Briggiboy33

sono tube port help! is it enough

I bought a sono tube today for a port for my ssd15 that should be coming in about a week or so. The tube measures about 7.5" diameter. I was planning to make a 4 cuft box tuned to about 28hz or so. But is there any way to curve the tu e to make it a right angle? Lol... idt it will fit inside my box without a curve. And i cant get any fiberglass or resin so what should i do to the cardboard tube to make it hard enough for the port? Could i put poly on it then paint it? Or like any good ideas? And since its not quite 8" tube should i just make a 3.5 or 3 cuft box? And do i need double baffel or should single be strong enough for a ssd15? On 1000rms... please any help will be very much appreciated.

u buy form tubes for straight ports only.. And sonotube is a brand. Form tube is what you are using

Okay so if i could make it work is 7.5 big enough?

hehe.. yes it is.

Okay i was originally going for 2 6" ports... then decided this would be easier... and almost as big but still wasnt the same size at 8"... and i thought an 8" port was a little smaller than i really wanted... but iv read alot of your posts and i definitely will take your word for it. But do i want the port to load off of something? Or should i give it the most clear path possible? This is going in a 06 tubdra access cab directly behind drivers seat while keeping 2 seats in the back useable. Im planning to point the sub at the drivers seat and the port either at drivers seat aswell... or up towards the roof to load off... or i possibky can poi t towards open space at the passengers seat... how do you reccome.d?

while i've never built for trucks, i can tell you some info i've learned from some fellow world record holder friends of mine.

You, if you can, fire the sub UP on driver side and port to the side firing to the passenger side.

For a 15, make the depth and height of the box 17-19" and the length long enough to get your desired volume.

When porting to the side, passenger side, you can run the port up to about 3-5" away from the side of the truck!

So keep that port as external as possible. the more external it is, the better.

Why do i want it external? Lol its just a daily driver but its gotsta look good! Haha and no way could i stick the port out of the box to where the people will be sitting. Haha i have no problem with the port right at their ear... haha but they need room to sit. Lol but thats basicaly what im stuck to as far as dimensions anyways. Except it will be standing on its small end. So a vertical box.. almost like a walled corner... haha but small enough to take out... but thankyou for the help.

oh, didnt know there was still seating in the rear area!

Haha thats the plan. Gunna make an odd shaped box to try and leave seating

The tube will be strong enough without any modification. They fill these with concrete all the time.

Yeah but there is dirt outside the concrete.. but like 2 inches all the way around one lip will be enough to hold it horizontal? My port needs to be horizontal... and this tube is cardboard... wont it lose its shape?

A round 8" carboard tube is more rigid than a similar size square vent made of 3/4" MDF.

Remember, it is round....

u buy form tubes for straight ports only.

Why do you say this? I've cut them at angles before and glued them back together with no issues.

Because the people who compete and choose to use form tubes do it purely because they have the depth and room for port area externally to run an external port using one of these.

If competitors need to bend the port, slot port is far less work to achieve equal tuning.

I built a test box one time for a single 15 and used a 30 somethin inch long 12" tube, lol.

It made it peak LOW, in the low 30s. It was awesome.. but impractical install. It took up the entire rear of the car from the front seat to the back bumper in the scion tc.

But, form tubes are also typically used externally in competition. Sometimes not completely external but some, nonetheless.

The goal here is to get the port out of the box as much as possible. I had seen a 0.9db-1.7db gain from pulling my port out of the box when i built that test box while back. dB gain has a range because it was based on tuning changes but it was always a gain from 35-42hz.

So because people use them for competition with a straight vent means they can't be used for anything else?

lol, i'm just sayin if u need to bend a port.. it's better just to use a slot.

Bending aeros is never a good idea because it canwill cause turbulence so it defeats the purpose.

So, a user can use a slot port, preferably with slightly more port area to make up for the potential loss due to turbulence when the port is bent.

You are only relating their use to competition though, which I knew, but the thread creator might not understand.

oh i know why you are making me elaborate.. :)

Down here, we build daily street boxes the same way we would competition boxes. (here comes the jokes, lol)

I'm just used to it now seein it for so long.

Just add a brace that holds the other end of the port.

look at the box i built for Sencheezy a while back.

he used an 8" form tube about ~24in long. Most of it was internal, only a few in external.

I added 3 extra layers of wood inside the box around the exit hole(3" thick) to secure the form tube.

It doesnt move, trust me. Add some glue or silicone or duct tape, lol, anything internally and it will stay still.

It will not deform under pressure whatsoever.