Sign in to follow this  
Briggiboy33

which amplifier to choose?

I ordered a ssd15 and it should be coming in in about a week. What amp should i choose? I have been looking at the soundstream rubicon 1600d, the powerbass xax1200d, and the lanzar opti1400d. These are all on amazon for under $230 with shipping. Its weird how the least powerful is the most expencive and the most powerfull is the least expencive. But something about the lanzar has been grabbing my attention. If there are any other amplifiers in this like class and price range could you help me out and give a reccomendation?

I have no personal experience with any of those amps but years of experience has taught me that in almost all cases you get exactly what you pay for. Many times the more expensive lower power rated amp will make more useable power than the less expensive higher power rated amp. Even if it doesn't the more expensive amp will generally handle abuses better and last longer than the cheaper amp.

Again, I can't help you with any of those specific units, but I can recommend that buying the one with the best reputation is generally the best way to go.

hifonics brz1200.1d is a nice amp for the money.

The SSD does not need that much power, 800-1000 is plenty. Back off the power ratting and bump up the quality. ;)

Lol alright well i got the cooling feature aswell. But what amp would you reccomend for a quality amp? I cant spend over 250... thats the problem. So i was thinking buy a cheaper amp with more power and turn it down... to get clean power.

Lol alright well i got the cooling feature aswell. But what amp would you reccomend for a quality amp? I cant spend over 250... thats the problem. So i was thinking buy a cheaper amp with more power and turn it down... to get clean power.

Nothing wrong with headroom, and the amplifiers listed will do the job, just seems like you are more worried about dollar per watt then quality or features. Not a bad thing, but personally I would rather buy a used Zapco, MMATS, JL, PG or ZED amp with that budget.

The ST-1000D linked is a very nice choice.

It would be my first choice with the budget given.

Leaves cash space for the big three if desired, or correct wiring.

J

I can't link to C A C O from here but there is a nice ass Crossfire VR1000 for 180 that I would pick up in a heartbeat.

Alright well ill try and get the st1000d how much would be too much for it? Like should i go 220? Or is that like over priced for it used? Any help is appreciated.

Iv got a bid for that amp... the shipping is like 22... so im onky gunna go to 200... if i dont win it I

Think im gunna go with the lanzar opti1400.... idk why but i like that one... and i have all green lights in my truck so i cnt get the powerbass with the blue illumination.

For a few dollars more the Skar Audio SK-800.1 in the SSA Store would be a great choice.

Well i definatly want atleast 1000rms... even 1500... but i really cant spend over 250.... i still need power wire and a sheet of mdf... so 250 for the amp the highest... ik its not much for that much power but im 17 and no job... lmao but gotta bang! Haha

Well i definatly want atleast 1000rms... even 1500... but i really cant spend over 250.... i still need power wire and a sheet of mdf... so 250 for the amp the highest... ik its not much for that much power but im 17 and no job... lmao but gotta bang! Haha

Aaron hit it right on the head.

The goal of the people trying to help you here is to steer you down a good path, free from hit or miss brands, and from wasting your money on equipment you will be disappointed with in a week or two. Just heed the advice given, but remember you are free to make your own decisions. We don't say 'I told you so' when people come back and ask for help because they didn't listen the first time.

J

The best thing I can tell you is do lot's of research in any car audio products you are considering, and do not and try not to impulse buy because thats all you have saved up at the moment. Be patient and save up for what you want.

Well said Jordan, I hope he understands we want to help him make a good decision the first time. :)

yeah i understand that but i feel like id be dissapointed with only 800rms and an empty wallet... like i just sold a powerbass asa400.2 and if you ask me it sounded great, had good power and never heated up. i spent 100bucks on that... i know my electrical isnt up to par for like 1500rms.. but atleast then ill have something else to build up to after i buy an amp. for now i can keep it turned down untill i can upgrade my alt and idk about batterys because there is absolutly no room for them... thats why i got a 15 instead of 2 12s.. i dont have any space. but i want it as loud as possible... i got a small volt meter to moniter my voltage and ill turn it down when its around 12.3 or whatever.. but i am not planning to be able to run this amp all day... probably just for a couple mins at a time at like 3/4 volume.. but ik your going to say bad choice but how is the ppi bk1300.1d? the black ice series is supposed to be good... and its 200 on ebay. i need to buy power wire aswell... what size should i get? like 1/0? or would 2awg be big enough?

Again, I think you are too stuck on equating wattage to end output. Something that has not really been addressed is the enclosure.

enclosure is going to be roughly 3-4 cuft. 7.5" form tube as the port internal probably facing the roof of my truck. so the whole enclosure will be almost like 5 cuft... but i have a 06 tundra access cab. but im saving 2 rear seats. the middle and the passengerside back seat will be free. the seat directly behind the driverseat is where the box will be and amp. it will be slanted back slightly for driver comfort. the enclosure will be determined by how big it turns out... hard to make measurements for the box... perferably 4cuft tuned to like 32hz... so that i can keep the amp low...