JohnHinerman

Class 'D' amps heat voice coils more than class a/b?

According to PowerBass 3XL product info, a Class D amplifier heats a subwoofer voice coil 2 to 3 times hotter and faster than a class a/b amplifier. Is there any truth to this? I'm not an electrical engineer, nor a amp design expert, but I've never heard this before.

http://www.powerbassusa.com/3xl-series

Hell naw. Power is power.

300 "class D" watts are exactly the same as 300 "class AB" watts. Your speakers dgaf lol.

300 "class D" watts are exactly the same as 300 "class AB" watts. Your speakers dgaf lol.

I agree.

Class d amps that do not have filters to filter the higher switching frequencies use the inductance of the driver to filter them causing the coil to heat faster. This is a common problem in cheap Korean amps that don't have sufficient filtering. This causes inductance heating that normally causes coils to fail.

Careful when saying that. "Watts" are just a mathematical result of amperage times voltage. Just like "horsepower" is the result of torque over time. Not all "watts" are the same.

Careful when saying that. "Watts" are just a mathematical result of amperage times voltage. Just like "horsepower" is the result of torque over time. Not all "watts" are the same.

Clean watts vs, clean watts are the same. Once you go below 1% THD you are talking about clean watts.

Keep the signal clean and your subwoofer will die due to soft part material degradation faster than burning the coil.

It requires a lot more coin to get a clean 2K watts on a Class A/B than a Class D. And your ear won't hear the difference.

Thats crazy... So what are some amps that may have this problem???

Look at lower priced amps. It is hard to start naming brands, because someone will throw a fit because you called their cr@p...cr@p

According to PowerBass 3XL product info, a Class D amplifier heats a subwoofer voice coil 2 to 3 times hotter and faster than a class a/b amplifier. Is there any truth to this? I'm not an electrical engineer, nor a amp design expert, but I've never heard this before.

http://www.powerbassusa.com/3xl-series

It's true...if they are comparing amps with the same foot print. Then class D's have more power. Guess what heats up the coils? You got it, power. If that is apples to apples then there is no difference.

Of course it's a vague statement devised by marketing to confuse the uninformed. Almost sounds like they hired Ant.

So wouldnt thoretically a Class D amp be more efficient than one of their Class A/B amps? Therefore sending more power? Even if rated the same wattage?

So wouldnt thoretically a Class D amp be more efficient than one of their Class A/B amps? Therefore sending more power? Even if rated the same wattage?

No.

Efficiency is a rating of power made versus power consumed. ie, class AB amplifiers USE more current to make the same power.

I hear Richard Clark grumbling. ;)