Dangrebel

Need tweeter help

Ok so water got in one of my tweeters and I need replacements, I'm looking for soft or silk dome tweeters that sound very smooth. I would like the to come with there own crossover. I'm not going active til a little later. They will be paired with crescendos new pwx 6.5 pa speaker. I'll prolly cross the pwx at 3000hz or wherever the crossover points are on the tweet possibly. Budget is 80 and down. They will be ran on a mb quart 125.4. There are so many choices but hardly any reviews can one of you point me in a good direction?

are you using a mb quartz onx4.125?

if you are, then you wouldn't need a passive crossover assuming they will be on their own channel. i dont particully like this idea but if your planning to go active soon then its probably for the best.

Variable high-pass filter (60-13,000 Hz, 24 dB/octave)

i would probably go with a raw drive from partsexpress or madisound. where will the tweeter be installed? can you fit a large format model?

Yes the onyx. Also they will either be in the kick panels or on the a pillar depending on what I like. I can't fit too big on the a pillar but I can for a 2 in tweet in the kick panel. I'll be running them off the rear channel. So I can adjust the gain more precisely.

you will have to run them off channel 1 and 2 to use the xover on the amp. other wise you would need either a passive or active xover.

when we're talking large format, your looking at outer diameter about 4 1/8".

here's a good place to start.

http://zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

many of the small formats wont work for you. simply can't play low enough.

i would look at something like the dayton rs28

Edited by lithium

I forgot how big some of those tweets are haha, do you think the aluminum dome will be metallic sounding? I like how low they will play, should be perfect for blending.

Not all play as low as PE claims. There have been some quality issues...

Not sure if they still exist, but in the beginning it was surely the case. Considering what you are mating them with I wouldn't really say they will play that low either. The more output you need the higher the cross point generically speaking.

As for metallic sounding, well of course, they are metal; however, they are really nice tweeters so don't think that is a negative like the cheap metal drivers you've heard in the past.

Sean, do you have any silk or soft done recommendations? I would love to know what youve heard and liked.

What I like and what most people like on car audio boards aren't exactly the same. Part of the reason you never see me say, buy this, I love them!

Add to that what would work with a 6.5 pa speaker and you are left with even less. I know nothing of the Crescendo's, but a 6.5" a PA speaker is pretty much flat out a midrange. Going to need something high and something low. Of course you can use your sub for something low....assuming they really don't fall flat on their face early. If they are extremely efficient then they will. If they compensated and biased it the other way then it'll fall off fast up high. If it does that and is still lively you are beyond the realm of dome tweeters IMO. If you have to go that route, I may actually shop for something I've never recommended before and that is a tweeter that is larger than 1". You'll lose off axis response but potentially gain some power handling and surely get extension.

No matter what you are in huge compromise land. PA gear is always biased towards efficiency over extension and that is a tough compromise in the car audio realm.