Sign in to follow this  
meccalli

Midrange/Midbass enclosure help.

So guys, i'm frustrated with my system to a certain degree, i currently have my mains as a cerwin vega e-312 pair...they're ok but the enclosure is mostly sub -tiny midrange and a tweeter. It feels like my entire ht is subsonic lol- coupled with the 2 15's subwoofers covering the lfe channel.

I want more midrange and midbass particularly for music - i want to hear actual bass timbre from a guitar like a cab. I'm thinking about the eminence beta 8a's which are readily available in my country. I wanna pair em with a soft dome-dayton probably -crossed at 3k maybe. I'm not sure how to model this, I've thrown it into winisd and i'm not too sure if i trust it. But any enclosure recommendations for a project like this. I'm gonna start off with mains and eventually make all of em identical for each channel for my ht. Music is priority however.

I would recommend against crossing an 8" driver @ 3khz. It is going to be beaming heavily at that point, and you are more than likely going to encounter the driver's cone break up nodes among other issues.

What is your budget, and what are you powering them with? Do you need to maintain a certain nominal or minimum impedance?

Honestly, there are so many DIY projects out there, my suggestion would be to search around and find a project that generally fits your goals & budget with products that are available to you.

The Beta 8" & 10" are actually fairly popular in the DIY community. While I don't have any specific projects handy, I'm sure if you searched around you could find plenty of projects that meet your goals & budget, and they will generally have detailed plans of the enclosure as well as crossover. Both of which take a certain degree of knowledge, experience and time to design. In home audio it's not as easy as just finding a good enclosure volume and tuning....baffle width & design (woofer/tweeter location and spacing, etc) need to be carefully considered and integrated into the crossover design to achieve a good frequency response, for just one example. Unless you have a lot of experience in designing speakers specifically for home audio, it is best to find something with complete plans already available rather than try to design your own from scratch.

ahh, i hear you. I've seen guys say how they've used em but not so much build logs/plans. I'll probably take a look around on diyaudio. i actually meant crossing the dayton tweet at 3k. I'd want to cover the 60 - 3k range with the 8. I'll be powering em with my kenwood vr-60 rs receiver.

Edited by mecalli

ahh, i hear you. I've seen guys say how they've used em but not so much build logs/plans. I'll probably take a look around on diyaudio. i actually meant crossing the dayton tweet at 3k. I'd want to cover the 60 - 3k range with the 8. I'll be powering em with my kenwood vr-60 rs receiver.

If the 8" is playing up to 3k then it's still "crossed" at 3k, and the above issues would still stand.

I understood what you meant. Using an 8" driver up to 3khz is not a good idea for many reasons.

Since you are using your receiver, you will want to make sure you find a set of speakers that is an 8ohm nominal impedance, and that the impedance curve doesn't drop too low. Otherwise your receiver will have a very difficult time driving them.

Sup fellow Trinidadian, (soundstream_626 here). You ran a simulation thru Jeff Bagby`s pcd or lsp cad? if not Parts express forum is where you want to start. Steep learning curve though

Thanks for the suggestions guys, first time doing an actual 2 way and my fullranges won't cut it for ht. So i guess i should go that route as i did with my fullranges..plans, makes sense. Oh hey soundstream lol.