vanquish

I'm New. Help me get Sub-Stage started!

I have (2) 12" Intelligent Audio Systems (TC SOUNDS PROTOTYPES)

3" Copper Coils

Single 3ohm

1000w RMS

Designed for 1 cubic feet sealed enclosures. w/ poly fill added

All I have is a basic 5 channel samsung home theater system that came as a package deal with my bluray player, so i'm obviously looking to upgrade.

For starters I'm only looking for some power to push this substage.

I looked into Crown XLS/XTI amplifiers around 2,000w RMS because that's all I know.... what brands and models should I consider, nothing top of the line but reasonably priced!

Will I have to buy a receiver to hook the amplifier up to it. Not really sure how this works so any suggestions are appreciated.

Pics of the subs:

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

Edited by lost

looks good.. havent seen you around in a while.

looks good.. havent seen you around in a while.

What's up Jon,

yeah It's been a min. I've been around but on but mostly on other forums.

Jet life!

Jet life!

You already know haha.

I went to the Jet Life Tour show in San Francisco on the 4th.

Show was DOPE

Back to the topic though can someone steer me in the right direction as to what i'll need to purchase next

I think you are on the right track with a crown amp. I have not shopped for a avr in years. So I can't recommend anything there. I would look at the voltage output for the lfe output. Pro amps often want more voltage the the home stuff. Do you have any specs on the subs? I know that tc sounds subs work well in small boxes, but that seems really small.

Elaborate on "basic 5 channel samsung home theater system."

I think you are on the right track with a crown amp. I have not shopped for a avr in years. So I can't recommend anything there. I would look at the voltage output for the lfe output. Pro amps often want more voltage the the home stuff. Do you have any specs on the subs? I know that tc sounds subs work well in small boxes, but that seems really small.

So Crown amps are considered "PRO" amps and HT? I didn't know they take more voltage thanks for that info.

No T/S Specs but Thilo himself built the exact enclosures that they're sitting in so i'm sure it's optimal for the amount of power i'd like to send them.

Elaborate on "basic 5 channel samsung home theater system."

SA-BT228

http://www.manualowl...8/Manual/122976

Sub channel is 100w RMS @ 6ohm. I have that hooked up for now

Edited by lost

Looks like the unit has an output for a subwoofer, but it's not a low level signal.

Are you also using sat/cable, or only the bluray player?

Looks like the unit has an output for a subwoofer, but it's not a low level signal.

Are you also using sat/cable, or only the bluray player?

I'm using only the bluray player & HMDI leading to the TV.

If I buy one of these Crown amps how do I hook this up to my subwoofer & Bluray player??

Edited by lost

Looks like you need to go shopping for a AVR.

Hey, try and check those Crowns out at a music store before you buy one, just see how loud the fan is... They can get annoying...

As far as using a pro audio amp, the input line voltage is the same (120V AC). They normally have balanced audio inputs, which isn't a problem for most home audio gear to drive as the input impedance is still faily high. If that Crown only has XLR inputs, you just need to make adapter cables (pin 2 connects to the center of the RCA plug and pins 1+3 are tied to the shield/outer conductor of the RCA plug) The amp will have adjustable gain, you will be able to drive it to full output with just about anything.

Unless your current system has a low-level sub out, you'll want to get an AVR that does. Most new ones do. Most also have an LFE channel that has a crossover and EQ built in, so you just run it into the amp and go... That is the easiest way.

If what you have doesn't have any processing/crosover, you can also buy a dedicated sub amp that has crossovers and EQ built in. Partsexpress sells a 1000 watt unit that has no fan, corssovers, eq and auto turn on. I think they are around $400. I have used about 10 of them and have been happy.

If Thilo designed those boxes, I would stick with them.

Hope this helps.