't paying too much attention. This time I did notice everything normal when I started it up. I took it to a drive through car wash so I was looking at the gauges. I was pushing the system hard as hell for almost 10 mins straight before I noticed.

System is a sundown saz1500/btl 18 ran at 1 ohm. 2 kinetik hc2000's. Just 1 run back of 1/0 ( same wire under hood) and a mb quart 4125 discus for the highs.

I'll check back when I get up in the morning. Thanks again I really appreciate it!

Same thing happened, wire heats up and melts thru jacket. I had the exact same issue but mine was a bit more dramatic than yours. I had a 300 a fuse and it didn't burn either. Just the wire burned up

What did you do to stop it Jullian?

What if I run no fuse?

No fuse is a bad idea. In all my limited experience, when I've seen this it was solely due to a bad connection. If it's an overcurrent issue or a short the fuse will blow, but current flowing through resistance creates heat and that heat is what's melted it.

Ay the system hard an after a few minutes check to see if the wire heats up, leave the hood open so any engine heat wont factor in.

I use to run CCA and would get warm after a while, happened to my cousin too hen he was running 4 gauge to a Hifonics Brutus 2000.

Well... Guess I'll just replace that section with new wire/holder and fuse checking all my connections.

Could this be a problem with just the knu wire cause of its soft flexible jacket or could this happen with any wire?

Well... Guess I'll just replace that section with new wire/holder and fuse checking all my connections.

Could this be a problem with just the knu wire cause of its soft flexible jacket or could this happen with any wire?

Not sure about that, but I have the KCA 4 gauge and I've seriously run it past it's limits and it's never melted. I smoked an 80amp fuse + fuse holder (MAXI fuses) and got a Mini ANL fuse holder and smoked three 120 amp fuses. After that I just ran a straight run of wire for about 3 months (dangerous I know) and the wire held up just fine. It was running an 1800w mono and a 100x4.

What all that means is that I don't think it's the wire. But like Alton said if you have a bad connection heat will build up in that spot and after time do some damage. is it the type of fuse holder where you just hold the wire in with a set screw? If so try one that uses ring terminals on both sides and see what happens then.

The ones that are melting is the set screw style. I just so happened to buy like 8 fuse holders that take ring terminals for another build... I'll try one of those. Thanks fellas!

Just out of curiosity ... How long are your gorunds ??

and that particular wire, is that the one between the front battery and the fuse ?? It should not be any longer than the length of the battery ...

You need a better fuse holder. You have a bad connection.

I am going to say bad connection. Almost like the wire might have worked it way out and killed itself.

how did you notice you had an issue? as the fuse didn't pop?

ALso have you tried calling KNU about this? send them the pictures and tell them what is going on. I Know they always pick up the phone when I call and they always are able to help me out!! I recommend doing that heck you just lost two of there 20$ fuse holders plus what 20inch of wire!

I don't know there hours of operation but here is there number: 216-310-6555