An-i-no

Is a supertweeter for me?

I'm currently tinkering with ideas for my front stage. I'm looking for a particular sound and I'm not sure how to describe it but here it goes....

I have a set of Grado Sr80i Headphones (which I HIGHLY recommend to anyone who loves music) and they have lots of....shimmer? on the high end. I want that sound for my car. I want the higher midrange to be pronounced, I want to hear the details (such as the rasp in men's voices) and I want it to be pretty loud. I have a cheap bookshelf setup in my room and it has Piezo horns in it that have the sound (as far as highs) that I'm looking for. The best I can describe it is airy, or wispy? A very exciting sound.

So with that said, I really haven't listened to much, and I haven't listened to anything in a car that sounds like what I want. I've never heard a supertweeter. So, just based off of you guy's experiences, can a supertweeter give me that sound?

I have a set of Hertz XL mids in the mail and from what I've read they don't sound as good crossed above 2.5khz because of the cone material and design...(blah blah blah) and I have yet to find a supertweeter that the manufacturer recommends to cross that low. They all want 3.5+ Will that be a deal breaker? Thanks for any advice.

no need for a super tweeter in car imo, unless you want to go deaf.

why dont make some adjustments to you post and turn this thread into something where we could help you assemble the correct front stage to meet your needs. which would include mids, tweets, amps, and processing.

Hmm...after a little research I'm on your side. I don't think I want supertweets at all. My processing will come in the form of a Pioneer DEH-80PRS so ill be able to control the xover points from up front.

So...I'm looking for a tweet that I can cross around 2.5khz safely

I'm guessing hsk 165 xl?

I'd snag some large format tweeters from Parts-Express, Madisound, etc.

I'm guessing hsk 165 xl?

Large format? I'm not sure what that means. I'm new to non-CA drivers.

I'm guessing hsk 165 xl?

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=454

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/soft-dome-tweeters/

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/hard-dome-tweeter-page-2/

As to which. See what you can fit, falls into budget, and perhaps find some reviews / graphs for distortion and break up.

There's quite a few reviews and tests done on diyma of tweeters that might help you pick.

You can also check out some reviews on http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

Supertweeters can't play nice to 2.5kHz. Not even close. Take the Fs and multiple by 2. That is the LOWEST you should cross a driver. In general, getting a tweeter loud is easy. Getting a sub loud is easy. The difficulty is in the midbass and midrange. If you want volume you give up frequency range. No way around that. Time to pick your compromise.

I know you already decided that super tweets don't make sense for you...and really make sense pretty much NEVER in a car, but wanted to clarify.

A large format tweeter with a low Fs is definitely more appropriate. You don't have enough mid to bother going with anything more extreme.

What is your budget?

What are the available xover points/slopes on your HU?

Where are they being mounted and how much room do you have available?

Glad you decided against a supertweeter smile.png There is really very few applications where they make sense in an automobile despite the widespread use (read: misapplication) by SPL guys.

I'm guessing hsk 165 xl?

http://www.parts-exp...CAT&srchCat=454

http://www.madisound...-dome-tweeters/

http://www.madisound...tweeter-page-2/

As to which. See what you can fit, falls into budget, and perhaps find some reviews / graphs for distortion and break up.

There's quite a few reviews and tests done on diyma of tweeters that might help you pick.

You can also check out some reviews on http://www.zaphaudio...weetermishmash/

Supertweeters can't play nice to 2.5kHz. Not even close. Take the Fs and multiple by 2. That is the LOWEST you should cross a driver. In general, getting a tweeter loud is easy. Getting a sub loud is easy. The difficulty is in the midbass and midrange. If you want volume you give up frequency range. No way around that. Time to pick your compromise.

I know you already decided that super tweets don't make sense for you...and really make sense pretty much NEVER in a car, but wanted to clarify.

A large format tweeter with a low Fs is definitely more appropriate. You don't have enough mid to bother going with anything more extreme.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll do some reading.

What is your budget?

Glad you decided against a supertweeter smile.png There is really very few applications where they make sense in an automobile despite the widespread use (read: misapplication) by SPL guys.

Initial budget is $150 for the pair. If I need to go a little overboard I will. I don't own the HU yet (having trouble finding one that isn't marked up like crazy) so I can't answer that in detail but I can look it up. As far as the mounting location I have my current tweet high on the doors and I like them there so I guess that's where I'd put the new one.

What is your budget?

Initial budget is $150 for the pair. If I need to go a little overboard I will. I don't own the HU yet (having trouble finding one that isn't marked up like crazy) so I can't answer that in detail but I can look it up. As far as the mounting location I have my current tweet high on the doors and I like them there so I guess that's where I'd put the new one.

Depth restrictions?

What is your budget?

Depth restrictions?

Probably not. If so, I'd build a spacer.