sundownz

Sundown : Revisiting Component Sets (Mid-Level)

I did some early prototyping around this time last year on some mid-level sets and they were quite good, IMO... I decided to re-evaluate them a bit based on the listening I've had with them since that time.

I received the first early prototype of the new mid-level set a few days ago and I will be replacing the 2011 prototypes in my car with these soon.

The biggest change is the cone material... for a set like this that crosses over higher I prefer a paper base vs. the composite base (woven material) that the other set utilized.

The set is NOT done as I plan to modify the frame on the mid as well as the motor ventilation. There will be no fancy eye-candy to the set -- very basic cosmetically with as much focus on the actual sound as possible.

Once I finalize the details I will talk more about the pricing level on them. For the level of sound quality that I am shooting for it will be very fair.

Here are the photos of the early set :

CIMG6260.JPG

* The crossovers use an "open tool" plastic housing but do offer some nice features; 12, 6, or full range slope on the mid LPF and also 0, -3, and -6 tweeter level adjustment. The grilles will remain a very basic model that offers good protection with little sonic interference.

CIMG6262.JPG

* Fairly standard silk dome tweeter; no frills but a nice sounding unit that is not harsh.

CIMG6263.JPG

* I really like this cone material... very smooth and natural sound.

CIMG6264.JPG

* This basket and motor are not vented at all on this early set -- that will change for thermal and acoustic reasons.

CIMG6265.JPG

* High quality spider with tight weave utilized

I will work on the packaging a little bit but I don't plan to make it super fancy and waste money where there is no performance gain to be had.

Once I feel the design is final I will be able to give an ETA -- as of now I cannot give one.

:wackit2:

for a set like this that crosses over higher

What are you looking at for xover point?

Awesome! Will these be available in different sizes or just 6.5?

any ball park of a price point? or did i miss that..

if i did im sorry... im going on 27 hours awake on 2 hours of sleep./

any ball park of a price point? or did i miss that..

if i did im sorry... im going on 27 hours awake on 2 hours of sleep./

This is the only thing I saw "Once I finalize the details I will talk more about the pricing level on them. For the level of sound quality that I am shooting for it will be very fair."

Look nice Jacob, real nice

Curious what your purpose with the dual slopes is.

Btw, cone material makes more sense IMO. smile.png

Jacob, what is the tweeter material - plastic, metal cone or silk?

thanks rick, FML

Subscribed!

I like the variable attenuation circuit on the tweeter output.

Cast_Frame.jpg

Here is the frame I will be using on the set (cast aluminum) -- as I said initially this first prototype is mainly to test / verify the cone material performs like I want it to. This frame is only a few millimeters deeper than the stamped unit... total depth is going to be about ~66mm which is 2.59"

I am also thickening the back plate, doing some small motor modifications, and adding ventilation to the back plate as well to help relieve pressure / back-wave reflections and to keep coil temperatures down.

I'll be putting the initial set in my car shortly... then I will be getting the revised midranges as quickly as possible. Once I verify everything we should be ready to roll soon after on production assuming it all checks out in my testing.

Also... I expect MAP price from a dealer to come in under $200

Curious what your purpose with the dual slopes is.

Btw, cone material makes more sense IMO. smile.png

Some people will prefer a shallower slope on the LPF -- just a bit of choice for the end user.

3800 Hz -- which I suppose isn't high per-se but not low either :)

I'm in for an 8" Midbass, a 4" Midrange and tweeter....................................and go.

This is definitely a step in the right direction

Cast_Frame.jpg

Here is the frame I will be using on the set (cast aluminum) -- as I said initially this first prototype is mainly to test / verify the cone material performs like I want it to. This frame is only a few millimeters deeper than the stamped unit... total depth is going to be about ~66mm which is 2.59"

I am also thickening the back plate, doing some small motor modifications, and adding ventilation to the back plate as well to help relieve pressure / back-wave reflections and to keep coil temperatures down.

I'll be putting the initial set in my car shortly... then I will be getting the revised midranges as quickly as possible. Once I verify everything we should be ready to roll soon after on production assuming it all checks out in my testing.

Also... I expect MAP price from a dealer to come in under $200

great! this is great!!!!!

3800 Hz -- which I suppose isn't high per-se but not low either smile.png

That's pretty high for a 6.5" driver. Beaming will be pretty well in affect at that point, which considering these are primarily mounted off-axis in a door I'd be a little worried about a hole in the midrange response.

Have you measured the FR in a typical installation from the listening position yet?

I think it will work out pretty well -- we will be doing some measurements once I get them put into my car.

Pretty sweet looking basket. Everyone will want a set ;)

Making some progress on the finalized mid... the cone material turned out great on the first sample so we've moved onto the rest of the details :

Mid_Cone_SML.jpg

* Cone mounted on the new frame

Mid_Side_SML.jpg

* Side view with the cast frame

Mid_Rear_SML.jpg

* Gap venting implemented... the finish is NOT final it is only for sampling.

Mid_Finish_Final_SML.jpg

* The final finish will be smooth with chrome plating... will look VERY nice and also will be very corrosion resistant.

I cannot wait for these to be released! They look great!