sundownz

Sundown : Reference SQ Component Set

I have always been a bit SQ fan. Clean and clear sound is what brought me into car audio but I had to make a detour towards output for most of our company history so far in order to meet my customer demands. Of course... that has not stopped me from implementing features for lower distortion in many of our models :)

But now I feel it is time to really gear a product DIRECTLY towards SQ. I've started development on what I consider a true Reference grade component set... one with objective distortion levels up there with the BEST products on the market at any price level. This complete set will be priced under $1,000 from an authorized dealer; how much under that I do not know yet. This set certainly is NOT for everyone but it is what I want to have in my own cars.

Nearly every part will be custom tooled... tweeter housing and internals, midrange frame, cone, surround, spider, crossover housing, etc, etc. So this will take some time and effort to accomplish but will be a world class set no question. I was waiting for the time when this sort of tooling was feasible for Sundown as a company to make a product like this.

On to the initial renderings... I will only give out limited information until parts start to be physically completed. But I will go ahead and do the usual teaser shots for everyone to think about until then.

Ref_Mid_1_Small.jpg

* Powerful Neo motor with very thick top plate (hint hint)... the surround is a specially tooled until to have identical forward and rearward compliance. The motor features two internal shorting rings and a naturally low inductance already. I will say that this driver does feature double-digit one-way excursion (linear) so will offer very powerful mid-bass.

Ref_Mid_2_Small.jpg

* Very open frame similar to Dynaudio or Scan-Speak and the like but this particular unit will be tooled just for this driver. As this is an SQ unit we opted for a large open pole vent to keep air noise to a minimum. The coil is a fairly large diameter unit for a mid so thermal handling is not a concern.

Ref_Tweeter_1_Small.jpg

* Specially tuned rear chamber (the shape is for specific acoustic purposes)

Ref_Tweeter_2_Small.jpg

* The housing mounts similarly to many other high-end tweeters so bears a resemblance to a few but this particular housing will be tooled for the specific internal needs of our tweeter. Higher end tweeters such as this unit have quite a bit going on internally to damp the rear wave and tune the Fs of the unit.

-----

This set will be a two-way upon introduction. We may develop another crossover and a dedicated midrange for a three-way setup later on if demand exists.

The crossover is also still in development phase... I am working on some neat features for it.

I am also considering selling the set "a-la-carte" so you can buy the mid, tweeter, and crossovers all separately to meet your needs.

An ETA is NOT yet available.

:wackit3: Edited by Sencheezy

Damn...

Those things may make me change my Focal set finally !!!

waiting, waitingmorning.gif

Is the "line" in the top plate due to the rendering, or is the top plate a two-piece top plate?

The surround looks nice....typically spiders by themselves are fairly linear but the surround is what pulls the CMS curve out of symmetry.

Do you have cone material chosen yet?

pretty sweet!

Very cool, these I will definitely be keeping an eye on. Again I have to ask, just 6.5? If so do you have any plans for a bigger mid bass driver?

I may have to rethink my dynaudio mw 162 and md 102's.

nice!!!

Very interesting, tuned in for sure.

EDIT: BTW is that an XBL motor as you said it will have double digit xmax?

Edited by Skullz

I cannot wait for more information on this setup. Planning on going all SQ in my Civic at some time.

How about ferrite and cut the price in half?

X 1,000,000

I am interested, although the price will put it out of my reach.

I am wretching over the 500$ price tag on the audison voche component set I've been looking at.

These are just what the average user is going to need.

And the price point is looking really good.

How about ferrite and cut the price in half?

I agree 100000x

The motor would be too wide and heavy in Ferrite, IMO.

We are trying to keep reflection on the motor down as well -- a big flat top plate and magnet right behind the cone isn't what we want.

damn it!

i mixed up my posts lol

I'm going to need 8" midbass, 4" midrange, and Tweet. No X-over needed. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd GO.

Overall_Set.jpg

* Overall Set

Crossover_Face.jpg

* Crossover Cover

Crossover_Internal.jpg

* Crossover Guts

Crossover_Side.jpg

* Crossover Side -- Very thick / heavy duty housing plates

Midrange_Cone_Front.jpg

* Midrange Front

Midrange_Motor_Rear.jpg

* Midrange Back -- Notice lead wires ran below spider. I will also likely make the finish chrome for more durability and weather resistance.

Midrange_Side_View.jpg

* Overall side view

Tweeter_Front.jpg

* Tweeter

Tweeter_Back.jpg

* Rear Tweeter View

Tweeter_Side.jpg

* Tweeter Side View

----------

Final MAP price from authorized dealer is $799 for the entire set.

I am looking into selling the parts separately as well -- but those details have not been worked out yet.

I am planning on doing a good bit of testing and tweaking before starting production on these -- so consider this pretty early in the game.

Will update once the prototype set arrives and we test it.

Are you by any chance gonna bring a working set for demo to MECA World Finals ??

I'd really like a demo !!!