Sign in to follow this  
Briggiboy33

what size fuse do i need for my power wire?

Well im planning to buy either 1awg or 2 awg power wire from wire and supply to power my ppi black ice 1300.1d. I have all stock electrical.. but i need a fuse inbetween my battery and amp. What sizedo i get? The amp has 4 35amp fuses... does that mean get a 130 or so fuse? And should i get the anl fuse or the round one?... and is that wire the right size? Or should i be going with 4awg? Or like 1/0...

Alright so 4 awg is big enough for 1300rms. And 120 amp fuse will be good also? Thanks. I am buying it from the welding supply to get enough for the big 3... how many lugs do i need for that?.... iv never really done anything under my hood besides change my oil and install my hids.. and 8 awg power for my last set up. But i wanna do the big 3 and install a small volt meter to my amp to see the voltage its getting. Because ik my electrical isnt up to par...

well if you are doing the big 3 make sure to do it with 1/0awg wire!!!! as for lugs lets see you will need:

2 - alt to battery (positive) you might need more depending on the fuse holder

2 - alt to frame

2 - battery to frame (each battery buy two more lugs)

2 - engine to frame

so if you buy 10 lugs you should be good to go. now do you plan to upgrade down the road? if so I would run 2 runs of 1/0 from front battery to the rear and just get some reducers for the amp!

here is a reducer

http://www.knukoncep...fm?prodID=SSGR0

good luck and let us know how it goes! and here is a little diagram if you need! keep in mind this is for a bigger build but the concept still applies

Untitled-7.jpg

as for fusing for 1/0 use a 250amp! and always fuse to the wires capacity unless the amp has no on-board fusing!

Edited by CrazyKenKid

o and in regards to the voltmeter! good Idea! but keep in mind the voltage at the amp and the voltage at the battery will be the same voltage! this is because they are in parallel with each other! so if it is easier to hook the volt meter to the amp go for it and if it is easier to hook it up to the front battery go for it! :) all you have to do is hook the volt meter right on top of the battery with the other wires or in the terminals of the amp along with the other wires! now which volt meter are you looking to buy as some will require an in line (series) switch to turn them on and some will have a remote wire on them! (like your amp does) to turn on!

if you like please feel free to pm me on here and I will be able to help you out if you run into a jam and need a quick reply, unless I am playing diablo 3 :)

Be sure you install the inline fuse as close to the battery as possible.

I also prefer anl type fuses. Unless you buy a high quality agu fuse you could likely end up with a voltage drop due to the poor solder on the end caps. Atc fuses aren't bad but not easy to find in high amperage and not a lot of choices for a fuse holder.

Some people don't add an inline fuse on the big 3 wire to the alternator. I always do though. I don't have any power wire on my truck that isn't fused.

Let me know how you like the ppi amp. I just bought the big 4 channel but haven't installed it yet.

Be sure you install the inline fuse as close to the battery as possible.

I also prefer anl type fuses. Unless you buy a high quality agu fuse you could likely end up with a voltage drop due to the poor solder on the end caps. Atc fuses aren't bad but not easy to find in high amperage and not a lot of choices for a fuse holder.

Some people don't add an inline fuse on the big 3 wire to the alternator. I always do though. I don't have any power wire on my truck that isn't fused.

Let me know how you like the ppi amp. I just bought the big 4 channel but haven't installed it yet.

Off topic, but you got the 800.4?

I have one...it's a damn nice amp.

The voltage at the battery and amplifier will never be the same. This why you use sufficent enough gauge of wire, in order to minimize this....

I ordered 1 guage wire that should be in friday hopefully. But how should i run such large wire? I also have a run of 8guage for my 2 channel... id like to run both of them from the battery. But i have the 1300.1mono block. I installed my volt meter today and its pretty sweet. My alt dosnt power more that 14.0 volts.. but thats fine right? Lol i have all stock electrical. My 2 channel only drops it to 13.9.... that isnt like a warning about what my mono block will do is it?